My sister in law fighting for our outdoor rights

mike rousseau

Quite an eloquent defence of her org's viewpoint! :clapping:

That's what I thought too. The right person for the job she raised solid points. Sadly though, I often find that once Council's make up their minds to make changes such as this, without "first" seeking public input, that public input later becomes merely a production. Shawna shouldn't be speaking to have them "reverse" a decision.

My bet is one or two people with ties to council uses the park, doesn't like hunters, and that squeaky wheel is getting their grease. As it was said, there has never been an incident and the likelihood is slim to none there ever will be.

There's a lot more that needs to be fleshed out here. At first glance and as someone who knows nothing about this story, I'd have to say that hunters and trail users do not mix. And why someone would want to hunt in a bush that the public has access to for other recreational purposes seems odd to me. But then, why someone would want to hike a trail through a bush where people are hunting seems off too. However, I'd have to assume there are more "others" than hunters. And the others should have the right to feel safe without some yahoo shooting while they're on the trail (keep in mind there I'm not saying necessarily any hunters are like this, but all it takes is one incident to ruin it. Luckily there haven't been any yet).

Personally, I think it should be one or the other. Either it's for recreation, hiking, camping, etc. or it's for hunting. Even if it was just off limits to hikers for a few months in the fall/winter for hunting would make sense. Maybe a compromise. But to have both going on at the same time seems irresponsible.

There's a lot more that needs to be fleshed out here. At first glance and as someone who knows nothing about this story, I'd have to say that hunters and trail users do not mix. And why someone would want to hunt in a bush that the public has access to for other recreational purposes seems odd to me. But then, why someone would want to hike a trail through a bush where people are hunting seems off too. However, I'd have to assume there are more "others" than hunters. And the others should have the right to feel safe without some yahoo shooting while they're on the trail (keep in mind there I'm not saying necessarily any hunters are like this, but all it takes is one incident to ruin it. Luckily there haven't been any yet).

Personally, I think it should be one or the other. Either it's for recreation, hiking, camping, etc. or it's for hunting. Even if it was just off limits to hikers for a few months in the fall/winter for hunting would make sense. Maybe a compromise. But to have both going on at the same time seems irresponsible.

As a former hunter I agree with the above just not a good mix.....mom and dad... fluffy and the little ones and guys with 12 gauges...Nope

honest question, why cant they ban walking in the park unless you are hunting? It is on the exact same level of legality as someone fully licensed to hunt.

why are the hunters the ones that must suffer?

Because the hunters are the minority.

Agreed!

There's a season for hunting... there's no season on most other recreation and as Bill said, the hunters are the minority.

There's the answer? Close the park for recreation during the hunting season. Sounds fair considering the park is closed for hunting during the closed hunting season...which is a higher percentage of the year. I can hear the whining already! LOL

I work in a multi use forest where we have all types of recreation, including hunting. We have never had an issue with hunters, but had many, many, many issues with all the other user groups. Hunters are the easy group to deal with, they follow the rules, and are always respectful to other users. The other users, however, are a lot more "entitled" when it comes to using the forest.

The deer season is only 2 weeks of the year. If someone wants to hike or bike or whateve during that 2 weeks, throw on a cheap orange vest and have atter.

Hunters always get the short straw, and I'm sick of it.

S.

I work in a multi use forest where we have all types of recreation, including hunting. We have never had an issue with hunters, but had many, many, many issues with all the other user groups. Hunters are the easy group to deal with, they follow the rules, and are always respectful to other users. The other users, however, are a lot more "entitled" when it comes to using the forest.

The deer season is only 2 weeks of the year. If someone wants to hike or bike or whateve during that 2 weeks, throw on a cheap orange vest and have atter.

Hunters always get the short straw, and I'm sick of it.

S.

The restriction, according to the article is Dec 15 to March 15. so it would no affect deer hunting but rabbit and predator hunters would be SOL. Probably the snowmobilers doing the whining :wallbash:

The restriction, according to the article is Dec 15 to March 15. so it would no affect deer hunting but rabbit and predator hunters would be SOL. Probably the snowmobilers doing the whining :wallbash:

Or X-country skiiers....they are BRUTAL!!!

S.

The Binbrook Conservation Area is closed to non hunters during the duck/ goose hunt. It's been like that for a very long time but there are some who have to be educated when they try to walk in.. I used to man the gate 20 odd years ago as a volunteer to help keep the hunting program open.. these days the park employees look after it... you will have hikers who want to go in despite the signs and warnings...

This is stupid when you think of it........we all use the lakes as we see fit. Some water ski, jet bike, sail or just power boat around all while others are "trying" to fish. What's next, you can't fish in said lake because others are water skiing and it might be dangerous to be in their way.

This is stupid when you think of it........we all use the lakes as we see fit. Some water ski, jet bike, sail or just power boat around all while others are "trying" to fish. What's next, you can't fish in said lake because others are water skiing and it might be dangerous to be in their way.

I like to shoot some skeet from the boat...when the fishing slows.

Edited by scuro2