Boat crash on Scugog injures 9 including infant baby.

Old Ironmaker

Ah,,, I can't paste the link. 2 boats collided putting 9 in hospital after crash on Lake Skugog the Hamilton Spectator reports yesterday. The 6 month old infant was trapped and a witness swam out and rescued the baby. That's about all the article said other than the others were plucked from the water. Typical Spec reporting not all W5's answered. Does anyone have anymore info?

There's plenty of room out there on the water but it happens. I pilot a pals 28 footer and another buddy's 23 foot Cuddy and the sightlines are terrible unless on plane and even on plane the 28 is tough to see deadheads and fishing nets when they come up fast. So I only go as fast as I feel comfortable which of course for the 20 somethings on board isn't fast enough. Maybe I need a booster seat? Is what I say here a problem for all big boats without a fly bridge? Any tips to share?

Johnny D

Edited by Old Ironmaker

A few years ago my neighbour and I were out on his seadoo, we were going up the Scugog river toward Lindsay and there was a boat in front of ushe let off his throttle and so did Darren. A 23'cruser ramed into us, took a chunk out of our hull and just missed my leg by about 2". Turns out it was a Dr. from Toronto. Fortunatly in our case, no one was hurt and he quickly agreed to pay for the damages but it was a close call. Hope everyone in this latest incident is ok.

Typical Kawartha lakes citiot weekend gong show I'm glad it was not a lot worse .... Seen many near misses and have said for years a big one is gonna happen and I'm sure sturgeon lake will be it there is 42-46ft offshore racing boats on my lake with 500-1,000hp it's insane on the kawarthas but not surprising to us that live here

I had a close call on the French a few weeks ago. I was running to another spot....bright sun in my eyes. I had my sunglasses on and my hand up to block the sun.....saw a kayaker in front of me about 10 seconds before impact.

She was out in the middle of the main channel. I turned around and apologized, but also cautioned her to stay closer to the sides. My boat only does 30kmph....other boats fly.

She was out in the middle of the main channel. I turned around and apologized, but also cautioned her to stay closer to the sides. My boat only does 30kmph....other boats fly.

Im glad you turned back Pete. Nice of you. BUT

also cautioned her to stay closer to the sides.

Why? You were in conditions that required you to slow down and pay attention. It could of been a yaker that has done this for many years. I head out on the lake here on my toon. Ya I know I am small out there, but not small enough to be seen. Care and control.

Im sure if it was I you seen and returned ,I would of said thanks for turning around and saying sorry. But I would also replied back as I already posted.

Edit to add

Not busting you here. This is JMO.

Edited by Brian B

We boat here on Erie, a fairly large liquid desert. Some weekends it's like the 401. If someone sees another boat fishing they have to pull right along side. Don't follow me unless you want a limit of farm animals. Then you have to dodge the commercial boats dropping boxes. Just today a guy pulling kids on a tube thought it was a good idea to zoom through all the guys trolling.

Nuts, please take care.

Why? You were in conditions that required you to slow down and pay attention. It could of been a yaker that has done this for many years. I head out on the lake here on my toon. Ya I know I am small out there, but not small enough to be seen. Care and control.

Im sure if it was I you seen and returned ,I would of said thanks for turning around and saying sorry. But I would also replied back as I already posted.

Edit to add

I agree with Brian. If you don't have clear sight then you better slow down. It is your responsibility to see and avoid kayaks and other boaters; not their responsibility to stay or your way.

Edit to add

Totally agree!!! She was just so low profile...it scared the crap outta me. I wasnt cautioning her cause she did something wrong...just cautioning her that for her safety she should stay to the side. A bass boat ripping along wouldnt have time.

Edit to add

Want to be clear....I was in the wrong here...but it was a wake up call for me. I am a very experienced boater and take boat safety very seriously.

You guys are both correct. Pete, nice of you to give her the heads up. She may not have realized she was not visible in the sinking sun. Besides, if she gets hammered by a boat, being in the right wont help much. When I used to ride motorcycles we used to say don't worry about being right, worry about staying alive.

A few years ago for an example I seen a young girl out almost in the middle of the lake over a kilometer from shore on a Saturday in the summer mid afternoon on a dollar store blow up raft about 4 feet long and maybe 6 inches thick no life jacket and huge 30-40 ft cabin cruisers & wake board boats just flying by .....or the boats with no lights on it just goes on & on !!! On the bright side it's almost Labor Day and after that the gong show will be thinning out pretty good and the fishermen can have the lakes back and be in relative peace & quiet ....come on fall ....almost big bass & walleye time

Not much more info this AM on this crash other than a much larger boat collided with a smaller vessel. I have to mention the guy that swam out and rescued the baby that was trapped under the 2 boats is a real life hero in anyone's books. I hope they publish his name but a guy like that usually doesn't want recognition.

Quite a few near misses out here on Erie this weekend. We went for a nice boat ride Saturday and turned back after an hour as it was a Zoo out there. Some jerk was bombing around on a yellow SeaDoo jet boat coming too close to swimmers at Turkey Point last weekend. Someone got a good pic of the guy but the hull numbers couldn't be seen. I guess all hell broke loose out Pt. Burwell way when a boater cut off a guys lines and he lost 2 downriggers when this duffus ran full speed across his stern. Can't fix stupid but I'd like to try some days.

i dont know how you kawartha regulars do it...I nearly lost my mind fishing upper buckhorn a few weeks back and its generally the least busy of all the lakes.

I cant help but just sit and laugh at the guys with the cigarette boats ripping through the channels...dont we get away from the city and go to the lake to try get away from the obnoxious noise? I guess not all of us.

Glad theres none of this Bull up in PAB.

Still had lots of room but didn't see a kayaker last year in the evening thanks to sun in the eyes. Could have been bad.

Kayak was blue and owner wore dark colours.

I told the guy it would be in his best interest to wear bright clothes or bright life jacket.

I know he has the right of way but it's his life on the line.

It isn't the first and definitely won't be the last collision on the water in the Kawarthas. The lakes are packed with over sized boats and kayakers alike. People need to slow down. I really can't understand the reasons to buy 20+ foot boats for the kawarthas, that's just my opinion though. There is a section on the lower end of Pigeon lake that is vary narrow due to the Rice growth and people fly through that area doing 60+ miles/hour, an accident waiting to happen I tell you. I avoid the lake on the weekend and I know many of my neighbours have their homes for sale due to the increase in traffic on and around the lakes.

Two guys from my work got ran over last year on rice. They were trolling in a 14ft tinny and an 18ft bowrider ran into them broadside. Luckily no injuries, but their boat was smashed to smitherines.

I would like to fish at night more around here, but there are just too many people on the water with no brains, that im not comfortable being out there in the dark.

Once labour day rolls around the lakes are desolate most of the time.

S.