Spearing, Poaching and Dumping of Walleyes

Pikeslayer8

Well, I think some assumptions are being made, without anybody saying something that might be considered "politically incorrect."

Many years ago I met a bunch of good old boys from North of Highway 7, who went spearing for "pickerel" every spring. They considered it their birthright, it had been done for years and by the generations before them, and they were not about to stop.

Yes, on the Moira.

Nope, no reference to treaty rights (which may or may not exist in relation to this fishery, I have no idea.) They were rural Ontario rednecks and saw nothing wrong with their poaching. Those men would be in their 50s and 60s now, with children and possibly grandchildren, and I am guessing the spears being used have been "in the family" for years. Education has not been successful, and fear of enforcement has probably diminished along with the MNR budget.

VERY sad.

Doug

Interesting angle on some views here---and as Shag has mentioned there are a few possibilities

But unless I had hard and fast proof---I'm reserving opinion

I do know if I had an axe to grind---I could set this scenario up to look a certain way so that clues lead directly to a certain group---too easy

Not saying it could'nt be----but there's little here in the ways of facts---other than someone wasted good fish

Horrible. I'm kinda seeing bush arts angle but no proof to go off. I've seen it and even been the victim once before. I have a family member that commercial fishes LOTW. At least twice somebody has hauled his nets and left them in his front yard full of fish, which is just rediculous. A few years ago i came home to a 6ft sturgeon laying in my yard. No idea who how or why? But thank god i was able to revive the fish after contacting MNR. Some people just do really stupid stuff.

Down here in Niagara there are communities which also have similar views to those experienced by akaShag up in Moira. Until 2008, pike could be speared and netted, and fished all year.

Seems many here have not heard of the regs changes, and there are those who feel they are "entitled' to carry on as their forbears did.

No it is not the native community, nor is it the immigrant community. Some of these communities have 200-250 year histories.

:blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: Lock it ? Better yet delete it. All we do it yap about it without doing anything to initiate change. Just another boo hoo session. Wonder if the MNR will set up a sting operation and get to the bottom of it. Highly doubt it. :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

Im ok with spearing, and in some cases even poaching, but doing it, and dumping the fish is garbage, and someone needs a good slap up side the head for it....i dont care what race, religion, or colour they are!

S.

If it was not for all the fat hungry white men who pay dearly for the white meat. There would not be a problem. :)

They are just filling non native Bellies. People who buy the fish, know where it came from.

Pretending they don't and then complaining about it?

:)

Edited by GbayGiant