Can you change a flat tire ??....NF

lew

All 3 kids.. never got the keys to a vehicle solo until they had taken the change a flat "school". It was determined at that time 2 of them might have to show a bit of leg.. hell maybe even the son.. to find someone strong enough to get the nuts off, but at least they knew where the jack was... how to get the spare down from under the truck, etc.

Personally, in 37 or so years of driving I've never had a flat on the side of the road, vehicle or trailer. Stay away from the curb and the garbage it contains and most of your troubles don't happen. That and checking inflation of tires on a regular basis. That's not to say that there has been numerous occasions of family members making it home with nails and screws in tires, that I generally take care of still on the vehicle.

Edited by irishfield

I can usually do this, but as I was changing over to my winter tires/rims and one stupid nut would not come off. I was using an electric impact gun then switched to short breaker bars. I ended up breaking two breaker bars and that was after heating the nut up. Had to buy a longer breaker bar and then I finally got it off. Used a torque wrench to put it back on. I have pulled over to help someone in the past and couldn't even budge the nuts without rolling the whole car. Told her to call for help after that, but made sure she got a hold of someone.

I had an 1988 Jeep Comanche pick up years ago and the wheels would actually seize to the drums on the rear. I could actually drive around and they still wouldn't let go. I think every vehicle can be different, but always good to be prepared for the worst.

Only had to do it once on the side of the road for myself and had no problem. I'm amazed that it doesn't happen more often.

Edited by jimmer

For sure Jimmer... the steel they use today is absolute junk compared to the cars of the '60's and '70's. My son's 2005 Ford Focus.. we snapped more studs off than I can care to count just changing him over from snows to summers, etc. Even after a soak in penetrating oil. Heat seems to work most of the time, but who carries a propane torch in their car, other than Joe, Art and Dano! lol

I can do it and have a few times for myself and others..I have friends and family that have university degrees that couldn't tell me what a red robbie is let alone change a flat..Sometimes I wonder how in the heck they get along with the help of others..

For sure Jimmer... the steel they use today is absolute junk compared to the cars of the '60's and '70's. My son's 2005 Ford Focus.. we snapped more studs off than I can care to count just changing him over from snows to summers, etc. Even after a soak in penetrating oil. Heat seems to work most of the time, but who carries a propane torch in their car, other than Joe, Art and Dano! lol

Three words can take care of that issue "Anti Seize Compound". :whistling:

Got enough tools to not only changena tire on the truck but do the brakes while o am there.

Usually have my tool case and 2 sets of impact sockets 20 vt impact gun bottle jack ect. Also carry spare u joints just in case i run outta talent off roading proper torque is essential and only on clean dry rust free studs and nuts any lube acts as a mechanical advantage and will cause overtorqing and possible stud breakage

Yep, broke off many studs on our work vehicles changing over to snows. New steel is crap. Seem to go through a lot of bearings these days too....wheel bearings especially. I dont even want to mention brake parts....total garbage.

I can change a flat tire pretty quick. Done it many times. I have this thing with bblowing tires and having random stuff put holes in them. A bit of a curse.

S.

If a guy cannot change a tire he needs to hand In His man-card.. (Disabilities aside) but come on! 4-5 nuts a wrench you don't even have to adjust! So simple....

To the dads out there... If your kid cannot change a tire... You are the one to blame... Not the kid.

Insane to think something as simple as turning a nut requires HELP... What a bunch of lazy folks we have become.

G

With all this talk of stud breakage i dp this for a living and dont see to more than a couple a year usually only from some one previously cross threading, chances are not using the bars right if socket not flush and bar mot perpindicular to rim force starts to bend stud instead loosen nut

Bo and Luke Duke have nothing on me when it comes to changing a tire or even a prop. Only once have I had to do my own tire and that was because a brand new Michelin was defective and blew out. All the rest were with buddiees over the years or at Cayuga changing out slicks for street tires back in our 5.0l fever days.

I have done many but since we got CAA why bother unless I am in a hurry. However to behonest I think I have only had one flat in the past 10 years and even that was a slow leak with a nail in the side wall (thanks to our local land fill insisting I had to take weeds up to the dumping face) and I just went to our local Nissan dealer. Only cost me $300.00!

Saw a car fly by last week with a flat tire, story was "Dad some bad guys in town were laughing at me, and the car's making a funny noise but I think it's alll right.

hahahahaha

years ago I seen a guy drive into safeway gas station in a rush to get air. dood was already riding on his rim

I cringed abit when he turned in and hit a nice bump

Edited by manitoubass2

I've done a couple, for other people. My last one was almost a killer. Going to work Nov 5 at 6am on the 401 just past Keele I hit a tire that came off another carand was laying flat on the ground, I made it to the Dufferin overpass and behind me was the car with no tire parked! he came over and told me it was his and told me it just had the tires changed!

I got out to see what the damage was (driver side) next thing I notice cars were coming very, very close so they could take a look! See Yah! never again on a highway. CAA has it covered if need be.

Funny thing when I get home I get a phone call from my brother wondering if that was me! The car I drove had a very distinct colour :) Something they called Teal back then.