cooking thread...

If you are going to can RAW moose, I suggest you not add liquid of any kind. A bit of onion, garlic, salt pork, whatever, is fine, but don't add liquid. When it is pressure canned, the moose makes its own "gravy." If you are going to can cooked moose, yes you will need some stock, and you should start with a hot pack.

Doug

Oh I wouldn't mess with the recipe at first.

Dougs is perfect

I wish I had 20 more cans

ill do a few different ways and see what works better.....

I will be interested to hear how it goes with liquid. As a very general rule of thumb, raw meat goes into the jars without liquid, and cooked meat goes into the jars with liquid, and HOT.

But "everybody" says you cannot pressure can thickened soups, and I have successfully canned split pea soup several times, and that is pretty thick stuff............

Doug

Raw Moose muscle put into jars and boiled doesn't sound too appetizing. I have to ask what does it taste like? I know you think it's good but what can you compare it to?

Yes it is pretty darned good.

If you took raw salmon and ate it, you might not prefer the taste and texture. But if you had some CANNED salmon, you might think that is pretty good stuff.

Same idea exactly. Canned moose, deer, goose, etc is delicious.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Had one of those, oh my god, just like when I was a kid, BBQ movement today.

When we (brothers, sister, family and friends ) did picnics at 6 mile lake in the 70,s, the menu was simple. BBQ lemon chicken, corn on the cob, over coals and salads. I still remember those days like it was yesterday. My pop was the BBQ chef . He like I, take from others recipes, that made great food, and made it our own, but never forgot where we got it from.

As my propane BBQ had gone for a crap, and waiting til fall for the deals, I turned mine into a charcoal broiler today. My most favorite thing over a coal BBQ as a kid, was pops lemon chicken. I have made it over propane, but never did it seem, or come close, to tasting the same.

Funny how it took a few tools to assemble it, but yet, it took one, a hammer, to break out the inners . LOL

With the departed chicken resting well in fresh squeezed, lemon and lime juice, I layered the bottom of the Q, with some heavy duty tin foil. Stacked the coals

A.JPG

and lit away. The burning charcoal smell reminded me of my youth. It also made me think, one of the neighbors are going to complain. LOL

B.JPG

Waiting for the coals to get white, was a pain. This is what happens when you have propane. Light and go.LOL

Once the heat was there, it was time to put the sliced potatoes, sprinkled with dill,salt,pepper and garlic, wrapped in foil on.

C.JPG

About a half hour later, it was time for the fowl.

As I stand and watch and smell, my memory comes back once again. These words just pop out , No, you cant go swimming , you need to wait an hour after eating. I started laughing. Mudders know best. :D

Once all was done, I couldnt wait to sample the chicken.

D.JPG

When I bit into it, I can honestly say, it was like when I was a kid.

So the price tag of a charcoal BBQing today

Bag of coal, $5 They do look fancier . LOL

Stupid fire starter $5

Bag of 5 legs $5

Lemons over priced , 80 cents each

12 tall boys, they are on sale. LOL

Price of a memory of the past, PRICLESS

:canadian:

My favorite to add to my pasta salads Albert.

NOt the bought crap I make my own

NO measuring, I use whatever vegetable I have

Cauliflower

Peppers/hot sweet green red yellow whatever . . .

Bought hot eggplants in jars

Sautéed mushrooms (optimal) I like them and I may use jarred. Cost a lot!

Lots of olives NO pits

A bit of diced onion

Finally minced garlic and I mean fine.

Salt pepper . .

And last but not least anchovies finely chopped

Cut it all up, add salt and pepper, vegetable oil or olive and red wine vinegar to taste.

Mix well and refrigerate an hour later heaven come ones out.

NOt the bought crap I make my own

NO measuring, I use whatever vegetable I have

Cauliflower

Peppers/hot sweet green red yellow whatever . . .

Bought hot eggplants in jars

Sautéed mushrooms (optimal) I like them and I may use jarred. Cost a lot!

Lots of olives NO pits

A bit of diced onion

Finally minced garlic and I mean fine.

Salt pepper . .

And last but not least anchovies finely chopped

Cut it all up, add salt and pepper, vegetable oil or olive and red wine vinegar to taste.

Mix well and refrigerate an hour later heaven come ones out.

Unico is Italian,,,NO ? :lol:

You won't find this in 'jar'! UNICO means one of a kind and they have great products.

LOL my friend

You had me at the end,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And last but not least anchovies. I like them chopped not so fine. LOL

Thank you for the recipe as always.

You and I, are

UNICO

:D

:canadian:

Edited by Misfish

With all that is going on around us this week, times have changed, here we share are thoughts and customs.

Thanks B. I have friends from every background, some 'were' sketchy some are truly amazing!

Those I cherish. You and others on this board are UNICO.

The anchovies are better finelly chopped, they mix/blend well and after a week you only taste them. The vinegar actually starts to 'cook' and marinate all of the flavours. You will see juice build up in the container, I just add more veggies and continue the process.

Anytime you want one "any size" give me a shout and I can get one made for you. Reg med or hot!!!

I put it in the oven at 225 for 8-10 hours. Falls apart.

I order one every year for fathers' day family day that we take to my daughter's in laws. About 20 lbs and we have tons let over, but then they make more pizzas than you can imagine.

If I knew how my Mom did her Fall vegies I could become a veterinarian. Her Capunare (sic) tasted like steak. All Fall veggies on the table salted and drawn of water then canned in veggie oil. A lost recipe in my Family sadly.

Do you know how to do it Kettchinany???

Edited by Old Ironmaker