did I hear correct that Le Baron's is closing?!?!?

GBW

with the course that bass pro is taking, the fact that our options are even further limited makes it tough.

my last trip to bass pro (i hate shopping there in the first place but they had a tackle bag i really like)

i went to grab a couple of jigs and swimbait heads and grab a couple packs of BP swimbaits...get to the jig section, sure enough everything is completely cleared out, so i ask the rep where the hell everything is and he informs me that Bass pro is no longer carrying the majority of 3rd party products, they are now going to be selling Bass Pro Branded lures exclusively...and that was the last time i ever shopped at bass pro.

The weekend bobber and worm fisher won that one. Fek bass pro

I couldn't care less. I avoid all the big box stores, especially fishing ones, as much as possible. They put my neighbours and friends out of business. They take the profits out of the country. And they don't know where this fish are biting, They don't have service, they don't know who I am, but they want my phone number and postal code so they can send me sales info on stuff I have no interest in.

Give me Angling Outfitters, Grimsby Tackle, Natural Sports and the like any day.

Sy Ya Na Ra.

Just my $0.02

LeBarons is Canadian. So, they are not taking profits out of the country. If they close than some their business may be picked up by some of the retailers that that really do take profits out of the country.

Is Lebaron's considered big box? Sad they're closing. They are an old school canadian fishing retailer that had a chunk of business taken from them when the likes of bps moved into town. I remember loving to go to lebaron's as a kid with my dad before a fishing trip. Their tackle was always considered reasonably priced. They are also my go to for the common fishing and camping stuff and stock a selection of musky baits at decent prices. I know they had service issues but like Frank said above that was a few bad eggs, I found some of their staff were polite and service improved last few years. They should of embraced the omnichannel retail reality and worked on their return policy to keep up with the times. It's always sad to see fishing retailers go under.

Edited by JoshS

Is Lebaron's considered big box? If this is true I find it sad. They are an old school canadian fishing retailer that had a chunk of business taken from them when the likes of bps moved into town. I remember loving to go to lebaron's as a kid with my dad before a fishing trip. There tackle was always considered reasonably priced. They are also my go to for the common fishing and camping stuff and stock a selection of musky baits at decent prices. I know they had service issues but like Frank above that was a few bad eggs, I found some of their staff were polite and service improved last few years. They should of embraced the omnichannel retail reality and worked on their return policy to keep up with the times. It's always sad to see fishing retailers go under.

X2 With stores like Le Barons Sail etc you have to get what you need in the spring, or its gone especially in fishing, getting them to restock is almost always a no, LeBarons like Eddie Bauer the Outdoor Stores are iconic Canadian Companies and are in no way box stores like BPS or Cabelas

Is Lebaron's considered big box? If this is true I find it sad. They are an old school canadian fishing retailer that had a chunk of business taken from them when the likes of bps moved into town. I remember loving to go to lebaron's as a kid with my dad before a fishing trip. There tackle was always considered reasonably priced. They are also my go to for the common fishing and camping stuff and stock a selection of musky baits at decent prices. I know they had service issues but like Frank above that was a few bad eggs, I found some of their staff were polite and service improved last few years. They should of embraced the omnichannel retail reality and worked on their return policy to keep up with the times. It's always sad to see fishing retailers go under.

I don't consider them to be a big box store. But they are not a ma and pa shop either. They are somewhere inbetween.

I don't consider them to be a big box store. But they are not a ma and pa shop either. They are somewhere inbetween.

It was a family owned business that was quite successful for many years. Many started small , I recall the Columbia catalog over 30 years ago was a half dozen pages of fishing vests and the back was their quad parka, none of the yuppie crap. Also growing up near Welland, the now furniture giant Leons was a single family owned store and I believe the family still controls the empire. Seems you are only allowed to get successful to a certain point.

I haven't been since I stopped working in Markham 3 1/2 years ago but it is sad that the smaller places are getting forced out. I was told by someone who was there on Sat that they intend to keep the Markham store as long as they can and the others are done for sure. So maybe the Markham store will last? Who knows...

Just got back from the Mississauga store. Discounts are as previously mentioned. Still lots of stuff but Canada Goose is sold out and survival suits were only XXL or larger. They are giving away the 2016 catalogue and are selling LeBaron t-shirts for those who want to hold on to some history. The guy at the check-out had no idea how long the sale will last or if discounts will increase over time.

LeBaron has been my go to store for almost 30 years. I remember going to the Sportsman show years ago and getting a catalogue or having it arrive in the mail. I also remember the store on Yonge Street and echo the comments about bad customer service at both GTA locations. Prices couldn't be beat though.

Jon

Cut and paste from their website:

We are sad to announce that after 58 years our Canadian-owned family business will be closing its doors. We want to thank all of our loyal customers for being a huge part of the success of our company. It has truly been an honour and pleasure to bring you great outdoor products at discount prices for all these years.

Our old school charm of service and best price will continue until our doors close…
so please come in, soak up some history, and pick up a deal on some great gear!

Hey Terry, remember when I called down and they held the floor model float tube.(last they had in stock) We got there at open when I said I would be the next day , and they had my name on it. I said I would be there opening sharp. And we were. And there it was, Waiting for me. It was just a phone call and my word,and thiers to hold it for me.

I would say thats service.

Edited by Brian B

I almost didn't believe it when my friend who is an employee posted it up on Facebook. I've been a regular customer for many years. I know the staff at the Markham location very well and fished with a few of the guys. Overall it was a great place to shop and it will be missed :(

Anyone been lately? is there much left? and when does it actually close?

Thanks for any info....not sure if its worth the drive just to be nosey

I was at the Markham location this morning. My friend and I picked up the last 2 Stradic FK reels. Still decent amounts of stock left although popular items like 8lb Berkley XL mono, powerpro, split shots, higher end spinning reels are mostly gone. I went in looking to stock up on only split shots, hooks and a few lures. I ended up spending much much more than I was planning to.LOL

I asked when they were going to be closed. The only answer I got was when everything is gone (including the light bulbs).

I wonder if the whole 'closed on sunday' thing is part of what hurt them.

they never moved with the times in that regard. back when I worked retail it was common for almost 50% of our business to be done Saturday and sundays. granted, it wasn't fishing retail, but generally, the store was busy on the weekends and not so much during the week when most people worked.

not being open sundays just causes people to go to the competition when they want to shop on that particular day.

Basspro and Sail are open Sundays.. Le Barons never was on Sunday.

pure speculation on my part, but I think it might not have helped.

Wanted to go pickup some berkley plastics and planos ... guess going from Oshawa to the location is definitely NOT worth my time.

Reels ... no JDM models.
Rods ... no St Croix, Phenix, 13 Fishing, Halo, Kistler.
Lures ... no Megabass, Imakatsu, Nories, Lucky Craft, Duo Realis, Keitech, Jackall, OSP.
Lines ... no FINS, Sunline, YGK.

Dropped off the wife to work on Saturday (she was working in Richmond Hill).

Was curious as to what kind of deal the G Loomis Rods would be at so decided to swing by the Woodbine location ... this was around 2pm Saturday.

Ooops ... made a right on Highway 7 to go south on Woodbine ...

GOSH! The lineup of cars trying to get into the damn puny parking lot. A crap load of people lining up just to enter the building.

Didn't bother to make a left turn into the FULLY JAMMED parking lot. So I hung a left at Yorktech Dr. and then made my way to Bass City (Highway 7 and Kennedy Rd.) in the Subway Plaza just past the railway tracks ...

Had a much better time there looking for a rod to replace my 6'6" Clarus.

Bass City has a way better selection of crankbaits, rods, lines.

the Mississauga location has never carried St. Croix rods

not sure about the others. again, I think they were missing the boat by not carrying one of the most popular brands out there.

people like st. Croix and will go elsewhere to get them, be able to shop on sundays etc.

a lot of little things add up and the result itsn't good for business.

on facebook people were really saying how rude most of the staff were at many of their locations. I didn't find that.