Toronto Ice Fishing - Once in a life time event

AKRISONER

I have been keeping a very close eye on the ice charts, and it looks like we may be in for a once in a lifetime event...lake Ontario might actually freeze entirely over. The current chart today shows that only a small section in the middle of the lake remains entirely open, with thin lake ice making up the majority of the lake. With the upcoming cold snap it wouldnt take much to solidify things up and produce some medium lake ice on big O

What does this mean? for me it means that I might just have to consider trecking to the open side of toronto island for a jig.

Float suit, ropes and picks would be a must, but how many out here would take advantage or a definitive once in a life time opportunity to hard water infront of the Toronto skyline.

Anyone here ice fished for chinnys?

I honestly would not risk it. I look at the lake every day when I drive by or am close to it. Things change REALLY quickly, and there are nasty spots of current. Stay safe, but at the end of the day, life is more important than fishing....

lol seems everyone thinks im crazy for even considering it.

I will tell you right now I wouldnt even consider it until this next cold snap moves through and even then I would be waiting probably until I hear of other people venturing out.

Once again, Float suit, picks, rope, and dry clothes left on shore would all be a necessity.

That's a big body of water. I don't even like fishing it in the summer and have never been to the "blue zone." Have had some bad experiences on that lake and thank God Paul has exceptional boat experience and got us back to shore safe and sound. Think I'll pass on this one.

Be careful out there if you do go.

Geez, float suit and all, but dry clothes on land?

How far you plan on going?

Even with a float suit your a gonner if you take a dip and have to travel any distance to change.

Even in my training, -20, its very very hard to get yourself to shore, nevermind change. All i had to travel was maybe 70 yards and its insanely hard and very scary.

That was in controlled enviroment

I think it is already too late for safe ice to form on the main body of the lake this year. There is still a lot of open water on the lake. Most of the areas that look frozen are just floating pieces of ice. You can see the wave action if the wind picks up.

Even if an area froze solid; I would want to wait for a prolonged cold snap after the initial freeze to thicken it up. Otherwise a good wind can break everything up very quickly.

We are already in the latter half of February. Even if a cold snap froze the lake solid, I think it would break up before it became safe.