My Dad Has been in The Hospital (NF)UPDATE

Mike the Pike

I have not been around for a while ON Dec 12 my Dad was admitted to the Hospital he has been there ever since.

It took a week to find the pain in his abdomen which was Diverticulitis a blockage in the intestine.

The doctors have been successfully treating him for that.

During his stay my Dad had an MRI scan and they found a much more serious problem an aortic aneurysm.

He will require major surgery to remove the aneurysm not without risk I am told.

So far it has been 17 days he has been away from home which has been hard on my mom.

They both missed Christmas dinner which has never happened.My mom caught the flu and was too sick to attend Christmas dinner or visit Dad.

So far I don not know when Dad will have the surgery as with the Christmas break there were few Doctors working at the Hospital.

Do any of you folks know someone who has had this operation and how was the outcome?

I am so looking forward too my Father's return home.

I did notice a couple of weeks ago hearing that DanC would have his Dad home for Christmas which I was happy to hear Dan

I hope he is doing well and on the mend.

This has been a gloomy December so I could use the support from OFC members!

Mike the Pike

Edited by Mike the Pike

Sorry to hear you and your family have had a rough Christmas. I hope all goes well for your Dad.

On the medical question, all depends on the size and location of the aneurysm. I've known folks with operable aneurysms, most being successful, and others, like my Gram, who were inoperable.

I hope that everything works out for you and your family Mike. The fact that your Mom has the flu surely doesn't make things easier. Although my Dad is now at home, he still has issues. My Mom stayed healthy during our ordeal, but she is exhausted. They say that time is the greatest healer. I hope that it does just that for both of us.

All things aside Mike, best wishes for the new year.

Dan

Mike... glad they caught it now, while they can operate and I wish your father a long life after it's done and repaired! Gloomy Christmas or not... just give thought to the fact that he's still with you and they caught this thing by accident. If not it's quite possible that he never would've been diagnosed before it got too big. Once they get to big they can't. All surgery is with risk.. but an aortic aneurysm is routine if it's under 5cm in size. Unfortunate for my Mother they let it get too big before they decided to do something for her. Ended up she had two.. both over 5 and in the end one was 10 cm before it burst in August.

Edited by irishfield

Hopefully everything works out well. Family dinners can be had at any time of year. I have one with my children every Sunday.

My only living parent is getting close to 90 and every time we see her it's a blessing; but we also know that illness can happen at a moment's notice and can also be devastating; especially during the holidays; We can only hope for the best for our loved ones.

take care

A

sorry to hear about your dad mike.

i always try to look at the brighter side of things.

so here's my thought....

this is a very good christmas for your whole family because all the cards fell in the right direction ,

they found out about the aortic aneurysm before it was to late.

i hope all goes well and you get a lot more years with your dad.

my father passed away in 98 from liver cancer so i feel your pain.

keep your spirits up and we will all pray for you and your family.

dann

I feel your pain Mike. Been going through the same thing here since June. Dad in the hospital with a bad liver and pretty much taking mom there everyday,sometimes twice... its exausting..Just recently he's been stable enough to go to a special needs nursing home were we are pretty sure he will spend the rest of his days. We did manage to steal him for a few hours on Christmas day though and take him to my sisters for dinner. Hope your dad recovers well from his ordeal and returns home soon...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.....

Never a good feeling to hear this. Especially this time of year. It seems as though everyone's family is at it's closest this time of year. Our family is thinking of you and your parents throughout the festive season. Hope all goes well.

Cheers, Ron...

Hey Mike, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope all goes well for your dad. I unfortunately lost my dad due to diverticulitis ten years ago and I still miss him. As others have said, be thankful that he is still around and that they have caught it now and he can be treated.

All the best for a speedy recovery!

Cheers.

I have not been around for a while ON Dec 12 my Dad was admitted to the Hospital he has been there ever since.

It took a week to find the pain in his abdomen which was Diverticulitis a blockage in the intestine.

The doctors have been successfully treating him for that.

During his stay my Dad had an MRI scan and they found a much more serious problem an aortic aneurysm.

He will require major surgery to remove the aneurysm not without risk I am told.

So far it has been 17 days he has been away from home which has been hard on my mom.

They both missed Christmas dinner which has never happened.My mom caught the flu and was too sick to attend Christmas dinner or visit Dad.

So far I don not know when Dad will have the surgery as with the Christmas break there were few Doctors working at the Hospital.

Do any of you folks know someone who has had this operation and how was the outcome?

I am so looking forward too my Father's return home.

I did notice a couple of weeks ago hearing that DanC would have his Dad home for Christmas which I was happy to hear Dan

I hope he is doing well and on the mend.

This has been a gloomy December so I could use the support from OFC members!

Mike the Pike

Very sorry to hear that Mike, hope both of your parents get well real soon!

I don't know about an aortic anuerism, but my 80 yo pops has has cerebral anuerism surgery and came through it like a champ... then he had triple bypass open heart surgery and can now smoke more cigarettes than me in an hour!

Modern medicine is a wonderful thing, I'm sure everything will work out fine!