homemade detox ideas

huzzsaba

Not a new years resolution but have started working on getting more active for better long term health. Trying to do 20 mins brisk walk daily and would like to compliment that with a detox. I am sure some of you have tried this so looking for ideas on homemade blends or food schedules/types that work and won't break the bank lol. There is way too much online so I would like to hear some real experiences of dos and dont's.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by huzzsaba

The term "detox" is controversial.

Not really any such thing.

Your liver does a great job of detoxifying hazardous substances.

Specific foods don't.

Check quack watch.com

Best advice I know:

Be as active as you can.

Lose weight if you are heavy.

Don't smoke.

Keep alcohol down.

Reduce your stress level.

Eat a variety of things

Mostly plants

Not too much.

The rest is fluff IMO.

Well now,

Eat veggies such as Beets, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, great interior body cleansers and cancer protectors.

Eat small amount of fruits and yogurt with your meals, low fat or skim milk as a beverage, water is good also.

Cut back on red meat, lower alcohol intake, At least 30 minutes of exercise per day.

Watch your carb intake, do a blood test for cholesterol and triglyceride levels, ( fats in your blood ).

No Smoking, that's a no brainer.

If you are over your Body Mass Index numbers, now is the time to lose weight.

Avoid stress situations if possible.

Smile at life and it will smile back at you.

Just MHO.

The term "detox" is controversial.

Not really any such thing.

Your liver does a great job of detoxifying hazardous substances.

Specific foods don't.

Check quack watch.com

Best advice I know:

Be as active as you can.

Lose weight if you are heavy.

Don't smoke.

Keep alcohol down.

Reduce your stress level.

Eat a variety of things

Mostly plants

Not too much.

The rest is fluff IMO.

Everything the Captain said. Except the stress. Stress is not bad for you. Stress is a good thing. If you are stressed you are in the game. Stress is our body reacting to situations that need attention. I'm stressed out everyday at work and I love it. Keeps you sharp. Stress levels increase when stuff matters. If you are stressed, than what you are doing matters to you. That's a good thing. I loathe the anti stress movement. I think it is an excuse machine.

Imagine your body like you are living in a lot cabin in the heart of Ontario with no electricity and at the centre is the wood stove (or your stomach).

As soon as you wake up you want to get the fire started. But if you try with a log, it won't work. Kindling and newspaper (don't know where you get newspaper in the bush, bear with me). So that's fruits, veggies, something light no later then 30 minutes when you wake up.

Now you want to keep that fire hot. Don't want it going out on you and having to light it again and you don't want to smother it. So lots of small pieces of wood throughout the day (veggies, lean meats, fish but not big meals). As the day gets longer you don't want a heavy fire burning before bed so, in the evening hold back from putting too much wood on the fire (not big meals in the evening).

Should work really well. Cranks your metabolism to the max.

Imagine your body like you are living in a lot cabin in the heart of Ontario with no electricity and at the centre is the wood stove (or your stomach).

As soon as you wake up you want to get the fire started. But if you try with a log, it won't work. Kindling and newspaper (don't know where you get newspaper in the bush, bear with me). So that's fruits, veggies, something light no later then 30 minutes when you wake up.

Now you want to keep that fire hot. Don't want it going out on you and having to light it again and you don't want to smother it. So lots of small pieces of wood throughout the day (veggies, lean meats, fish but not big meals). As the day gets longer you don't want a heavy fire burning before bed so, in the evening hold back from putting too much wood on the fire (not big meals in the evening).

Should work really well. Cranks your metabolism to the max.

That is a brilliant analogy.

A true 'detox' diet involves eating lean protein, leafy greens and VERY low carbohydrates. What this does is help to ease your dependance on processed sugar which is highly addictive. Your liver takes a beating helping to process a lot of sugar as does your pancreas. Needless to say, if you can do this for 3 weeks, you will lose weight and feel much better. This diet/detox (which is really just a diet) is one that a good friend of mine who is one of the grandaddies of naturopathic medicine, gave to me when I was battling cancer. So, no fruit, no grains, no onions, carrots, potatoes, red peppers, brussel sprouts... these are high in sugars. Lots of kale, spinach, lettuce, chard and the like. Lemon is very good, it helps the liver and kidneys (coming from one of the top nephrologists in T.O.). No processed meats and very little salt. This diet is the one put out by Dr Poon as well. He's the guy that called Bernstein a quack.