I had a boat stolen, rant/ vent included

chris.brock

This is going to sound stupid but so be it. I had a dream Saturday night my Jon boat was getting stolen. I have these dreams once in a while. Sunday, I drove to where my boat was stored, and sure enough, it was gone.

My cottage friends and me are sick and tired of loosing crap to theft. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Trail camera, try and bait the guy, sit in the bush watching the bait, bring the 12 gauge? This is the 3rd rip off from me in 6 months, I'm pissed.

The cop showed up quick after I reported the theft. I liked the guy. I'm going to say this anyways- the cops are out cruising the lakes, harassing the good people asking if the boat driver has a beer in the boat and if he has a pealess whistle, meanwhile I'm out a grand to replace what I've lost. GET THE REAL DIRT BAGS! Pisses me right off!

10' Tracker Jon, grey plastic seat mounted, crude holes cut in the bench to fix the seat, 2x6 across the gunnels for my downrigger, leaks like a sieve (it's a Tracker)

Moore Falls, near Minden and Norland

Edited by chris.brock

That sucks, happening more and more in northern areas

My boss has had 6 boats stolen or destroyed via shot gun in the last 3 years in Temagami, the latest was a 17ft aluminum, someone cut the heavy chain it was locked to to steal it, the others he had a 14ft fibreglass squareback canoe sunk on him, he found in the spring blown apart by the ice that formed in it, others have had the transom and gunnels blown apart by shot gun cause they were chained and locked. He has them all on the banks of back lakes up there so he just has to portage his motor in. Its common for people up there to borrow a boat, but then they return it to where they got it. Stealing it or destroying it is just plain ignorant

Sorry to hear that chris, maybe you can get lucky in craigslist or kijiji if they are dumb enough.

These stories are just too common and i hope yours has a better ending than most. Good luck bud.

Edit to add, bird season is coming to simcoe ill keep my eye out for anything matching that description this fall.

Edited by Gallie

That sucks, happening more and more in northern areas

My boss has had 6 boats stolen or destroyed via shot gun in the last 3 years in Temagami, the latest was a 17ft aluminum, someone cut the heavy chain it was locked to to steal it, the others he had a 14ft fibreglass squareback canoe sunk on him, he found in the spring blown apart by the ice that formed in it, others have had the transom and gunnels blown apart by shot gun cause they were chained and locked. He has them all on the banks of back lakes up there so he just has to portage his motor in. Its common for people up there to borrow a boat, but then they return it to where they got it. Stealing it or destroying it is just plain ignorant

Sounds more like a turf war than theft. Talk to Wayne, see what he thinks.

This is going to sound stupid but so be it. I had a dream Saturday night my Jon boat was getting stolen. I have these dreams once in a while. Sunday, I drove to where my boat was stored, and sure enough, it was gone.

My cottage friends and me are sick and tired of loosing crap to theft. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Trail camera, try and bait the guy, sit in the bush watching the bait, bring the 12 gauge? This is the 3rd rip off from me in 6 months, I'm pissed.

The cop showed up quick after I reported the theft. I liked the guy. I'm going to say this anyways- the cops are out cruising the lakes, harassing the good people asking if the boat driver has a beer in the boat and if he has a pealess whistle, meanwhile I'm out a grand to replace what I've lost. GET THE REAL DIRT

BAGS! Pisses me right off!

10' Tracker Jon, grey plastic seat mounted, crude holes cut in the bench to fix the seat, 2x6 across the gunnels for my downrigger, leaks like a sieve (it's a Tracker)

Moore Falls, near Minden and Norland

I feel your frustration, I do but blaming cops that are just doing their job doesn't fix the issue. Yes your $1000 boat got stolen but maybe that cop stopped a boater from drinking and boating. And maybe that saved a persons life.... Who knows, I know my loved ones lives are worth more then $1000.

With out sounding like a D bag, the best advise I can give you is stop making your property easy to steal. The harder it is to steal the easier it is to keep.

that sucks,I hate thieves.,biggest d-bags that call themselves fisherman.2 years ago i had 3 B/C combos stolen out of my boat packed ready for my trip in the early am. I still get pissed thinking about it. I would love to catch them in the act.They were worth about 1000 comined. Hopefully you find the scum who did it and the boat.

Who's your boss Floatnfly... and what lakes? It might give some clues as to who is doing it..

i dunno what lakes specifically, he had like 18 boats in total on different lakes, i know his cottage is on island 7km from town, I think he has a pretty good idea of who took his 17ft boat, just needs a couple of people with him to confront the guy

I feel your frustration, I do but blaming cops that are just doing their job doesn't fix the issue. Yes your $1000 boat got stolen but maybe that cop stopped a boater from drinking and boating. And maybe that saved a persons life.... Who knows, I know my loved ones lives are worth more then $1000.

With out sounding like a D bag, the best advise I can give you is stop making your property easy to steal. The harder it is to steal the easier it is to keep.

Nope, not in my books, I'll butt heads every time on this topic. My lake is cool, everybody gets along, there's no complaints, we don't need cops suntanning and writing tickets to the good guys when there's dirt bags stealing our crap from behind our backs, pisses me right off.

Come to a lake on a complaint only basis. In their "free" time, catch some real crooks. My wife and I pay huge tax dollars, don't damn me, damn them. It's not the individual cops fault, it's the protocol, Pisses me right off,

That sucks Chris !!! Well you know me I am at about 15-20 different lakes all summer long show a pucture of the boat if you can and I will keep an eye out for it ..... I just noticed too that last week at one of 4 different lakes I fished that someone tried to break into my truck my door handle is broken and some D-bag must have tried to pry open my door at the boat launch as most of the lakes I fish are out of the way spots out vehicles are sitting ducks while we are out in the boat .... Prickks !! Hope it's found for sure Shawn

I had a cottage in Kinmount and the family that owned the 1000 acres around the us were the biggest worry for theft.. it's likely a local that makes a living from theft. I would put up a spy point camera that has a remote receiver for the SD card. That way you can tell who did it even if they destroy or take the camera..

Nope, not in my books, I'll butt heads every time on this topic. My lake is cool, everybody gets along, there's no complaints, we don't need cops suntanning and writing tickets to the good guys when there's dirt bags stealing our crap from behind our backs, pisses me right off.

Come to a lake on a complaint only basis. In their "free" time, catch some real crooks. My wife and I pay huge tax dollars, don't damn me, damn them. It's not the individual cops fault, it's the protocol, Pisses me right off,

I totally agree ,when my neighbours garage and truck were broken into it took 24 hours for the cops to show up to write it up,yet in my 10 minute commute to work everyday I will pass 2-3 sitting waiting to catch the hardass criminal who is driving 10 km/hr over on their way to work