Scammers were up early

lew

Got an early morning call from someone claiming to be from the VISA fraud department. He informed my that someone used my VISA card last night to purchase something from ebay and in order to confirm it was me, would I please give him my VISA card number.

Sad that some folks actually fall for this crap and probably sadder is they more than likely only get a slap on the wrist when their caught.

Call came from 940-759-4745 and if you type that into GOOGLE it appears they try it on alot of people.

the "localnumber' scam is the one that calls me all the time. I always press 1, then I say YES I have a credit card, then I go along with it, provide them the standard first four digits of a visa card and just make up the rest, or omit numbers or use letters. I just put them on speakerphone and completely waste their time. They are extremely aggressive and the moment they know you are on to them, they hang up or say something negative or huff. I'd love if the cops could make a major bust and actually find the physical location of these call centers.

A lot of these calls originate offshore, UAE, Dubai and other locations. They have a dialing system that picks up unused phone numbers so that when you call back the number is not in service. I don't answer numbers I don't know any more.

These people are scumbags! Recently I've been receiving emails - they're claiming to be CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) stating I am entitled to a tax refund due to new information they have receive in regard to my assessment. The link they provide looks exactly like a service Canada web page. Now they ask for personal information. That's when I clued in. CRA already has my personal info! Please post info like this & hopefully we can make more people aware of the "dirt" that is among us.

I have had one of these scammers try to target me after posting an item on kijiji. It was the classic pay a deposit for an item which you ship to them while giving your bank info.

It was awesome to lead them on for about 50 emails while sitting at work until completely called them every single name in the book and insulted their mother pretty bad as well.

I got the refund email too, except they had it as Revenue Canada Agency, which I knew was wrong as in my business I deal with CRA all the time. So I sent them a nice (not) return email telling they they were idiots and if they're going to pull a scam, at least get the name of the government right. Have not heard from them since.

Edited by Joey

Its been happening along time.

I have no idea how this is allowed to continue?

These scummers target the elderly as well, which is all types of disturbing

The sad truth is the only reason it continues, is that it WORKS and usually on those that can least afford the loss. The elderly, people on disability pensions.

Scammers aren't usually the hardest working people in the world, so if the effort they put into these schemes didn't pay off somehow they wouldn't be continuing them. They would be on another form of extortion.

What REALLY blows my mind though is when you hear a small child in the background whining about something while these losers are trying rip people off. The next generation in that family isn't going to know what honest work is either.

the "localnumber' scam is the one that calls me all the time. I always press 1, then I say YES I have a credit card, then I go along with it, provide them the standard first four digits of a visa card and just make up the rest, or omit numbers or use letters. I just put them on speakerphone and completely waste their time. They are extremely aggressive and the moment they know you are on to them, they hang up or say something negative or huff. I'd love if the cops could make a major bust and actually find the physical location of these call centers.

Can't do much when they operate in countries where such laws don't exist. I've never had a call like this, actually.

These scummers target the elderly as well, which is all types of disturbing

That's the part that really disturbs me. Phoning me or others who are capable of seeing thru their scam is an annoyance, but preying on the 'weak'(Folks without enough of their wits about them) is disgusting, despicable and a whone list of words that cannot be posted here!!!

• 8 months later...

Not worthy of a new thread but interesting and sort of in the theme of Lew's post- I got this Email a few days ago

DEAR [email protected] Your online portal login has been temporarily disabled due to too many
unsuccessful login attempts.
Unlock your account: https://www5.rbcroyalbank.com/di-bin/rbaccess/rbdasd80-1666 Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Do not reply to this e-mail.

This would make sense if I actually had an RBC account, Hahahaha

I got the same Paypal email, it led to a pretty authentic looking page... Which I'm sure would have attempted to get some personal information from me had I proceeded. Phishing scam. I reported it thru Hotmail.

On the plus side, this reminded me to check in on my actual Paypal account and realized I still had some money in there lol! Bonus!

I rarely answer the phone at home. I have four daughters and wifie. In their teens it was never for me, :) and being 3 years apart that was along time. Now they are all happily married.

MY dear mother used to call at 6 pm every night to check if we ate and got home ok. Until I said mom did you eat , yes at 4:30! Mom can you call back at 7 please.

I ran into a few but always told them I needed a pencil and paper to take down the information and put the phone down and went on with dinner!

I always listen to their sell job and even ask questions to seem interested. Then I say "I'm not interested, but I am selling a car." I then don't let them interrupt "it's a 2013 Honda Civic. Has low miles, air conditioning, power windows and locks. It also comes with a set of winter tires and rims. Do you want to buy a car?"

Their response is "ummmm. I'm calling you to see if you wanted your ducts cleaned"

I said "I know, and I thank you for that but I already said no. ...but as long as I have you on the line....if you don't want a car, how about a fridge? It's 18 cubic feet, side by side model with water fountain and ice maker. It's also energy star rated"

I then usually hear the "click"