Trailer/Fish Hut

DanD

The plan is to drive to the lake towing the trailer with the snowmobile on it. Get to the lake, unload the snowmobile and then hook the trailer/fish hut to the snowmobile.

Been working on this for a while; bought the 1500lb cap. tilt trailer last year

966.jpg

Put a 7'X10' deck on it, to haul the sled around.

967.jpg

Made up a set of skies, out of a 16' extension ladder (love Kijiji for cheap stuff) that attach to the wheels of the trailer, with a ratchet straps. I was able to haul out all our gear and three guys; all on the trailer at once. It actually pulled so easy that I kept looking back; thinking the trailer came off the hitch.

968.jpg

A friend had the tubing from one of those portable garages; that I thought would make a great frame for the enclosure of the trailer.

969.jpg

After welding all the tubing togeather and some cross bracing, made from 1" X 1/8" flat stock; it really firmed up the tube frame. Also roughed in the window(s) and furnace frame. Yes a 25,000 BTU RV furnace. I fish a lot outside; but when I want to get warm, it has to happen fast. LOL

970.jpg

971.jpg

I then started skinning the hut with 24 gage sheet metal. Overlapped the seams by 2" and pop riveted every 3".

972.jpg

973.jpg

974.jpg

975.jpg

Shot a coat of primer on the inside and out and then painted it with Tremclad dark blue gloss.

976.jpg

977.jpg

978.jpg

Installed the furnace.

992.jpg

Pre-wired the hut for the furnace, lighting, power ports (Cig Lighters), circulating fan (PC cooling fans) and an on-board battery charger/maintainer. I also installed a circuit that I can flip a toggle switch and have all the exterior lights flash like a car's 4 way lights. Should make it easier for people, who are meeting me out on the ice to find me?

979.jpg

Then it was insulation time, installing the ducting for the furnace and build the benches.

980.jpg

981.jpg

982.jpg

984.jpg

985.jpg

986.jpg

987.jpg

988.jpg

989.jpg

That's it so far. I still need to install the propane regulator and line to the furnace. Make the hinged lids for the benches and OH yea cut the holes. LOL

Here's what I'm hoping to do for the floor/hole plan. Probably never fish with 6 people in so I may not cut all of them in?

991.jpg

Depending on how well this whole thing works out; I plan on changing the axle to a drop down and get the frame down on the ice.

For now I'm going to try using those roll up kid's sleds (magic carpet?) that Crappy tire sells. There should be enough spring in the plastic; that when put through the hole rolled up from inside the hut, down to the ice; it should try and unroll and make a nice fit and stop the wind from blowing into the hut?

I'm open for suggestions for things I may not of thought of?

Dan.

Nice Hut on Wheels!

Wish there was frozen water close by and I would have been working on a similar project. Nice RX7 in the back!

Thanks.

That's why there's wheels; may have to go looking for safe ice?

That's my son's 1987 RX7; with a bit more power then originally supplied with from the factory. It now has a LS1 5.7Lt (Corvette/Camaro V8) that has had a lot of performance work done to it. Behind the motor, there's a 6 speed manual from a Corvette. The last we had the car on a dyno, it was pushing better then 450 Hp at the wheels.

Scary but fun little car; at only 1800 Lbs. LOL

Dan.

Awesome job! I love looking at other people's projects. To stop the wind from coming up the fishing holes cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon pail. Insert the pail down your hole to the ice. Job done! Make sure you cut the holes in your hut floor to suit the diameter of the pail. Crazy carpet is good also. The bottomless pails are stackable for storage.

How much do you figure the whole thing weighs?

S.

The trailer itself is 250 Lbs; I have tried my best to track the weight that I have added and i believe the total weight is approx 1000 -1100 Lbs

Last year with the three guys on and our gear was Approx 800 Lbs plus the trailer weight and like I said I thought I lost the trailer, coming off the pavement onto the ice; it pulled so easy.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Really nice job. I can see you have did your very best at keeping the weight factor to a minimum also. I had a smaller version and found the pails worked better than the magic carpet. They stayed in place better in windy days.

I'm looking to make improvements and can't seem to find any. Let us know how everything goes once it"s put into operation.

Cool. Very nice work. Thought about building one like that before.

I like windows on all sides. 6-8 holes should be lots. Don't cut the four center ones. Then you can walk around and stretch. Build you seats like a comfy chair.

Do you have a fridge and tv lol.

Haven't quite finished yet; there's been no real rush, with the lack of what I consider safe ice; for this size of hut. It is coming though; got the benches finished and cut the holes in the floor.

The four corners are all the same.

The holes are not as round as I wanted; but that happens when you have had a couple of cocktails, while you're working on a project. :oops:

IMG_0758_zpsl1gv7wnd.jpg

I did go with the 12 holes; but the lids will have latches, so the holes not being used will not be an issue. I also cut the holes on a 45° angle, so that the lids will not fall through the opening and is strong enough to walk on.

IMG_0767_zps2lqjvtjz.jpg

I've also added the (DOT) reflective tape and found/bought (Don't ask how much; I didn't and felt obliged to buy it, being special ordered) this flag to put on the door.

If someone on a snowmobile can't see this at night; they'd have to be legally blind. LOL

Dan

IMG_0763_zpssohwyjpc.jpg

Edited by DanD