Turn Your Phone's GPS OFF

Sterling

Thought long and hard whether I wanted to open this can of worms... figured I might save one of you guys from getting in trouble. Then again, this might get someone in trouble too.

When you take a photo with any device, additional data is written to the image file. This data, called EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format), stores information about the photo and the device that took it. This includes;

• Camera model
  • Resolution
  • Software
  • Post-processing
  • Exposure time
  • Flash yes/no
  • Camera pointing direction
  • Much more....

And GPS COORDINATES - but only if your GPS is on (duh). So by sharing photos of your fish, you could be inadvertently sharing the lake on which it was caught. If the photo was taken right where the fish was caught (as they often are), you're also sharing the exact spot on the lake.

I was able to use EXIF data to pull GPS coordinates right off photos here at OFC, so this is not theory, it is real.

Some devices make use of A-GPS, meaning you don't need an actual GPS to get coordinates. These devices use cell towers to triangulate your location. I don't own such a device but they are quite popular (most Apple tablets for example). I don't know if it's possible to turn this off.

What's more, EXIF also stores the exact time and date the picture was taken. I found photos of fish caught out of season right here on OFC (people just wait and post them when in season).

The DO's and DONT'S:

• DO turn off your GPS when you don't need it. It sucks up lots of battery power anyway.
  • DO use photobucket or imgur to upload photos. These services strip EXIF data on upload.
  • DON'T fish out of season, jerk.

Here's an example using a turtle picture I took a couple months ago:

0RQFTHd.jpg

Anyway, hope this saves someone from inadvertently sharing their favorite spot(s).

There are apps out there you can get that will do the same as photobucket and remove the gps coordinates, 9 times out of 10 i wouldnt care if people knew but there are exceptions. If i had to do years of searching and ground work to find a lake in the bush that finally produces what i want, i wouldnt want the whole of the internet to know too. However i might trade it for another spot from a member via pm.

The app i have is called koredoko i believe.

Very good advice, which a lot of us (ahem) older folks would not know. I did post a fishing picture on another website and a tech-savvy buddy of mine let me know that the picture had the GPS coordinates in it. The photo had been taken by a buddy with his cell phone, then sent to me via e-mail. THEN I uploaded it to a photo-hosting site that I use, and then posted it to the fishing website. So that GPS info travelled with that picture through several devices and processes!!!

Fortunately my ancient camera does not have GPS, and I don't think my cell phone has GPS, but it can't take a picture anyway.

Thanks for posting this!

Doug

On a mobile phone, OK, but don't go accusing people for OOS fish based on a datestamp if it's a regular camera. I pretty much never have my date and time set properly on my cameras because it's too much hassle for no real point. Some of them drift a lot, some of them reset whenever you pull the battery. I guess if the datestamp on an image looks reasonably legit, then sure, but still.

Yes Glen, as Gerritt points out even point and shoot cameras have GPS capability. My Panasonic Lumex has it.. turned off.

This would explain the large gathering this spring out laker fishing. They were all over Terry and I. Thats it, going back to this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hell I think theres one still around here. I even have a scanner so, NO GPS FOR YOU LOL

41JQope6VPL.jpg

Years ago this was an issue I don't believe there are any sites that share the EXIF anymore? If you find any let me know ;)

There are a tonne of sites out there that don't strip EXIF, and what about the guys uploading their pics directly to their own site? Still lots and lots of ways for people to screw up, lol.

A digital camera dosnt have gps. It's a smart phone concern only?

My Nikon Coolpix does, and there are some DSLRs that do as well (not my T3). I don't use it because I think it's stupid, but I can imagine how it might be used by some people.

Not only fishing spots to protect... But your home and family as well...

Watched a documentary where in a few weeks of online picture stalking a hacker knew where the family lived... The kids favourite park... Their best friends home... Their favourite restaurants... And more...

Scary stuff

On a mobile phone, OK, but don't go accusing people for OOS fish based on a datestamp if it's a regular camera. I pretty much never have my date and time set properly on my cameras because it's too much hassle for no real point. Some of them drift a lot, some of them reset whenever you pull the battery. I guess if the datestamp on an image looks reasonably legit, then sure, but still.

When it's a smartphone you can be fairly certain the date hasn't been manipulated. Like I said, can of worms. Not always illegal either, there's a reason I'm not mentioning any names :).

Years ago this was an issue I don't believe there are any sites that share the EXIF anymore? If you find any let me know ;)

There are a tonne of sites out there that don't strip EXIF, and what about the guys uploading their pics directly to their own site? Still lots and lots of ways for people to screw up, lol.

Still lots of sites not stripping exif. It's very common. One of them is OFC. Try it;

test img.jpg

Here's the direct URL.

Why strip the GPS coordinates from your fish photos when you could have so much more fun replacing them with the coordinates of the settling pond at the sewage treatment plant?

Now you're talking!

Edited by Sterling

When it's a smartphone you can be fairly certain the date hasn't been manipulated. Like I said, can of worms. Not always illegal either, there's a reason I'm not mentioning any names :).

True. There are tons of year-round brookie lakes around here, and I do tend to hit them up after the others are shut down.

I do like the replacing of coordinates idea... Only problem is I'd want to see if anyone showed up. :Gonefishing: