tb4me

Another front office hire in Leaf land.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=776948

lemaireblogaug14.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Friday that the hockey club has hired Jacques Lemaire as a special assignment coach. Lemaire spent the past six seasons with the New Jersey Devils organization as a head coach (2009-10, 2010-11) and most recently as a special assignment coach.

Lemaire, 69, has coached more than 1,200 games between Montreal, New Jersey and Minnesota. The LaSalle, Quebec native is an 11-time Stanley Cup champion – winning eight times as a player, twice as an assistant general manager and once as a head coach. Lemaire is a two-time winner of the Jack AdamsTrophy as the NHL’s coach of the year and also won an Olympic gold medal with Team Canada while serving as an assistant with head coach Mike Babcock.

“Obviously Jacques Lemaire has a wealth of experience. We had a great relationship from the 2010 Olympics and I’ve asked him to join our staff to help me and the rest of our coaches within the entire organization be the best they can be,” said Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock.

As a player, Lemaire spent his entire NHL career with the Montreal Canadiens. He’s a former two-time NHL all-star and one of only six NHL players to have scored two Stanley Cup winning goals. Lemaire was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1984.

lemairerecordaug14.jpg

Bringing in more experience up front sure can't hurt. Lemaire missed the playoffs 7 times in 17 years and 4 of them were with the newly formed Wild starting in 2000. That's a good run.

Yeah, you can never have enough guys like Lemaire.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because I hate the Bruins I thought this was pretty funny. :D

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/all-3-boston-bruins-first-rounders-fail-conditioning-test-camp

WILMINGTON, Mass. – In the kind of inauspicious start the Bruins were probably looking to avoid at the opening of rookie camp, all three 2015 first-round picks by the Bruins – Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk and Zach Senyshyn – failed the conditioning test on Thursday morning. The test consists of a series of six back-and-forth 300 meter sprints with three minutes of rest in between each run, and all of them must be completed in under one minute’s time.

While Bruins general manager Don Sweeney gave the youngsters a bit of a pass because the runs were done on a wet, slippery turf surface, it’s also a clear indicator there is still work to be done for each of the talented teenagers. The conditioning test was the second time all the B’s prospects were put through this particular run after going through the same testing at July’s development camp, and none of three first-round picks were able to pass the test on either occasion.

“There’s still an educational process [here]. These are young kids, and they need to understand they are now being evaluated as pros,” said Sweeney, who said all players that flunked the conditioning test will still get a chance to play in the Buffalo rookie tournament this week. “They have to compare themselves against the pros and the established guys. If you don’t realize that there’s some work to be done then that will be pointed out.

“Really it’s about going forward for each and every one of them. Some guys will return to their junior teams with the expectation next year that they have to pass. We expect them to pass. They’ll have to do some work as a result of it. But it’s still an educational process as far as their personal growth.”

DeBrusk was the closest of the three to pass the conditioning run, but said the conditions made it even more challenging to pass the test.

“I was close, so I know what to expect and work on for next time,” said DeBrusk, who finished at exactly a minute on the third sprint to just barely fail the test. “I did way better than I did in the first time. I passed two out of the three. It was tough out there because we were on turf, and it was raining outside today. So sometimes you were slipping and falling out there. That cuts down a couple of seconds, but I was right there.”

Clearly, it’s not the end of the world as it’s not abnormal for 18-year-olds to flunk the grueling conditioning run in their first couple of times out of the gate. At the end of the day it’s not such a bad thing for the first-round picks to get a bit of a wakeup call after a charmed summer where their NHL Draft dreams became reality. Now each of the trio knows that it’s all business with the Bruins from here on out, and the expectations have been raised now that they represent the Original Six organization.

Because I hate the Bruins I thought this was pretty funny. :D

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/all-3-boston-bruins-first-rounders-fail-conditioning-test-camp

I had a good laugh when I heard this on the radio too. I'm not a track star by any stretch of the imagination, but when I was in grade 8 I could run the 400 in about 55 seconds. If these guys can't do the 300 in under a minute, and with a break in between reps, they are not suited to play professional sports.

What's with the Leafs bringing in these pro try out contracts? They might be pretty good additions, but doesn't this go against the end goal of finishing dead last this year? Boyes, Glenncross and Setaguchi (?)

Remember Thomas for the Bruins ? They found a diamond in the rough. Not all stars come up through the ranks. I played with guys that never had a look, but man they could skate and play. Some just didnt care. One guy I know that was 5 ft nothing, has been on a pond hockey team for the last 6 years and skates circles around guys. I was like dude, you never got a shot? Didnt want it, was his response. Theres another fella that was native. This guy was like the wind and could shoot as well. There are many players out there that IMO, make a NHL team in a blink. They just never went that route.