Dangerous boat operator in Rice Lake.

Steelcat

:asshat:

We had an experience yesterday with an ignorant tourney pro on Buckhorn.

We were drifting between two islands when one boat was coming up behind us, as they slowed to pass, another bass boat came flying around the point of the island at full speed headed right for us. I was seconds from jumping from my boat. He came off plane no more than 10 yards off my bow and then had the balls to give us crap for fishing in that spot, don't really know what that was all about. We told him to slow down and watch where he was going and he took again in a huff. :asshat:

You should have got his licence # and gone to where they do their weigh ins and had a talk with him and the tourney director. He should know better. Jack :asshat:

Haven't seen you in bit Farmer. When the last time you stop in the middle lane of 401 to eat your DQ and have some family time?

Most likely at the Orillia Perch Festival there was a bunch of small boats and the cop needs to no better. Most of these cops are just on for the summer took the course and are basically stupid. Next time name and badge and call there staff sargent.

Jer reading your post....... and I'm guessing. You sat somewhere close and watched this pro catch some fish. What you should have done is looked around and said that looks like that and off you go smarter and a better angler.

What the pro did wrong was leave something nobody's right.

Jer reading your post....... and I'm guessing. You sat somewhere close and watched this pro catch some fish. What you should have done is looked around and said that looks like that and off you go smarter and a better angler.

What the pro did wrong was leave something nobody's right.

You shouldn't make assumptions...they make an :asshat: out of you and me.

I don't really care where the pros fish, I can find my own spots. I live on the lake, fish it almost everyday, and know it better than most of the pros.

If you read more carefully, you'll see we were fishing the spot long before this dimwad came through at full speed. He wasn't upset we were fishing "his" spot, apparently we were just in his way on his own private water speedway. It would have been no different if we were broken down there and adrift. He just wasn't looking where he was going at 60 mph.

:asshat:

You should have got his licence # and gone to where they do their weigh ins and had a talk with him and the tourney director. He should know better. Jack :asshat:

The thought did occur to us, but I don't even know where the tourney was based from, and we didn't get his info. Next time I'll have a camera ready.

I understand that stuff happens, a simple "sorry guys, didn't see you there" would have sufficed. It was the attitude that pissed me off, like we were at fault.

I had an OPP boat pretty near capsize me when they approached from up wind, and drifted right into my port side. The girl driving was a total dipstick, I was pissed!! They didn't even check my gear they were so embarrased. I told them to always approach from downwind from now on, and don't get so damn close!!! If I wasn't anchored I would have stayed well clear, but with 100ft of rope out I couldn't get out of the way in time.

If your in a small boat, stay away from the main channels. A lot of people will run between you and a marker buoy, no matter how much space there is to go around. I know the same thing happens in Bewdley as well. I wouldn't fish in front of town, just for that reason. I think Rice lake attracts more idiots than most other lakes to be honest. Between the hundreds of boat rentals, and the rest of the citiots that show up there, I'm surprised there isn't more people killed on that lake!!

S.

With apologies to 'normal sane boaters', I compare this to the 'Toronto crazies'..

I seldom hit the lakes at this time of the year, but definately compare it to some of the folks I meet on streams in the fall. No consideration or care for the rest of the folks on the pool, or hole. It's all about wanting to fish where 'they want'.

They have been thinking about catching fish for the last couple of weeks, and don't give a crap for anybody else.

Compare it to the creep who cuts you off on the 401, so he can get a couple of car lengths ahead of you, when all the rest are creeping forward, and just wanting to get home.

You see them all the time!

This kind of thing is happening all over the place. It's a sign of the times and the "me first" attitude of so many people.

I love how everyone blames Toronto Crazies. I am not from the city but always get a chuckle from people who blame things on people that they do not know and assume that they are something that they do know. Those guys could have been from Tillsonburg for all anyone knows. Damn Tillsonburg crazies. They have never been the same since the tobacco industry gave way to soy bean. Weirdos.

I love how everyone blames Toronto Crazies. I am not from the city but always get a chuckle from people who blame things on people that they do not know and assume that they are something that they do know. Those guys could have been from Tillsonburg for all anyone knows. Damn Tillsonburg crazies. They have never been the same since the tobacco industry gave way to soy bean. Weirdos.

HEY I'm right here LOL :dunno:

Well Grimace, if you lived around here, you would understand how things change on a weekend. Crazy drivers on the roads, and on the water. Its not like that from sept till june, but june till end of august is nuts with "vacationers". (I hope that's a better term for you) I prefer citiots myself.

S.

Interesting thread, I've learned a couple things.

No one's exempt from stupid behaviour on the water including the OPP.

And it seems that some tournament anglers believe their rights on the water are more important than everyone elses.

Why am I not surprised.

Edited by solopaddler

Interesting thread, I've learned a couple things.

And it seems that some tournament anglers believe their rights on the water are more important than everyone elses.

Why am I not surprised.

Not very many have this out of my way attitude but some do I find pleasure boaters are far worse for crowding and passing at high speed.

If you are fishing a certain mouth of a River on Rice then you are in the war zone. It's par for the course fishing that water unfortunately. I've been buzzed there many times by bassboats, tinnies with 9.99's, bayliners, sea doos, and once by a tough guy in a canoe, I could atleast give him an earful though.

Edited by Harrison

Well Grimace, if you lived around here, you would understand how things change on a weekend. Crazy drivers on the roads, and on the water. Its not like that from sept till june, but june till end of august is nuts with "vacationers". (I hope that's a better term for you) I prefer citiots myself.

S.

I do not doubt for a minute that there is some truth to it, perhaps a lot of truth to it, but when you see a jerk on the water or road and mutter to yourself 'citiot' you are perpetuating that stereotype and confirming it in your own mind without ever knowing if you are correct. Same goes for an out of towner who assumes he just got buzzed by a local who doesn't want him on 'his' lake.

I do know one thing, that is the Kawartha region would have a much different economic climate without 'citiots' visiting every weekend.

Guilty here,BUT.

Fishing a lake that has bouys to guide you straight through a channel, with no speed limit and trying to get to your spot before any other,and theres boats anchored beside the channel,you anchored boaters,take your chances.

Im not saying it,s right that we blast through,but it,s not wrong.

I can't speak for all tourney guys but my tourney partner and I always give lots of space when passing other boats that are anchored or slower and slow down when we can't give room and we always get waked almost got sunk on the st clair river last year by a 30+' cruiser .

BTW Tillson Burgs a beautiful little town to live in ya jerks LOL

If you are fishing a certain mouth of a River on Rice then you are in the war zone. It's par for the course fishing that water unfortunately. I've been buzzed there many times by bassboats, tinnies with 9.99's, bayliners, sea doos, and once by a tough guy in a canoe, I could atleast give him an earful though.

Otonabee?

We had an experience yesterday with an ignorant tourney pro on Buckhorn.

We were drifting between two islands when one boat was coming up behind us, as they slowed to pass, another bass boat came flying around the point of the island at full speed headed right for us. I was seconds from jumping from my boat. He came off plane no more than 10 yards off my bow and then had the balls to give us crap for fishing in that spot, don't really know what that was all about. We told him to slow down and watch where he was going and he took again in a huff. :asshat:

They aren't actually tournament pros Jer. They can afford to buy a big bass boat and truck to tow it, then call themselves tournament pros! Those things can be killing machines in an inexperienced operator's hands. They go to marina buy the boat, stick it in the water, and off they go without any training.

It happens to me weekly out on Pigeon and it's so dangerous. However, thank God for the Boaters Card. They know what they're doing!

I can't speak for all tourney guys but my tourney partner and I always give lots of space when passing other boats that are anchored or slower and slow down when we can't give room and we always get waked almost got sunk on the st clair river last year by a 30+' cruiser .

BTW Tillson Burgs a beautiful little town to live in ya jerks LOL

You know any of the Balcombe clan???????

Slayer