Mom and son through the ice

lew

Heard on the radio just now about a mother and son who were riding an ATV on the ice in Muskoka yesterday and went through the ice and apparently both died. Said the father was on another machine and saw them go through but couldnt do anything to help.

Lotsa sad things happening on the ice this year.

That father/husband was spending quality time with his family when this tragedy happened. I hope that his family and friends can give him the support he's going to need to get through this. It's not going to be easy at all I'm afraid.

Brutal. I really feel for that father.

I also read the safety suggestions below that arcticle, and nowhere does it say one thing about pressure cracks. Its the cracks that eat you up, yet nobody seams to mention it in any safety resources. There was probably TONS of safe ice all over that lake.

Sinker

That is one of the most tragic things I have ever heard .

A mans wife is his world and the child they share is the greatest thing a man could dream of .

loosing your world like in a splitt second ..

My heart goes out to this poor soul This brought tears to my eyes ...

God Bless......

Very tragic indeed Lew. My condolances to the family.

I just saw the news report and what bewilders me is the vehicle they were in, not sure what kind of machine personally, but they said they had their seat belts on :dunno: That seems kind of a bad idea to me on the ice.

Joey

What a devastating tragedy ! My deepest condolences to the family.

I can't imagine how he must feel... I am sure I would also have wanted to go in after them ... but that would probably have added to the tragedy

The ice varies alot on those big Muskoka lakes ... can go from a foot to just 2" in a only matter of yards its a scary place to be bombing around on machines at the best of times.

Very tragic indeed Lew. My condolances to the family.

I just saw the news report and what bewilders me is the vehicle they were in, not sure what kind of machine personally, but they said they had their seat belts on :dunno: That seems kind of a bad idea to me on the ice.

Joey

They said it was a UTV, the kind you sit in side by side, sort of like an open jeep.

Very sad indeed!

Joey,

It was a side by side, like a John Deere Gator they were riding. These are called utility vehicles, rather than an ATV. The two passengers sit beside each other.

I was out on the pond this morning and can see holes opening up all over. I think the ice will be gone by weeks end if this weather keeps up. The bigger bodies of water could be even worse with the wind.