cooking thread...

Gotta have a side of bacon wrapped asparagus though.

Seriously, bacon wrapped corn is unreal good!

I've posted this before, but it has been years so I'll do it again...

Asparagus, marinated in Kosher salt, olive oil, Balsamic Vinegar and crushed black pepper. Leave it on the counter for a few hours, until the Asparagus starts to slightly wilt.

You'll need;

-prosciutto, a hard cheese and a red pepper. (Smoked Gouda has been my favorite!)

Cut the pepper into slices, roughly the same size as the Asparagus, same the with cheese. Roll three spears of asparagus, one slice of red pepper and one slice of cheese with the prosciutto, using a tooth pic to hold it all together. Grill on medium heat until the prosciutto browns and the cheese starts to melt out the end. Should take less than 5-6 minutes.

I brought these to a gtg we had at Quinte a number of years ago. I had a number of folks who hate asparagus try it and they are now asparagus fans! Makes a killer side dish.

Thank me later!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

We are doing the diet thing here, down almost 50 since Christmas. Been roasting all our veggies on a parchment covered cookie sheet in the oven at 425F after tossing with olive oil and a splash of Balsamic vinegar , salt pepper and spices of your choice. Don't think I'll ever go back to steaming, boiling or even French Fried potatoes. Beets, carrots, parsnip, sweet potato, white potato, asparagus, cauliflower, slices of cabbage , turnip it's all good :thumbsup_anim:

edit: https://www.google.ca/search?q=roasted+root+vegetables&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxlb_K_-XUAhUi8IMKHdNiB8sQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=638#tbm=isch&q=roasted+vegetables+in+oven

Edited by dave524

Take a large pork center cut. Cut as many chops from it you want and leave a nice roast for filleting. Once layed out flat, rub in your favorite seasons. I went with red and yellow curry,paprika and fresh onions..Dice the onions and lay over rub. Roll up, and tie. Rub a nice dry rub of your choice over the whole package. I have been on this heat kick lately, so a few extra chili peppers never hurt.

275 indirect for 3 hours

DSCF3662p.JPG

Bath with a mix match of liquids for a sauce an hour before it,s done. Repeat every 15 minutes. Works for me.

DSCF3664p.JPG

Time to chow down. Pretty aint it.

DSCF3665p.JPG

Edited by Misfish

Take a large pork center cut. Cut as many chops from it you want and leave a nice roast for filleting. Once layed out flat, rub in your favorite seasons. I went with red and yellow curry,paprika and fresh onions..Dice the onions and lay over rub. Roll up, and tie. Rub a nice dry rub of your choice over the whole package. I have been on this heat kick lately, so a few extra chili peppers never hurt.

275 indirect for 3 hours

attachicon.gifDSCF3662p.JPG

Bath with a mix match of liquids for a sauce an hour before it,s done. Repeat every 15 minutes. Works for me.

attachicon.gifDSCF3664p.JPG

Time to chow down. Pretty aint it.

attachicon.gifDSCF3665p.JPG

For a different treat, use a smoked pork loin to start with. Marinate in apple juice, garlic, brown sugar (or maple syrup) and seasoned salt, in a plastic bag overnight in the fridge, then smoke LIGHTLY (one pan of smoke). Smoked pork loin is fabulous, done in the oven and then served with smoked pork gravy!!!!!

And I had not thought of stuffing one until I saw this - I have done the stuffed pork loin before, but never with a smoked roast. I am thinking this experiment is going to happen quite soon. :canadian:

Doug

Edited by akaShag

Love those cryovac packaged pork loins, I get them all the time at $1.99 a pound, sometimes $1.47 just recently. My basic rub is simple and do them low and slow.

2Tbsp garlic powder
2Tbsp onion powder
2tsp paprika
2tsp chili powder
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp table salt
1⁄2tsp black pepper, crushed
3Tbsp unpacked brown sugar
cayenne optional
Maybe try stuffed and rolled next time , looks awesome :thumbsup_anim:

I've been getting away from battered fish over the last couple months, losing my appetite for it (save for special events like camping). Baked some walleye fillets in clarified butter, basil and lemon pepper tonight...500 degrees for 6 minutes, absolutely awesome. Whats your favourite way to bake walleye and pike sans flour?

I've been getting away from battered fish over the last couple months, losing my appetite for it (save for special events like camping). Baked some walleye fillets in clarified butter, basil and lemon pepper tonight...500 degrees for 6 minutes, absolutely awesome. Whats your favourite way to bake walleye and pike sans flour?

Oh I use flour. Just flour and seasoning salt, it's delicious

But, tinfoil bag walleye with butter, season how you wish, mmmmmmmmmm

I've posted this before, but it has been years so I'll do it again...

Asparagus, marinated in Kosher salt, olive oil, Balsamic Vinegar and crushed black pepper. Leave it on the counter for a few hours, until the Asparagus starts to slightly wilt.

You'll need;

-prosciutto, a hard cheese and a red pepper. (Smoked Gouda has been my favorite!)

Cut the pepper into slices, roughly the same size as the Asparagus, same the with cheese. Roll three spears of asparagus, one slice of red pepper and one slice of cheese with the prosciutto, using a tooth pic to hold it all together. Grill on medium heat until the prosciutto browns and the cheese starts to melt out the end. Should take less than 5-6 minutes.

I brought these to a gtg we had at Quinte a number of years ago. I had a number of folks who hate asparagus try it and they are now asparagus fans! Makes a killer side dish.

Thank me later!

HH

I have had the pleasure of Joe making this for me, bloody awesome!

It was also my first time eating asparagus, I now love it.

One of my favorite coatings to use whether baked or fried is ground up potato chips, leaves a nice crunchy coating. I like salt and vinegar myself.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Just a reminder about marinated olives folks. Tks to Rick's initial post way back two years ago I have developed quite the love for these babies. There is just no comparison to regular ones. The only time I buy olives now is for Puttanesca.

So I did up another gallon today. Got six mason jars. The stuffed manzanilla type are perfect I find. I just sort of wing it with ingredients now it seems lol. I've found that I really like onion and sundried tomatoes in the mix, the onions stay crisp too. Used three different berries today like juniper, allspice and peppercorn (lots), and also seeds like mustard, fennel, cumin, coriander, celery, dill and of course lots of crushed chili. There's also 6 jalapeno's and a couple of dried chili peppers as well as a couple of tsp of this spice mix called "scorchin' scrumptious" that has a real kick. Come to think about it I forgot to mark my jars so there may be a couple of real surprises lol. Each jar has a whole garlic bulb too. :) My own garlic, still in great shape after close to a year of storage amazingly.

Sunflower oil is the way to go. I may use a few tbs of olive oil at most per jar now, because it gets thick when cooled in the fridge. As for spices I used 3 different chili pepper powders, a cajun mix, basil leaves in two and Italian seasoning in one, curry in three(nice surprise), tumeric in one, pickling spice in a couple, smoked paprika, majoram in a couple, lots of fresh thyme in every one, and also fresh bay leaf and rosemary from my garden in three of them.

It should be a very interesting adventure this time I'm thinking. :) Hopefully they aren't too hot for Wifey, she really likes them too now, as before she wasn't real big on oilives until she tried the home made. They are now lying on their sides in a dark cupboard in the basement for 2-3 months, getting a quarter turn most days(I hope) for the first 2 months. I know Rick said he doesn't refrigerate until opened but I now put them in the extra fridge after three months or so. If you check online don't believe the talk of eating after two weeks. Like Rick said, one thing for sure is to wait the two months at least for it to age, like a good pickle it gets way better over time. 6 months and older is even more refined. As good as they are, you can notice the difference for sure.

It's fun to do, not expensive at all, the rewards are outstanding and everlasting really so long as you don't run out hehe. Better than any restaurant for sure. Plus the kitchen smells great while toasting the spices for each batch

If you do a search for olives on this thread you'll find the old posts, but all the pics are gone now with this photobucket Bull. I did post one recipe though that I like, plus there are plenty online.

Rick maybe you could repost your initial recipe pic, just don't use pb this time. I liked #3

IMG_0797.JPG

Cheers

I'll have to give these a try... In the last year or so my appreciation for different flavours has increased... Used to hate mustard, and olives but now I love them both lol

If you like olives you'll definitely enjoy these. I went to a wholesaler and the 4l of olives was only $18

Cheers

Rick I found your old pic for the spiced olives. For those wondering it's just minced garlic, not jalapeno garlic as posted in the recipe lol.

Spiced Olives.JPG

Cheers

Thanks dood! I actually lost my recipe. But now I just wing it

Again, im glad I got ya hooked lol.

These olives go good on their own, are on almost anything!

Sometimes I'll just eat them by the bowl full lol, and my kids love em too!

• 2 weeks later...

Maple Pepper Crusted Broiled Salmon:

You can use this as a cedar planked BBQ salmon topping or can do it in the oven for a less smoky approach. Either way, its great. Its quite spicy so you need to like a bit of heat.

You make a paste of the following (sorry I don't have measurements. I do it by "feel":

- A lot of fresh cracked pepper (loosen the top on a pepper grinder and grind away, you need a lot)

- Maple syrup (the real stuff)

- Some melted butter (same amount as the maple syrup)

- Some flour and corn meal (50/50) to thicken up a bit. Not too much

- Some salt

Mix all of the above to make a pretty thick paste and put a nice thick layer on top of a salmon filet.

If you are planking on cedar, just do it the way you would normally.

If you are doing it int the oven, preheat the oven to about 425, then put in the oven on a sheet. When it is about 60% done, put the broiler on to finish. Don't let the top burn, but get it nice and toasted.

Enjoy!

Thanks dood! I actually lost my recipe. But now I just wing it

Again, im glad I got ya hooked lol.

These olives go good on their own, are on almost anything!

Sometimes I'll just eat them by the bowl full lol, and my kids love em too!

A few olives in oil has about the same calories as a Big Mac. Beware chubby.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

has anyone ever done bottled moose?i had it last year and it was incredible right out of the jar!

Yes indeed.

No magic to it, as long as you can get good quality moose meat and you know how to pressure can.................

Cut whole muscle meat into chunks, maybe 1" cubed, but size is not important. Season with spices you like (I use seasoning salt, garlic, and onion), put into jars (you know how, right?) and process for 90 minutes at ten pounds pressure.

If you need DETAILED instructions, please send me a pm.

Doug

ive been watchingmoose bottling on youtube all evening.....im a chef though so im sure ill do fine....

ill add pork fat,,maybe ill make a red wine/beef stock for the liquid,sautee onion,garlic and fresh thyme....

If you are going to can RAW moose, I suggest you not add liquid of any kind. A bit of onion, garlic, salt pork, whatever, is fine, but don't add liquid. When it is pressure canned, the moose makes its own "gravy." If you are going to can cooked moose, yes you will need some stock, and you should start with a hot pack.

Doug

Made home made egg rolls for the first time yesterday. Super easy using ground pork and a bag of coleslaw. Let me tell you they were very good, easily comparable to most take out Chinese food. I really liked the wrappers from the store too, not quite as thin as a spring roll but much thinner than your average take out one. Now that we've got it figured out it will be time to experiment with the recipe by increasing spices like fresh garlic and ginger, maybe adding some Chinese 5 spice, adding some heat, shrimp and bean sprouts to the mix. Two minutes max per side in the fry pan with 2 in. of oil and they were done perfect. Needless to say I won't be buying them from take out any more.

Here's the recipe we used. http://www.food.com/recipe/chinese-egg-rolls-134053

Cheers