If you had to start all over

GBW

Hey all.

I've been in sales all my life (well the past 12 years or so) and now I'm out of work as I got laid off. The owner of the company I was at lost a $50K service contract so he could no longer afford me even though I was doing well.

With that said, right out of High School I joined the military for a few years and then left and have been in sales ever since. I'm now 36 and thinking what to do? Every place I talk to is telling me that because I do not have a University degree I'm pooched. My best asset is my people skills and I'm not afraid to "get my hands dirty" if I have to. In fact I like to build things.

I've got some time to think about this so I figured I would ask the folks here what they have had to do or what would you do if you got put in this poistion... Thanks all.

Geoff

Fairly happy with my job most days, crazy for about three months of the year...easy money the rest of the time.

Even though jobs are scarce in the field, if I was just getting out of high school again, back in the mid 80's when I graduated, Sir Sanford Fleming offered some great programs in the outdoors.

I suppose I was extremely lucky that I realized almost right out of school that office work wasn't my bag, so it was a relatively easy choice to go back and pursue my current gig full time.

If you are good at sales you will bounce back! A B.A. is nothing compared to experience and the ability to build rapport with a customer. The trick is selling that to a perspective employer.

Maybe someone is looking for a sales rep in the fishing industry...that would be sweet!

geoff at 28 years old im kinda in the same boat. i went to school and graduated as an automotive technician, i then decided to tackle a different trade and opened a contracting company. a few years ago i had my life sidelined by a drunk driver who put me in the hospital and turned my life upside down by breaking my neck.

im now recovering, i am able to look for work but cannot go back to my trades as my back wont handle it. thus far i have not found anything. im gonna end up going back to school at trying my hands at some type of office enviroment/sales training.

as humans we are very resourceful. when one door closes another opens. you say you like building things? well why not give carpentry a try? there are unions out there that do some major training and job placements. or how about finding something you are great at building and getting a market for it? a friend of mine is incredible at building desks, and chairs. he's now got a business that sells to a higher end market doing great for himself.

im sure in the end your determination and smarts alone will net you something that you will enjoy.

cheers.

Hey Geoff,

Sorry to hear, its a tough position to be in, but may be a blessing in disguise. For now, considering your 'street smart' & 'dirty hands' label, there is a break through that.

Since the recession the gov't launched a program called Second Career, where they essentially pay the whole shebang of your education. A friend of mine was approved and is living happily in Barrie taking an IT program, all on our tab and he's having the time of his life! You go back to college full-time and get financial assistance in the form of grants the whole way along. Weblink here:

Second Career

Aside from this the world is your oyster, and an adventure is another possibility. Travel Canada or the world. Work on a cruise line, lobster boat, MNR jobs in sticks, write a book, start your own local business... the possibilities are endless.

Good luck, and if I have any other more specific thoughts I'll shoot them your way.

Cheers

Ever since I can remember I was going to be a fireman like my Dad. Finished high school, took some fire courses, got my first aid, DZ license, scuba license for the scot, basically lined it all up. I was told not apply until i was 22/23. Well, I did and passed everything except the eye test, I have a binocular vision issue. I was devastated. That book was closed in my face.

With no real schooling I wasn't sure what to do.

So for a second career, I took a PT job with the City, took courses, applied and studied my arse off to get FT. It has since paid off. Not my dream, but I still work with emergency services and other divisons in the office.

Maybe think about the PT route and take some courses in something of interest or get your DZ license, seems to be a few jobs around if you got it. Good luck to you.

Edited by Harrison

As a second career...i would have agreed and accepted to play jr A hockey and see where it got me....otherwise...Dr.Sal could chime in on the great job i left killing sea lamprey

If I could do it again, I'd likely go the trades route and be a plumber or an electrician. Not that I should complain as a paper pusher, its stable has decent pay and good vacation but it is boring.

If you are good at sales, maybe pursue a b.comm degree or diploma part-time and try and work at the same time.

Back in late 1999 I was laid off from my position as an assembly line supervisor at a truck upfitting plant.

I took the opportunity to go back to school and learn 'bout these newfangled 'puter thingies. :lol:

My course was a year long and cost just over $20K but UI covered 1/2 and paid me UI benefits while I was at school (not much but better than nothing). I graduated in March of 2001 and had a job lined up before graduation. It's now 9 years later and I'm an IT manager working for the government of the North West Territories. The year long investment was well woth the time and money, me thinks. ;)

If you like working with your hands there are plenty of good carreers out there (mechanic or any of the trades). Take time and think of what you want to do and got get em!!!

PS I was 37 when I went back to school and since I graduated and changed carreers my salary has increased by nearly $60K per year. :D

OK, take this from someone that has been full circle. If you are good in sales and like it then stick with it. I joined the army when I was 18, did my three years, got out went back to school and finished my grade 12. Worked in sales/management positions (and a few others) until I was 60 but no matter what I did I always came back to sales. I sold my business in 2003 (the largest of it's kind in Canada (we sold industrial testing equipment) and retired but life without meeting new people every day was just not for me but I decided I needed a change.

Went to school and served my apprenticeship got my license as a small engine technician. I love the trade but the work is seasonal and I can't sit around. Got offered a job in sales last winter (actually I guess I sold the guy on hiring me) and I love it. We actually just had the best quarter in the history of our branch so I guess I'm doing something right.

Sales isn't something you do, it is in your heart and blood if you are any good at it. The best part about it is that you spend your days helping people and you actually get paid for doing it! Sure you have to work hard if you want to be the best but the nicest thing about the job is you are only limited by you!

Now, I have some leads I am working on that you might be interested in. You aren't that far from Lindsay, if you would care to take a drive up this way, I'd be happy to sit down with you and might be able to open some doors for you. Give me a call if you are interested. 705-328-0577

Now, I have some leads I am working on that you might be interested in. You aren't that far from Lindsay, if you would care to take a drive up this way, I'd be happy to sit down with you and might be able to open some doors for you. Give me a call if you are interested. 705-328-0577

Very admirable, Cliff!!!! Awesome seeing stuff like this on the board! :thumbsup_anim:

What I would have done is become a stone mason, and if you are creative, are good with people, aren't afraid of work, can learn, and want to have your own business, there is a lot of money to be made in this line of work. Folks who want stone architecture aren't afraid to spend big bucks.

This is just an opportunity. Now that you've had a while in the working world you probably have some ideas on what you wish you'd done in the first place. The problem for many is that they get trapped in their job by the security (real or imagined) and are afraid to change despite hating it.

You're in an enviable place right now. You can recreate yourself. The door's wide open. Pick something you wish you had done and go for it with gusto. Money is probably less an issue than one might think. As others have said there are gov't programs to help out.

It's time to be proactive. Make a list of the things you most wish you had done, line them up from best to least preferred, then work your way thru the list from the top eliminating those that simply are impossible for the correct reasons (money, education, location, etc). When you find the choice that is doable go for it.

All the best.

JF

It's a tough position to be in all of a sudden. Sometimes you choose a new path. Other times a door opens in an unexpected direction and you go where you never dreamed of.

I wanted to join the Reg navy but could not pass the physical, so I did the next best thing back then, time with the reserves on weekends while doing the 9-5 in factories.

Went back and got edumacated and spent 10 years in hospital admin. Then became a contractor and suddenly back to doing what my grandparents first did when they came here, agriculture and Hort! I never thought I would wind up where they began. Truth is it was the most satisfying career.

Long story short. Life can be full of surprises. You've got the attitude and adaptability to make a go of most opps. Have at it.

I'd probably go down a business track and do a joint MBA/LLB if I had the opportunity to do it over [and no financial responsiblities etc].

The second career gig was good for the first year, but they caught on and made significant changes. It's pretty hard to get anything from that program now. Still worth going to your career centre and filling out the score sheet to see if you qualify. If you do, you could consider a human resources or marketing program.

Also, experience is worth farm more than some piece of paper. Any good employer will know this. You're a good salesman, so go sell yourself!!!!

Good luck!

Edited by adempsey

I would (and do) tell any young person that you can't go wrong learning a trade. My only regret about becoming an electrician is that I didn't do it a lot sooner. Most trades are in steady demand so you can work as much as you want.

---

"What if", but you can't because no one can turn back the hands of time, your destiny has taken you on a trip, sometimes a bumpy road, sometimes a paved highway, you can change as you go forward but never backward. Education is only a small part of the equation, experience can often count a lot more. A friend of mine recently applied for a lofty job with the UN that "required" an MA which of course he didn't have. His experience blew the other applicants clear out of the water. Good luck in your endeavours.

"What if", but you can't because no one can turn back the hands of time, your destiny has taken you on a trip, sometimes a bumpy road, sometimes a paved highway, you can change as you go forward but never backward. Education is only a small part of the equation, experience can often count a lot more. A friend of mine recently applied for a lofty job with the UN that "required" an MA which of course he didn't have. His experience blew the other applicants clear out of the water. Good luck in your endeavours.

Such true words!!!!

Any SMART employer will take experience over education. I often had university grads come and apply to me for jobs, some of them couldn't even fill out a resume. One of the smartest men I ever knew had a grade 2 education!

Awesome Cliff. I always like someone willing to step forward. This is a great community. Although if Cliff starts milking you for walleye spots make sure the interview is over first.... :whistling: .

You should also check this website.

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/

Every provincial government job available is posted here every week day. I parked my bulldozer one day applied, and was shaking hands with the minister of labour within a month. If a job looks interesting always apply. Remember you don't accept a job until it's offered but if you don't apply the opportunity is not offered.

Good Luck.

PS. Bring fresh fish to Big Cliff's as a bargining chip.

I don't think I would've changed my career path (Web Developer, been in business for 7 years). I'm married with an 11 month old, we have a dog and I work from home in a new house. I can't complain about my life, it's something I've always wanted and most people dream of having.

However, I wish I had enjoyed the outdoors at a younger age. I appreciate it so much now and I definitely would've settled in further north than here in Barrie since my commute to work is about a 60' walk. Live and learn I guess. Wife is happy here and the neighbourhood is filled with toddlers. Maybe in 20 years when he's off to college I could begin dreaming of living out of a cottage lol.

I worked for myself for 12 years before coming to my senses. Went back to school at 30, took a 3 year environmental program and took a full time permanent position the day school ended. There is a lot of compitition just out of school, but my previous EXPERIENCE got me hired! I actually enjoy going to work now.

S.