2 people killed on lake simcoe

fishindevil

heard on the radio this morning early,that there was a crash on simcoe last night or yesterday,when a truck hit a pressure crack,with 5 people in it and 2 were killed is that correct ? dont even know if it was fishermen....thats :( terrible news for sure...can anyone confirm this ??

As of last night it was one dead(32 yr old woman), two with serious injury and the other two with minor injuries. It seems they were thrown from the vehicle and speed was definately a factor. Damn shame.

Thats just terrible. It wouldnt be to hard to roll i was out there yesterday on my trike. The bare ice mixed with some small drifts means that if that the truck goes sideways and grips, its going over.

My sympathy to the families.

I heard they rolled the truck. Would love to know what really happened. Speed? Its not easy to roll a truck on a frozen lake....

S.

It is when you're out there doing 70mph and hit a pressure crack.. People rip around on that lake ALL the time..

Edited by BillM

Years ago my brother was snowmobiling across Scugog and when he hit a patch of clear ice he slid sideways then hit a pressure ridge and flipped his machine and was thrown off. Luckily he he wasn't going too fast and wasn't seriously injured.

I'd imagine it could happen just as easily with a truck if you were going fast enough.

I heard they rolled the truck. Would love to know what really happened. Speed? Its not easy to roll a truck on a frozen lake....

S.

Can happen. With the right amount of speed you can flip a go cart on a flat surface. Believe me, I've had them up on two wheels a few times.

It only takes a second! There have been a few times when I have "taken a chance" = "not really sure what to expect but nothing bad is going to happen". It really goes to show that ANYTHING can happen and it can happen in a heartbeat.

I've been one of the lucky ones, my number just wasn't up at that time but it can happen to any of us at any time no matter how invincible you might think you are!

I'll bet you anything the driver of that truck didn't go out there that day thinking that someone would die. My heart goes out to the families and all that were involved,

Years ago my brother was snowmobiling across Scugog and when he hit a patch of clear ice he slid sideways then hit a pressure ridge and flipped his machine and was thrown off. Luckily he he wasn't going too fast and wasn't seriously injured.

I'd imagine it could happen just as easily with a truck if you were going fast enough.

Exact same thing happened to my buddy on a quad last year. Smashed the helmet right off his head. Serious concussion and whip lash... But he survived with no broken bones...

My thoughts go out to the families. This could easily happen to any of us. Those pressure cracks can be hard to see until you are right on them. A few years ago we hit a drift, unmarked that was left by a hut that was moved, and were airborn on the sled for quite some time, and came down hard. It cracked the front of the sled and I hurt my chin when my helmet hit. Yup, it hurt, but definitely could have been worse (right Terry and Fidel)!!

I'm sure they were out fishing and having fun and tragedy struck.

Edit: I would never wear a seatbelt while in a vehicle out on the ice either, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Joey

My thoughts go out to the families. This could easily happen to any of us. Those pressure cracks can be hard to see until you are right on them. A few years ago we hit a drift, unmarked that was left by a hut that was moved, and were airborn on the sled for quite some time, and came down hard. It cracked the front of the sled and I hurt my chin when my helmet hit. Yup, it hurt, but definitely could have been worse (right Terry and Fidel)!!

I'm sure they were out fishing and having fun and tragedy struck.

Edit: I would never wear a seatbelt while in a vehicle out on the ice either, for obvious reasons.

Window down as well,doors unlocked. As said,very tragic,I use to run the ice myself in my truck years ago.Looking back,think I was lucky nothing happened.

A few years ago we hit a drift, unmarked that was left by a hut that was moved, and were airborn on the sled for quite some time, and came down hard. It cracked the front of the sled and I hurt my chin when my helmet hit. Yup, it hurt, but definitely could have been worse (right Terry and Fidel)!

oh yeah, just couldn't get his attention

Never really understood the reasoning behind ripping it down frozen lakes, especially ones we'll travelled. With huts, pressure cracks, drifts it's very dangerous.

The police indicated the vehicle rolled numerous times ejecting the occupants. They must have been doing at least 80 and probably more. Head shaker for sure.

Apparantely it was airborn for over 200 feet, gives you an idea of the speed involved.

I had a feeling these weren't fishermen... Sounds like a few were in the bed as well.

Edited by BillM

They are saying on the report 200-300 feet. I am amazed at 300 feet. I recall at the indy a hotwheel truck jumper 300 feet. it was doing 90mph as in 145 km/h and used a 16 foot tall take off ramp. If it in fact did fly 300 feet that is just astounding.

They are saying on the report 200-300 feet. I am amazed at 300 feet. I recall at the indy a hotwheel truck jumper 300 feet. it was doing 90mph as in 145 km/h and used a 16 foot tall take off ramp. If it in fact did fly 300 feet that is just astounding.

When they say 300 feet they're likely referring to the point where it became airborne to the point where it came to rest after rolling and sliding. Like the jumper, they'd need to be traveling very fast and have a purpose built ramp to be airborne for so long and there definitely wouldn't be any survivors.

It's unfortunate that 5 minds combined could not come to the conclusion that driving fast on unfamiliar ice might possibly be a bad idea.

From what I read it was actually airborn for 200-300 feet before landing as per the quote below.

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/investigators-learn-more-about-fatal-crash-on-lake-simcoe-1.1733536

“The vehicle was airborne for 200 to 300 feet and when it landed it rolled a couple of times,” says Brock Fire Chief Rick Harrison.

Read more: http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/investigators-learn-more-about-fatal-crash-on-lake-simcoe-1.1733536#ixzz2wLKYj4EN

From what I read it was actually airborn for 200-300 feet before landing as per the quote below.

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/investigators-learn-more-about-fatal-crash-on-lake-simcoe-1.1733536

“The vehicle was airborne for 200 to 300 feet and when it landed it rolled a couple of times,” says Brock Fire Chief Rick Harrison.

Read more: http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/investigators-learn-more-about-fatal-crash-on-lake-simcoe-1.1733536#ixzz2wLKYj4EN

I don't doubt the quote but I do question his ability to estimate length. Think about the speed and size of a ramp needed to propel a loaded vehicle the length of a football field. No need to sensationalize a tragedy like this.