cooking thread...

12 hours ago, ketchenany said:

OI Forinos  is one of the highest priced brands on the market! I keep away as much as possible. But I do use them. Can’t beat their Ontario lamb for $6.99.  Never got a bad one yet.

We got a new Costco on the QEW at Fifty Road recently , they have whole lambs in a canvas bag in the freezer section. They are  probably playing to the Italian market like Loblaw''s does with Fortino's as they are in actually in Tony Creek. 

edit:  https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-whole-lamb-99-2047848/

Edited by dave524

12 hours ago, ketchenany said:

OI Forinos  is one of the highest priced brands on the market! I keep away as much as possible. But I do use them. Can’t beat their Ontario lamb for $6.99.  Never got a bad one yet.

We got a new Costco on the QEW at Fifty Road recently , they have whole lambs in a canvas bag in the freezer section. They are  probably playing to the Italian market like Loblaw''s does with Fortino's as they are in actually in Tony Creek. 

25 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Those are Australian or New Zealand , taste like ? I bought a leg once and it was terrible. They tend to be older.

The Fortinos lamb average about 25-30 lbs skinned and gutted. Ontario grown. I only buy half. For the BBQ.

There was a time when Woodyville was called little Italy. Now it is the city of many cultures. I can go down there and get, Italian, Indian,Russian,Asian,Jewish, foods to my hearts content. All this in about 3 hours, then home to enjoy. I hear there is a new Asian market opening up in Barrie. Many of my co workers along with me, cant wait. 

Before Coppas, it was Highland Farms. The selection and prices were great. Since the split up of the brothers ( That is the story ) the prices are way out of my price range. Fortinos is not fully Italian any more, the same as Longos. Very disappointing, to me any ways.

If I do want super fresh meat cuts though, I will go to coppas. They have a great selection, but like I said, their prices are getting out of my range. 

Now if I only had the key to the back door of Alberts pantry, I could save time in shopping some of the Italian stores. :lol:

11 minutes ago, misfish said:

There was a time when Woodyville was called little Italy. Now it is the city of many cultures. I can go down there and get, Italian, Indian,Russian,Asian,Jewish, foods to my hearts content. All this in about 3 hours, then home to enjoy. I hear there is a new Asian market opening up in Barrie. Many of my co workers along with me, cant wait. 

Before Coppas, it was Highland Farms. The selection and prices were great. Since the split up of the brothers ( That is the story ) the prices are way out of my price range. Fortinos is not fully Italian any more, the same as Longos. Very disappointing, to me any ways.

If I do want super fresh meat cuts though, I will go to coppas. They have a great selection, but like I said, their prices are getting out of my range. 

Now if I only had the key to the back door of Alberts pantry, I could save time in shopping some of the Italian stores. :lol:

Was out there looking for lamb! Too lateI talians are brutal  at this time of year and Easter for lamb. 

Brian making that pantry is a lot of work but worth it. Today I had a some olives we were given, Holi they were amazing, my next trick in October.

A jar of eggplants is 3.99 we make it for .$1.00 but a lot of work.

You have been there!!!

The wife has the key! Not really!

20 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Was out there looking for lamb! Too lateI talians are brutal  at this time of year and Easter for lamb. 

Brian making that pantry is a lot of work but worth it. Today I had a some olives we were given, Holi they were amazing, my next trick in October.

A jar of eggplants is 3.99 we make it for .$1.00 but a lot of work.

You have been there!!!

The wife has the key! Not really!

I have seen many pantrys in my days. I could  live in them. Wine,cheese,meat and smoked fish. LOL

I lovef Unico hot egg plant, but like you mention, stupid prices.

In the 90,s, I was given a jar of home made anchovies. My god, they were so good. I would eat them right out of the jar.

Edited by misfish

40 minutes ago, misfish said:

I have seen many pantrys in my days. I could  live in them. Wine,cheese,meat and smoked fish. LOL

I lovef Unico hot egg plant, but like you mention, stupid prices.

In the 90,s, I was given a jar of home made anchovies. My god, they were so good. I would eat them right out of the jar.

Aurora hot eggplants For $2,99 I use them when I run out. With prosciutto in a chibatta bun is to die for.

IF we go back in time and start preserving like out Native and European friends it would  make us better, we could swap items and learn new things. Brian did you ever have Lupini beans? Or tender celery stalk dipped in Olive oil with crushed black pepper? Roasted chestnuts with red wine, a Torrone at Christmas?

I will start my dried lupini tomorrow., takes a week to be ready for Christmas.

I watch a lot of  cooking programs and one I liked was Michael Smith chef at large. he did a program in northern Ontario and in Native hut they roasted a beaver! The hostess offered him a taste and as he quoted “I have never eaten beaver”

Let’s cook/eat  what we want and do not waste anything. We are fortunate in Canada that we can choose.

3 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

ART will kil this soon! Brian go fishing until the air clears.

Cooking and humor go hand in hand.

I got the ice fishing expo in the morning. Granddaughter coming along to make sure I buy what she needs. LOL 

Close enough to fishing for ya ? 

14 minutes ago, misfish said:

I got the ice fishing expo in the morning. Granddaughter coming along to make sure I buy what she needs. LOL 

Close enough to fishing for ya ? 

I'll be skipping the ice show. Apparently I have a second date with the grandaughters to make 2 more batches of Christmas cookies

On 12/14/2017 at 6:02 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I know Albert but the grocery store out here, Food Land,  sells Kraft cheese in a cardboard tube and call it Parmesan. please! Italian bread is Wonder bread in a brown bag. 

LOL. Our Foodland is awful. They could do so much better, but I guess when you don't have have any competition within 25km you get lazy. I can remember my wife breaking down one night because we were on our last diapers for the twins and they did not stock newborn size. Ridiculous. 

Any of you gents been to a Pusateri's? 

Speaking of Rabbit there is a farm here and the woman raises Rabbits to sell. The only Rabbit I have ever seen that has fat on it. They are good my fellow foodies. The farm is about 50 minutes south of Hamilton. Near Toronto Motorsports Park, about 2 hours from T.O. with zero traffic, don't ask me why they named it that. If anyone wants some fantastic fat bunny PM me and I will hook you up with her, to buy a rabbit.

22 minutes ago, Tom S said:

LOL. Our Foodland is awful. They could do so much better, but I guess when you don't have have any competition within 25km you get lazy. I can remember my wife breaking down one night because we were on our last diapers for the twins and they did not stock newborn size. Ridiculous. 

Any of you gents been to a Pusateri's? 

You know Tom 20 years ago they had some of the best Italian style bread anywhere. Dad would come out here and s tock up on it before heading back to Hamilton. Then they changed bakers and that good bread stopped. They have some sales occasionally but then No frills or Food Basic has the same sale. With all the good local Beef, Pork and Poultry we have around here you would think they would carry some. I stare at that disgusting meat display and shake my head then head to Hanson's. Not cheap but the best. A few years ago I said to the meat mgr. "You need to put in another dept. in here next to your meat." What dept? he asked. "A loans department." Ridiculous, and the veggie and fruit isn't much better. I bought a bag of taters there last week and they had 2" eyes growing  on them. No competition sucks. Their canned goods are fresh!!!!! I miss the poultry farm on Kohler Rd. I supplied many a Hamilton restaurant with their wings at a great price, and could still make some money. If I were 20 years younger I would open a deli in town and make money at it. Now that the Brown Water is closed you can't buy anything in town worth eating. Margaret from the radio station  is opening a restaurant across #3 from Haldimand Motors, soon I hope.

Where and what is Pusateri's Tom S.?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

4 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You know Tom 20 years ago they had some of the best Italian style bread anywhere. Dad would come out here and s tock up on it before heading back to Hamilton. Then they changed bakers and that good bread stopped. They have some sales occasionally but then No frills or Food Basic has the same sale. With all the good local Beef, Pork and Poultry we have around here you would think they would carry some. I stare at that disgusting meat display and shake my head then head to Hanson's. Not cheap but the best. A few years ago I said to the meat mgr. "You need to put in another dept. in here next to your meat." What dept? he asked. "A loans department." Ridiculous, and the veggie and fruit isn't much better. I bought a bag of taters there last week and they had 2" eyes growing  on them. No competition sucks. Their canned goods are fresh!!!!! I miss the poultry farm on Kohler Rd. I supplied many a Hamilton restaurant with their wings at a great price, and could still make some money. If I were 20 years younger I would open a deli in town and make money at it. Now that the Brown Water is closed you can't buy anything in town worth eating. A friend is opening a restaurant across #3 from Haldimand Motors, soon I hope.

Where and what is Pusateri's Tom S.?

Yeah, it's changed ownership a few times since then.

I remember when Hanson's was Hogeterp's. Don't go there much myself, I usually make a trip to Highland Packers if I'm looking for something specific. 

Interested to see what comes of that restaurant. I think if they have good everyday food they'll do fine, due to the lack of options out our way.

Pusateri's is a high-end market out Toronto way. They've now got 6 locations. Great place for a foodie to go window shopping, but you'll probably want to leave your wallet and/or wife in the car.

Doug I don't recall ever eating or cooking Placenta. Not too appetizing. Maybe Putanesca Doug, tomato. anchovy, garlic, capers and spaghetti ?

Tom S, Margaret said it will be country cooking with some Italian twists.  I don't know about that concept. I do know she can cook and runs a tight ship. Consistancy for any food sold is the key to success. When I had guys in for ISO training I would ask "Who sells the worst burgers in the world?" Mc Donalds they all agreed. "Who sells the most?" McDonalds, why if they are so bad. Simply because whether in Toronto or Tokyo, Russia or Rainham Centre they are all exactly the same, down to the number of sesame seeds on each and every bun. I know what I am going to get each and every time, simple as that.

Hansen's isn't cheap like I said but if we are having special guests I don't mind paying for quality. It was Hogeterp's when we bought here, before he became a multi millionaire real estate magnate! I knew him when he was a butcher. Maybe not multi but Peter has done very well for himself and his family. The only reason I will go to T.O. now is if I need to catch a flight or I'm driving by it to get somewhere else.

Dave my go to places now are Food Basics and The Banana Store. Best value all under 1 roof. The problem out it here is they are about an hours drive apart. So usually it's one or the other or I plan my week so I will be going by one or the other while the sale is on. However meats can be suspect, like chicken at Food Basic, not grade A often but you can't beat the 10 buck a bag or less for wings, works out to 2 bucks a pound when 30% off. Food Basics had Gallo EVO on for $5.99 a few weeks back, I bought no less than 36 bottles. It's $9.99 or more elsewhere. When Unico canned Tomatoes are on for 99 cents I buy 5 cases. They are good deep red Ont. tomatoes. Right there I saved clos to $300.00.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Bruce,

Hey even Mom and Dad stopped making the Salsa as you call it, we still say Succo from the cans about 40 years ago. There was no one at home to fill the garage with bushel baskets of Romas, let alone carry them downstairs and help with the canning. Was that stuff any better? You bet your bottom Lira it was. I would commit a crime if I could get my hands on a few Mason jars or the old glass pop bottles of it. It was called conserva pronounced con-sair-va. Do the math, a minimum of 5 jars a week X 52 just for Sunday succo, minimum 260 jars a year. Now at 90 and 86 they don't own a frying pan or a pot in the little apartment at the retirement residence and it doesn't bother them a bit. They have been out to dinner more in the last 4 years than in the previous 60, for sure. They ask." Nice here, how long has this place been here?" "Oh I don't know Mom, I've been coming here for more than 40 years." Going out to dinner was just not part of life for them. Time to relax now, they earned it.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

8 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Bruce,

Hey even Mom and Dad stopped making the Salsa as you call it, we still say Succo from the cans about 40 years ago. There was no one at home to fill the garage with bushel baskets of Romas, let alone carry them downstairs and help with the canning. Was that stuff any better? You bet your bottom Lira it was. I would commit a crime if I could get my hands on a few Mason jars or the old glass pop bottles of it. It was called conserva pronounced con-sair-va. Do the math, a minimum of 5 jars a week X 52 just for Sunday succo, minimum 260 jars a year. Now at 90 and 86 they don't own a frying pan or a pot in the little apartment at the retirement residence and it doesn't bother them a bit. They have been out to dinner more in the last 4 years than in the previous 60, for sure. They ask." Nice here, how long has this place been here?" "Oh I don't know Mom, I've been coming here for more than 40 years." Going out to dinner was just not part of life for them. Time to relax now, they earned it.

That is just fabulous!

My folks are still living also, and are in a retirement residence.  But they are both foodies and they do the odd bit of cooking (and freezing) so they can still have some of their favourite things.

9 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Bruce,

I  remember only too well the ordeal involved in making succo and vino. A few families would go out and pick 100 or so bushels of pomedoro on the Saturday.  Come Sunday we would spend the entire day processing what was picked. There would, of course, be mountains of food and far too much vino passed around before the day was done. My wife's nonna was there to supervise.

I cheat by putting bushels of tomato in the freezer til needed. Mind you we only use succo once a week