Getting rid of geese

lew

My bud just down the road from me has a gorgeous waterfront home with about an acre of lush green lawns and lately he's getting invaded by a huge flock of Canada Geese nearly every night.

They have a gardener who's spent the last 3 days cleaning up the filth and every morning the mess is back again.

They come up his boat ramp or just fly over the retaining wall.

They've tried everything to scare them away including dogs, noise and even running at them but they just keep coming back for more.

He had the same issue a few years back and killed a couple of the birds with a shotgun and just left the carcasses on the ground and that seemed to scare then away but now he's got some nieighbors not too far away and doesn't want to use a gun again.

Anyone know of a sure fire way to keeps these birds off his property ??

I just use my pellet rifle, doesn't kill them, the pellets just bounce (it's about 150' away) off but I guess it stings them and they are quick to leave and usually don't come back after the first or second time. They are constantly at our neighbors but heven't come back here in weeks.

If your neighbor kept a strip of long grass along his shoreline the geese wouldn't want to go there. His boat launch is the problem. Geese look for areas they can easily access the water/shore. A boat ramp is a perfect spot. Leave a strip of long grass along the edge, and put a rope with pie plates across the boat ramp. They are smart birds, they will keep coming back until he makes it so they don't want to be there, or it becomes a pain in the butt to access his property. His beautifully manicured lawn is part of the problem.

Killing them, or shooting pellets etc is not a great idea. I don't know how many geese I've shot, and had to toss in the garbage because they had a lead pellet lodged just under the skin, and were infected bad enough that I wouldn't take a chance at eating them.

He needs a good dog. I know mine wouldn't let geese hang around at all. He would run himself to death chasing them away lol

S.

If your neighbor kept a strip of long grass along his shoreline the geese wouldn't want to go there. His boat launch is the problem. Geese look for areas they can easily access the water/shore. A boat ramp is a perfect spot. Leave a strip of long grass along the edge, and put a rope with pie plates across the boat ramp. They are smart birds, they will keep coming back until he makes it so they don't want to be there, or it becomes a pain in the butt to access his property. His beautifully manicured lawn is part of the problem.

Killing them, or shooting pellets etc is not a great idea. I don't know how many geese I've shot, and had to toss in the garbage because they had a lead pellet lodged just under the skin, and were infected bad enough that I wouldn't take a chance at eating them.

He needs a good dog. I know mine wouldn't let geese hang around at all. He would run himself to death chasing them away lol

S.

Our neighbors lawn hasn't been cut (at the water) in weeks, hasn't slowed them down.

The other neighbor has two dogs but the geese just seem to know when they are out or in the house. Sorry if you got one of the geese I've hit with a pellet but I'm sure not going to let them ruin my property.

The pellets I use are target match pellets so they have a flat face to them, they are desigined not to penitrate so perhaps that is why they bounce off..

Anyway, it was just a suggestion and it works for me :)

Thanks for the suggestins guys, I'm gonna pass them along.

I checked TSC down in Peterboro and they have coyote decoys for $60 & $80 so their gonna go have a look at them.

The fireworks is another thought that may work.

They've tried blocking the boat ramp and everything else but that doesn't even seem to slow the birds down.

My bud is 89 years old now so he needs something that doesn't involved alot of running or chasing on his part.

Edited by lew

Musky or Specks, that looks like a plan but the property is 200' across so just because of the size it may not be feasible.

Manjo, I also suggested the yellow rope but that was tried a few years back and wasn't successful in that particular place.

One acre of lush green lawn = one acre goose problem. Reduce the amount of grass, allow veg to grow along the shoreline. Some of the other ideas about decoys, firecrackers etc should also help. I assume no-one is feeding them?

Jon

Lee Valley Tools has a motion sensor water spray that shoots out like a regular sprinkler. No idea if it works but they have a good return/exchange policy so I'd try that so be worth confirming their policy.ed

it- couldn't find the Lee Valley link but this looks to be the same thing from HD.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/spray-away-motion-activated-sprinkler-animal-repellent/824716

Edited by woodenboater

Lee Valley Tools has a motion sensor water spray that shoots out like a regular sprinkler. No idea if it works but they have a good return/exchange policy so I'd try that so be worth confirming their policy.ed

it- couldn't find the Lee Valley link but this looks to be the same thing from HD.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/spray-away-motion-activated-sprinkler-animal-repellent/824716

Those really work, to do my job I have to go into people's backyard all the time and after knocking at the door to ask permission I walked in and got friggin drenched by one of those. As soon as the owner heard the noise he came running out to warn me but it was too late!!! We both had a good laugh and it was around 35 deg outside so it was kind of welcomed.

A good dog

In Central Park in NYC they have ponds and lots of goose problems

Saw a pickup with a cab pull up and 2 Border Collies jumped out and dashed around the ponds.

Geese were gone in a flash.

Will come back. But this company does the rounds

Logo on the truck. "Get The Flock Off". ?

Edited by captpierre

When I was a kid we raised the big white geese for meat on our farm (like 500 of the honking, stinky idiots at a time). We used to move them around the pasture fields every week so they didn't completely kill the forage. We contained them by corralling them with a single strand of electric cattle fence about 10" off the ground. It was easy to install and move, non-lethal, and fairly cheap (the controller is the only expensive part and you can get a low end one for under 100 bucks at TSC). If these ones are hiking up from the water and not flying in, this would certainly keep them away. It doesn't hurt them but is very effective at keeping them on the other side of the wire. After a couple of days they won't even go near the wire even if it's turned off. They have little handles you can put on the plastic wire to act as a 'gate' at the boat ramp without zapping yourself or you can just shut it off and move it when needed. The wire just looks like a piece of string but it has some fine wire strands running through it which carry the power and you just clip it to metal posts with insulators so it's really quite simple to install and move. Just a thought...

Edited by G.mech