Fun time at customs

mike rousseau

Sooooo....

I'm pretty anal about declaring everything I purchase in the good ol US of A and drive back through Canadian customs... I used try hide a few lures here and there but the stress wasn't worth the few $$ in taxes I was dodging...

So today I went to pick up a package of jigging raps cause all the local shops don't carry the size and color I wanted...

My dad asked me (by text) to pick up a package for him but I refused cause he didn't have documentation for the merchandise (like I said im anal about this stuff...) in the end he texted me saying nevermind they are illigal in Canada... (That part of the story in very important)

So I got to customs and the guy was extra thorough today... He asked why I was in USA... I explained I got a package of lures for $56...

I had my fishing gear in the truck like every other time I've crossed the border... He asked where it came from... I replied asking him if he wanted a specific breakdown of each item and also informed him I could prove the date of purchase on most of the equipment through my cabelas account...

He then asked about my 5gal gas tank in the back... I said it was full before I went over and I hadn't purchased gas while in the USA... It's so I'm never stranded.... He didn't believe me...

Soooo...

I get pulled in for a vehicle search... They check my phone and see the text from my dad (told you it was important) about the package of illigal flea collars... They asked about it and I replied that as the texts show I refused to pick up the package...

So they call the shipping/receiving store I send my packages to and they say I picked up 2 PACKAGES!!!! When I only picked up 1...

That's when things got a little interesting... The customs officers informed me the store said I picked up 2 packages and then they got more aggressive with me threatening to detain me all day... I simply replied that as long as I could call work I'll stay all day till we sort this out.... (I'm assuming that threat work on people smuggling merchandise?)

At this point we take things inside where I undergo a minor strip search/pat down and more questioning... I had them call the store back cause I knew that I picked up a package a week earlier and there was also my dad's package with the same last name still at the store... So maybe they made a mistake...

Sure enough the 2nd mystery package was the one I picked up and declared at customs Dec 5th... They confirmed my dad's package (illigal dog collars) was still at the shop and not in my keister... Wich was great for my keister's sake...

They let me go on my way after that...

I was a little surprised that they didn't apologize after finding out the store who supplies intel for them gave them the wrong information causing me to be detained longer and searched... The rest of the ordeal I'm ok with... They were being thurough but that mistake could have been really bad for me... They could have torn apart my vehicle based on bad info...

Anyways jigging raps are in my ice box and I have an interesting story to talk about tonight... Lol

Edited by Mike Rousseau

It's always worse coming to Canada...I feel your pain, have some fun stories myself....at least you're laughing about it now, and not walking funny!

My experience is that US customs takes longer and they ask more probing questions.

Canadian customs is pretty easy in comparison

Customs can do almost anything they wish

CO's actually have more power to search than police, at least they did at one time. I've seen them work in pairs quite some time ago. When I waterfowled and lived at Long Point , the RCMP were the sticklers on the waterfowl regs.

Not sure if it is still the case, but it used to be if you had a password on your cell or computer, they can't access without your permission, which you are free to withhold. I believe they need a warrant - or they used to. Which can cause some delays......

Don't be surprised if your Dad is flagged in the system. Happens to commercial drivers all the time - get stopped once with a concern and almost every time after until it gets cleared up you get invited in

Cross enough times without the Nexus or FAST card and sooner or later you'll see secondary.

Not sure if it is still the case, but it used to be if you had a password on your cell or computer, they can't access without your permission, which you are free to withhold. I believe they need a warrant - or they used to. Which can cause some delays......

Don't be surprised if your Dad is flagged in the system. Happens to commercial drivers all the time - get stopped once with a concern and almost every time after until it gets cleared up you get invited in

Cross enough times without the Nexus or FAST card and sooner or later you'll see secondary.

They dont need a warrant, at least US customs.

And if ya tried to withhold the password get ready to call a towtruck.

Not sure about canadian customs though you may be correct???

Edited by manitoubass2