Hybrid?

I've caught 3 of these, in 3 different waters, over the last couple of year. Looks a lot darker than the "Tiger Muskie" pics i've seen online.

Thoughts?

Tiger Ski.jpg

Looks like a juvenile Northern Pike to me. They often have that colour pattern when young. You can count the "pores" on the underside of the jaw to be sure. Does the water you're fishing have both species ?

I doubt its a Juvy, i've seen small pike and they look nothing like this. This one was close to 30" so again, not a juvy.  Very interesting.

BTW, yes, both species exist in the waters I was fishing, one was the Massassauga park.

Like I said, unless you counted the pores on the lower mandible, it's difficult to confirm one way or another.

I'm certainly no expert in fish ID...however, two things have me thinking its a Pike, and not a cross.

Google "juvenile Northern Pike images"...all kinds of examples with that exact colour pattern. I've caught many myself with that colouration in lakes that the nearest Musky was more than 200 km away.

Second, I had a cottage on Wahsoune Island right in the middle of Massassauga PP for several years. Never saw a Tiger, never heard of one....but I did catch young Pike that looked exactly like that. I may be wrong, but for whatever reason Pike and Musky just don't seem to hybridize in Georgian Bay.

Although not always the case, Tigers (and pure Muskies) typically have darker stripes on a lighter background. In the Kawarthas you will see olive coloured Tigers, but its a dark stripe on light. The photo is a typical mature Tiger (49") from NW Ontario's Eagle Lake this past September....big head, rounded fins...Tiger traits vs Musky.

If you want confirmation, find Gord Pyzer on Facebook. Gord knows his toothy critters.

16817997308.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Like I said, unless you counted the pores on the lower mandible, it's difficult to confirm one way or another.

I'm certainly no expert in fish ID...however, two things have me thinking its a Pike, and not a cross.

Google "juvenile Northern Pike images"...all kinds of examples with that exact colour pattern. I've caught many myself with that colouration in lakes that the nearest Musky was more than 200 km away.

Second, I had a cottage on Wahsoune Island right in the middle of Massassauga PP for several years. Never saw a Tiger, never heard of one....but I did catch young Pike that looked exactly like that. I may be wrong, but for whatever reason Pike and Musky just don't seem to hybridize in Georgian Bay.

Although not always the case, Tigers (and pure Muskies) typically have darker stripes on a lighter background. In the Kawarthas you will see olive coloured Tigers, but its a dark stripe on light. The photo is a typical mature Tiger (49") from NW Ontario's Eagle Lake this past September....big head, rounded fins...Tiger traits vs Musky.

If you want confirmation, find Gord Pyzer on Facebook. Gord knows his toothy critters.

16817997308.jpg

Definatly worth looking into. Thanks!

1 hour ago, BillM said:

I don't think that fish is close to 30 inches lol

Specially when you compare it to the shoe beside it.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 10:26 AM, KraTToR said:

I've caught 3 of these, in 3 different waters, over the last couple of year. Looks a lot darker than the "Tiger Muskie" pics i've seen online.

Thoughts?

Tiger Ski.jpg

I ve caught lots of pike that look like this in the spring in a certain Halton creek …. Looks like a hammer handle!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, lew said:

Specially when you compare it to the shoe beside it.

I'm thinking 30 centimeters myself and I concur with those who said juvi northern.

• Like 1