Fishing wear and tear

Well at the ripe old age if 31 I may have developed tendonitis through the repetitive movements of fishing (till the day I die I'll say it's cause the fish I catch are too big lol)

Self diagnosed bit I'm calling the doctor tomorrow for an appointment...

Anyone else develope any injuries like this?

Were you able to figure out a solution?

Mike

Back, knees shoulder and elbows are all toast.

Not all fishing related but they effect my enjoyment of the passion.

Back, shoulder and knees are helped with Aleve and the elbows with elbow braces.

If you have wrist issues look into a brace for it.

lost more than one large salmon to it. 15 years as a mover did a nice job on hands, elbows and shoulders.Sometimes the hands go numb,and loose all strength. Cant drive a tiller because it either. Exercise and being aware is what I have chosen. Some things I just can't do anymore.

I got tennis elbow a few years ago after 2 straight days of ripping bucktails for walleyes. Really painful. A week of rest and icing it whenever I could really helped. It cleared itself in about 5 days. That's the only fishing related issue I've had.

I did develop tendinitis in both elbows from trolling in fast water on the Ottawa. A tension band helps when it flares up. The Dr. definitely related it to fishing. He wouldn't give me a script for a rod holder or downrigger like I asked. It flares up when swinging a hammer and too much golfing. It never goes away vompletely. Try Voltaren it does help.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My first run at tendinitis 1990 so bad my tournament partner would pry my hand open after 9am to set hook.

Like everybody I thought just wear the arm bands when it starts to get sore. "WRONG" don't let them get sore. I have a pair of arm bands in the boat, in the truck, several in the house. If I'm doing any activity they are on my arms.

My plan pays partly so I get a pair every year.

And have a professional show how to wear them. Tight is not right. Every year I show somebody, MOST DON'T LISTEN.

Ice it up 20 minutes at a time and don't move it for 10 minutes after taking the ice off. Tendinitis where? I had tennis elbow (top of elbow) for 2 years but found a way to work just by adjusting the position of my elbow, worked okay for a while but ended up with golfer's elbow(bottom of the elbow) , worse thing I did was try cortisone shots. it was great no pain for 3 months but when it came back I could hardly use my elbow.

Good luck!!

yup30yrs of pulling cannonballs up and down on lake Ontario,as well as fighting thousands of salmon,major aches and pains...as well as regular fishing and being in the boat for up too 15hrs at a time....it goes on and on plus 3 back surgeries......it all flares up whn im fishing but the show must go on.....

fishing musky for 12 hours with blades is probably one of the most painful experiences I have ever had doing something enjoyable lol

keep your body in good shape, eat right and excercise and many of these problems fix themselves...easier said than done though.

Edited by AKRISONER

When we were young and fit we would start doing more aerobic work in the winter to prepare to bushwack fish for Trout in the back woods of Orangeville and Varney area, I called it Viet Nam. The same when we portaged beaver dams with 14' tinnies, 9.9's gas and tackle up in the Long Lac area. I stopped doing that because it just wasn't physically possible. Fitness is important even for a "non physical" activity as fishing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

When we were young and fit we would start doing more aerobic work in the winter to prepare to bushwack fish for Trout in the back woods of Orangeville and Varney area, I called it Viet Nam. The same when we portaged beaver dams with 14' tinnies, 9.9's gas and tackle up in the Long Lac area. I stopped doing that because it just wasn't physically possible. Fitness is important even for a "non physical" activity as fishing.

Oh my I miss those trips, and hate them at the same time lol.

I always got stuck carrying the motor, always.

But getting into some of those lakes sure made alot of great memories.

Our last trip I just posted about, my pops was talking about buting a 12 or 14 footer.

So I have a feeling more of these trips are planned.

So Ive got time to convince him that paddles work well lol