Local Canadian Tire is sold out of ....

Entropy

Port Perry Canadian Tire is sold out of:

Generators, all Portable Fuel Cans, Propane, Kerosene, salt, and very low on two stroke oil, bar oil.

The woman in sports said that all propane an kerosene is owned by Coleman and American Co. and they don't know when they will get any more, as the US is getting bad weather. She said that Coleman owns most propane in North America. She also said they are having a hard time getting Ammo and Firearms too, and said she fears what would happen if the US and Canada got into a war, because we make very little for ourselves anymore.

Interesting to say the least. Not new info, but interesting.

Entropy

Our local CT is sold out of most of these items as well. While it sounds like the CT clerk is a little off the rails, it does prove the theory that you should keep things on hand. Our local store was stripped of all these items within a day of the ice storm, and still isn't restocked!

Edited by porkpie

I predict a fire sale on generators this summer as people come to their senses and realize they were knee jerking by buying whatever was on the sales floor. Unless one is going to rewire their furnace, a genny is not going to do much to heat a house (something way more important that lighting) with space heaters. I will admit to replenishing my stock of candles by a factor of 3x however ;)

If I had a truck, I'd be cruising Toronto cherry picking the lumber piled on the road for the fireplace.

Edited by woodenboater

Well our can tire up here in Lindsay usually has them all year round as we are used to power going out up here in the kawarthas and Haliburton and these can tires stores probly carry more of those things than the southern stores for that reason alon as well as cottagers who use them in the summer time when on their holidays check some of the stores on-line. Like I said I have had a nice sized Hyundai genny for several years as most do outside of the city .... And lots of people heat with propane up here too and their have been shortages as well and the trucks are only filling people's tanks half full so there is enough to go around as demand has went way up thei winter because of it being colder than normal

Just checked and copied a page lots of gennys for sale !!!!!! Love the Lindsay can tire it's a superstore !!!!! And wait till you check out the fishing dept !!!!! It's awesome

Yep, I agree, I love Lindsay CTC as well, it is only 5 km further to drive than the one in Port Perry, a great outdoors section.

But, just because they have them advertised on their website doesn't mean they gave them in store.

Although we weren't affected by the ice storm like they were down south or even to the west, I assume some people drove there to buy their stuff that was already sold out in the cities. Lindsay, I think might be too far for most.

So they are not filling land tanks in the kawarthas? Just half full? That is no good.

Entropy

Was in the CTC store in Lindsay on Saturday, plenty of generators still in stock! I haven't heard anything about propane companies only filling tanks half full and I have a buddy who drives one for a living. I know from my last bill they filled mine right up.

I haven't heard anything about propane companies only filling tanks half full and I have a buddy who drives one for a living. I know from my last bill they filled mine right up.

Everything seems good over my way too Cliff, infact several homes on my road has their tanks filled up just this past Friday.

Hopefully it stays this way.

Don't be scared we have the same run on items when we get bad weather and they tell us the same thing minus the what if's of going to war with Canada. The reason that things are so slow to restock is people are hording the supplies such as survival gear guns and ammo especially. We haven't had 22 ammo available for almost a year now. The factories have geared up to produce the 9mm .45, and other man stoppers for the hoarders to buy at a premium price I might add. A true lesson in supply and demand for those that love to watch people and their reactions to social media events.

Art

I question the wisdom of buying a CTC generator for an emergency. You need something you can count on. I suggest spend the extra $$ and get a good quality one such as a Honda.

While I would agree with you in most things like that , I can't on the basis that we have run off brand gennies for years at our hunt camp, and put hundreds and hundreds of hours on them. And yes eventually they fail, however it would surprise you how long they run before the Big Bang. Maintenance is the key with them. Most people who buy the cheaper ones will fill them with oil And gas and never look at them again. Guaranteed they will fail in an emergency. If looked after, run often, oil changed once a year for light users, and the carburetor run dry by shutting down the gennie with the fuel shutoff valve instead of the off switch, I have no doubt that most of the champions etc. will power someone through a week long emergency. If you are an end of the world type, then yes your right buy a honda but we've run cheap generators for so many hours without failure that on this I'd disagree!

Edited by porkpie

Entropy - i wouldn't worry about the US. If Port Perry ever goes to war with Lindsay, it sounds like you guys are in trouble.

Ummmm, nothing here says that is a concern of mine, and I do agree it is odd that she said that but ... she did say that.

Think about it, someone is understanding that Ontario is loosing - and no longer has - a lot of industry that it once did. Shouldn't a nation be able to 'supply' itself? It would be great if we could, but in a day and age of Globalization, I think most countries also couldn't.

I watched a movie / video / documentary last night called 'Inequality for All' it was ... interesting, and perhaps a bit informative. I'm not the kind of person to analyse markets, and the distribution of wealth, but found it watchable. It kind of played along a similar theme as this post.

Entropy

Entropy - i wouldn't worry about the US. If Port Perry ever goes to war with Lindsay, it sounds like you guys are in trouble.

Thing is where I live we are Port Perry and Lindsay. Port Perry is 5 km closer, but Lindsay has a lot more 'stuff' and services. Heck the last place of residence for us was Lindsay, a better place to live than Port.

i'll add another complaint to this growing list, ran out of propane bbqing burgers tonight, its 630, np, propane refills til 7 here in whitby, get there an nope, can only refill your tank fri, sat, sunday til 11-6pm, i ask the guy where i can get propane, he tells me to go to costco......in pickering.......... 1: i have burger almost done, 2: no membership 3: im not driving to pickering........

Most of the refill stations have disappeared around here Bernie and not worth the hassle for the $2 difference. I swap here in Penetang for $22 and $23.50 in Temagami and had enough outdated, but newer style valve, tanks to swap without purchase.

Never notice you had a tank there at Giesler Marine / Auto...