cooking thread...

OH MAN, Spiel, that stuffed turkey breast looks AWESOME.  I just ate and it makes me hungry looking at it!!!!!

OIM please ask your wife if you have had cardamon SEEDS for flavouring, it is not as intense as ground cardamon.  If I am roasting a chicken or turkey I put three or four whole cardamon seeds on and in the bird before roasting.  I love the taste, but yes if a dish has GROUND cardamon in it, that is pretty over-powering.  I think it is used in a lot of Indian dishes where spices can be a lot more pronounced.

And Rick please save me some moose balls, I love them!

Doug

6 hours ago, akaShag said:

I'm with you there Rick!

back to OIM, you can buy whole cardamon seeds in bulk at The Bulk Store, a couple dozen will last you a year probably and they are not expensive.  GROUND cardamon is a very over-powering spice and I practically never use it.

Doug

It is a very unique flavour for sure. A little goes a long way. Dougie, I like a pinch of the ground in mashed taters, along with finely chopped onion and fresh garlic of course. Or if I have some leek butter in the fridge that's a gimme in and/or on.  :) Also add it to oil for brushing on tater quarters or veggies for roasting or grilling. ;)

I'm going to try the whole seeds in a jar or two of my next batch of olives next year. Toasting seeds for 5 batches sure does make a home smell great and Cardamom could be a nice addition.

Cheers

Talking about Perch I was at Fortino's in Hamilton today and stopped at the fish counter to see if they had any Lake Erie Perch. Yep only $23.99 a freekin pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alaskan King Crab was 15 bucks a pound. I know there is a lot of shell you are paying for but 24 bananas a pound is almost what it costs to take the boat out and catch, oh probably less but that not the point of fishing now is it?

Don't forget never toss the shells of crab, lobster or shrimp. Put in a pot of boiling water and make a fantastic fish stock. Crack all the shell of the lobster to get to meat most toss.

Tonight it will be deer liver pan-fried in bacon fat, plus sauteed Vidalia onions and mashed potatoes.  This will be my fourth meal of deer liver this fall, yeehaw!!!  And I still have another package or two in the freezer, plus one heart.

And some of my hunting buddies don't eat "GUTS!"  There's more for me...........;)

Doug

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Tonight it will be deer liver pan-fried in bacon fat, plus sauteed Vidalia onions and mashed potatoes.  This will be my fourth meal of deer liver this fall, yeehaw!!!  And I still have another package or two in the freezer, plus one heart.

And some of my hunting buddies don't eat "GUTS!"  There's more for me...........;)

Doug

I'd say I'm jealous but I have lots too!

Doug my friend, you know what's up!

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Talking about Perch I was at Fortino's in Hamilton today and stopped at the fish counter to see if they had any Lake Erie Perch. Yep only $23.99 a freekin pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alaskan King Crab was 15 bucks a pound. I know there is a lot of shell you are paying for but 24 bananas a pound is almost what it costs to take the boat out and catch, oh probably less but that not the point of fishing now is it?

Don't forget never toss the shells of crab, lobster or shrimp. Put in a pot of boiling water and make a fantastic fish stock. Crack all the shell of the lobster to get to meat most toss.

OI Forinos  is one of the highest priced brands on the market! I keep away as much as possible. But I do use them. Can’t beat their Ontario lamb for $6.99.  Never got a bad one yet. Persimmons last week were $1.99 each and I got a case  for $7.77 at their other family store.

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Tonight it will be deer liver pan-fried in bacon fat, plus sauteed Vidalia oniThat's fromons and mashed potatoes.  This will be my fourth meal of deer liver this fall, yeehaw!!!  And I still have another package or two in the freezer, plus one heart.

Doug

Go ahead Dug, you fill up on the inards and leave the meat to me. The only guts I will eat is chicken gizzards. I do not like any liver except chicky liver. I know you are going to say it wasn't cooked right, wrong, I don't use the word hate often but the taste of any liver comes close. There was a cook at the main office cafeteria at the plant. A Macedonian gentleman, Mr. Kircos, who lived up the street from us since  I was a kid at home. He did it somehow that I would eat it but that was once or twice. No" liver and  Fave beans with a nice Chianti" for this lad.  That's a quote from the movie, Silence Of The Lambs. In the book it was with a nice "Amorone". Everyone knows Chiante, not many Amorone (sic I think) help please Albert. It is a red wine made from the outer layer of grapes on the south facing vines, hand picked. A 750ml bottle goes for 80 bucks and up.

35 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

OI Forinos  is one of the highest priced brands on the market! I keep away as much as possible. But I do use them. Can’t beat their Ontario lamb for $6.99.  Never got a bad one yet. Persimmons last week were $1.99 each and I got a case  for $7.77 at their other family store.

I know Albert but the grocery store out here, Food Land,  sells Kraft cheese in a cardboard tube and call it Parmesan. please! Italian bread is Wonder bread in a brown bag. When I was growing up Fortino's was a small neighbourhood grocery store. I remember their Mom behind the butcher counter yelling at everyone." Ifa you no buy you go homa boy. Nexta." She scared me.  If I'm not mistaken they started with a butcher shop on Ottawa St. sawdust on the floor to soak up the blood. We would kick it into piles then get a slap on the back of the head, not necessarily by your parent. Those were the days when you called anyone 2 feet taller than yourself Sir or Mame. Any friends of my parents that were Italian including neighbours were Zia and Zio, aunt and uncle. My friends at school thought I had 150 aunts and uncles. Even the guy that delivered the daily bread, I thought the prayer was about Ottavio the bread guy. The coppa or end was missing before my Mom got it, we just put the eaten end in the bottom of the bag. We thought she never knew who it was. Fun times, and simple times. Tough times as well. Our parents survived the Great Depression and then the War. My father tells of hiding in the mountains in dead of winter from the Nazi's during their retreat from the Allies. if you were caught they gave you a German uniform and a weapon and called you a Nazi. That's 15 tough years for a kid, I can't imagine it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

25 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I know Albert but the grocery store out here, Food Land,  sells Kraft cheese in a cardboard tube and call it Parmesan. please! Italian bread is Wonder bread in a brown bag. When I was growing up Fortino's was a small neighbourhood grocery store. I remember their Mom behind the butcher counter yelling at everyone." Ifa you no buy you go homa boy. Nexta." She scared me.  If I'm not mistaken they started with a butcher shop on Ottawa St. sawdust on the floor to soak up the blood. We would kick it into piles then get a slap on the back of the head, not necessarily your parent. Those were the days when you called anyone 2 feet taller than yourself Sir or Mame. Any friends of my parents that were Italian including neighbours were Zia and Zio, aunt and uncle. My friends at school thought I had 150 aunts and uncles. Even the guy that delivered the daily bread, I thought the prayer was about Ottavio the bread guy. The coppa or end was missing before my Mom got it, we just put the eaten end in the bottom of the bag. We thought she never knew who it was. Fun times, and simple times. Tough times as well. Our parents survived the Great Depression and then the War. My father tells of hiding in the mountains in dead of winter from the Nazi's during their retreat from the Allies. if you were caught they gave you a German uniform and a weapon and called you a Nazi. That's 15 tough years for a kid, I can't imagine it.

When Fortinos was bought by Lablaws they treated it as a boutique attract Italians with their “home country” offerings and we bought it right up the  . . . We have two in woody along with two Longos. The money around here is up for grabs and  they can take advantage of it. Metro lasted two years.  Misfish was in Coppas  (highland Farms) and they are pricing them selves out of the market.

Hey,I shop around , when we have dinner it’s 18! 

Yes my parents went through the war fiasco. We were in their path (just north of Monte Cassino) when they were driven  back to Germany and my parents told me they took what they wanted. Thank god they survived.

My gramps were old and my father was stationed near Rome as he was the only  child.

Hard times my friend, been here since 1960 and never collected  until  we reached 65.

sorry for the  no food offering. But two of our memeners have tasted my offerings. :)

oh, the deer liver was FABULOUS even if I do say so myself.  I cut it as thin as I can, using a filleting knife, then soak it in milk.  Pour off the milk, lay the slices out on a cookie sheet, dust with seasoning salt and garlic powder, then shake in a bag of flour.  Get a pan of canola oil piping hot and lay the slices in there, maybe a minute a side, tops.  Drain on some paper towels, and pig out!!!!  Smothered in vidalias, sliced thin and sauteed in bacon fat, man oh man!!!

<<<<<BURP>>>>>>>>

2 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

When Fortinos was bought by Lablaws they treated it as a boutique attract Italians with their “home country” offerings and we bought it right up the  . . . We have two in woody along with two Longos. The money around here is up for grabs and  they can take advantage of it. Metro lasted two years.  Misfish was in Coppas  (highland Farms) and they are pricing them selves out of the market.

Hey,I shop around , when we have dinner it’s 18! 

Yes my parents went through the war fiasco. We were in their path (just north of Monte Cassino) when they were driven  back to Germany and my parents told me they took what they wanted. Thank god they survived.

My gramps were old and my father was stationed near Rome as he was the only  child.

Hard times my friend, been here since 1960 and never collected  until  we reached 65.

sorry for the  no food offering. But two of our memeners have tasted my offerings. :)

I know between the 2 of us we could write a book, then turn it into a screenplay and I picture us standing and accepting our Academy Award Oscar for best screenplay and then the producers accepting for Best Movie. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Bobby DeNirro will play me in my older years, maybe Danny DeVito. Who will play you Albert, Tomaso Carusa? 

Woodbridge eh. I once read there were more Italians born in Italy that lived in T.O. at one time than Italians that live in Rome. Woodbridge, the only small community with it's own Italian language newspaper. True Kettchenany?

And yes Loblaws sucked everyone in, including Shoppers Drug Mart, where my wife works, NFL. Not for long.

Cooking thread, sorry all. Go cook something.

4 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I know between the 2 of us we could write a book, then turn it into a screenplay and I picture us standing and accepting our Academy Award Oscar for best screenplay and then the producers accepting for Best Movie. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Bobby DeNirro will play me in my older years, maybe Danny DeVito. Who will play you Albert, Tomaso Carusa? 

Woodbridge eh. I once read there were more Italians born in Italy that lived in T.O. at one time than Italians that live in Rome. Woodbridge, the only small community with it's own Italian language newspaper. True Kettchenany?

And yes Loblaws sucked everyone in, including Shoppers Drug Mart, where my wife works, NFL. Not for long.

Cooking thread, sorry all. Go cook something.

I call our crew the usual suspects, we are up to 16 now. Trying to get them all in the same room at the same time is tougher than a peace treaty between the Israeli and Palestinian's. She won't come if he's coming, I won't come if she's coming. Come or don't come, don't say we didn't invite you. They will regret it in the years to follow. Wowza!!!

Just now, ketchenany said:

Let’s not get political, Art will have our A$$. An Italian paper has been published in Ontario since the 60s. Corriere Canadese

Yes Italians in Woody is the majority from the old country, they built it in the ‘70s. But we are now  a fully integrated community. All welcome.

The specialty foods offering is incredible, the Prosciutto, and other cured meats and cheeses can’t be beat anywhere. Mind you it will cost you.

YOU read wrong! Woody has the largest concentration of Ferrari’s outside of Italy per capita.

3 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I call our crew the usual suspects, we are up to 16 now. Trying to get them all in the same room at the same time is tougher than a peace treaty between the Israeli and Palestinian's. She won't come if he's coming, I won't come if she's coming. Come or don't come, don't say we didn't invite you. They will regret it in the years to follow. Wowza!!!

OI WE are family. My four girls and family come as they please. Yes there are differences but we have been close with all of our families. I have one brother and we are very close, the way it should be. This is off the cooking trade and my apologies please. Us Italians are a debate society. PM me.

10 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Let’s not get political, Art will have our A$$. An Italian paper has been published in Ontario since the 60s. Corriere Canadese

Yes Italians in Woody is the majority from the old country, they built it in the ‘70s. But we are now  a fully integrated community. All welcome.

The specialty foods offering is incredible, the Prosciutto, and other cured meats and cheeses can’t be beat anywhere. Mind you it will cost you.

YOU read wrong! Woody has the largest concentration of Ferrari’s outside of Italy per capita.

Look for  a PM.  I'm trying to figure out the new message thing.

New things for us old guys are bad lol.

We are new immigrants, 1960. My grandfather 1906 but then they were sent packing not like today. I keep old traditions, we make tomatoes, supresata and other winter things. My girls and their family don’t take to it (only the tomatoes) 

They are well off and never needed to have.

Hopefully they will never need the knowledge. My dad could get a fresh egg under a chicken tap a hole top and bottom and drink it for breakfast, today this would be insane.

Lest not forget where we came from. I have been doing Tourism for the last 25 years and know more about Ontairo that any elected person.

I one  told a woman When getting a passport that I filled out the wrong form. I have been in Canada  ore that the PM she asked me to leave and fill out the right form.

Actually I want to share with you guys that's not food related but what I shared with Ketchenany.

I encourage you all to watch this documentary. Ozzie Giacomelli is a gentleman I worked with when I was a kid Foreman and he became an Uncle to me. He is featured in the piece.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/barbed_wire_mandolins/

Not food related other than some of the recipes here are from Ozzie so it is really.

1 minute ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Actually I want to share with you guys that's not food related but what I shared with Ketchenany.

I encourage you all to watch this documentary. Ozzie Giacomelli is a gentleman I worked with when I was a kid Foreman and he became an Uncle to me. He is featured in the piece.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/barbed_wire_mandolins/

Not food related other than some of the recipes here are from Ozzie so it is really.

Go to PM this is off food topic please.