Pic for the naysayers

Weekend Angler

Truly an amazing catch. my hats off to the angler. just think,,,guys. this man lays no claim to fame. the most important thing. he released a true trophy. . mr. mcnair has set a standard many would love to meet. that fish was put back, unselfish i must say. after 45 years chasin skies, myself , im very impressed to see musky hunting taken to a new level. to all the guys like myself looking for the next big girl, its proven cpr works.

Beauty musky and nice to see it go back!

As for the world record you have to follow the rules for the IGFA and there are many. I broke a line class fly record 2 years ago and it did not count.

here is the list of rules

http://www.igfa.org/BookRule2004.pdf

everyone is whining about no pics of the fish with a tape, well too many pics can stress and kill a fish. The angler did a great job in releasing that fish.

And a people are reffering to me as negative? :blink:

I did say it was a big fish....bigger fresh water fish than I would ever hope to catch.....I think GCD is saying the same thing....its huge! Why can't the muskie guys accept that?

Whaaa! Whaaa! You muskie guys who are crying over people not taking a strangers word on a 57" x 33" fish need to get real. It is not my fault that people who catch muskie have a history/reputation for exaggerating even the big fish. It is not my fault that people who dedicate themselves to muskie have not figured out a way to quickly take measurements that establish measurement crediibility. Take blame with your other Muskie :worthy: co-anglers for the failure.

If I say I need proof to believe its size then that an opinion that a lot of people share. I don't need a group of jerks (one even PMed me) trying to bully me into changing my opinion or shutting up about it. Count how many people here are still saying its a 57" x 33" Muskie on this board.

So save your whining/crying for the Muskie G2Gs.

forrest

Run Forest run!

Sorry couldn't help it. Actually more than a few of the posters in this thread KNOW the angler in question.

Thumper: He doesn't walk very good, does he?

Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!

Thumper: Yes, mama?

Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?

Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.

I can't believe the belly.....why was it still eating? I guess what they say about muskies putting on the feedbag in the fall is bang-on.

Anyone know if the Ken OBrien fish was caught in the late fall? It had a GIANT belly as well.

Also - anyone know if pike load up like this in the late fall as well? Assuming the muskies are getting big while feasting on the baitfish schooling and spawning....i have to think the big pike are there as well?

O'Brien's fish was caught in October 1988 if I remember correctly.

I was fishing that area for a couple of weekends before and a few weekends after that fish was caught.

For a reason I can't remember right now, we skipped the weekend that pig decided to chomp on a bait.

The week after it was caught, I was shown a muskie wrapped in plastic in a large chest freezer by a rental cottage owner and was told it was the big beast.

It was the only thing in the freezer and lay on an angle from corner to corner because it was too long to lay straight.

Supposedly, it was awaiting some scientific testing, etc., etc. I couldn't understand why it was still there a week after it was caught ???

Could it have been a different ski ??? I didn't question it. Off to fish I went.

The fish in this post is a monster.

Congrats to the lucky angler.

Just to add my two cents. That is a huge fish!!!! Couldnt have released it myself. Personally I feel the scientific information that could have been gathered on a fish of that size is way more important than 1 or if lucky 2 more spawns. Thats assuming that it even makes it through the winter after having undergone the stress of being caught.

Edited by Musky or Specks

And a people are reffering to me as negative? :blink:

I did say it was a big fish....bigger fresh water fish than I would ever hope to catch.....I think GCD is saying the same thing....its huge! Why can't the muskie guys accept that?

Whaaa! Whaaa! You muskie guys who are crying over people not taking a strangers word on a 57" x 33" fish need to get real. It is not my fault that people who catch muskie have a history/reputation for exaggerating even the big fish. It is not my fault that people who dedicate themselves to muskie have not figured out a way to quickly take measurements that establish measurement crediibility. Take blame with your other Muskie :worthy: co-anglers for the failure.

If I say I need proof to believe its size then that an opinion that a lot of people share. I don't need a group of jerks (one even PMed me) trying to bully me into changing my opinion or shutting up about it. Count how many people here are still saying its a 57" x 33" Muskie on this board.

So save your whining/crying for the Muskie G2Gs.

forrest

Forrest, wah wah?? we do not need to take the "strangers" word for it as we can identify the size of the fish from the picture. So if you are unable to judge the size, then just say nice fish and be happy that someone shared a catch of a lifetime. No need to ask for proof or measurements as this will not change the size of the fish. Just enjoy the pictutre and dream the dream of catching one this big.

Dang Ponto, I lip them!

Yes, but he,s a fine looking NFLD fella aint he? :clapping:LOL

Sorry,thats a real nice fish. Dont understand whats going on about this catch. Wish it was me who caught it.

Congrats to the angler.

Do you know how many stories that are out there about guys catching 9 pound smallies on Simcoe.If they say they did,hey,they did. Im sure they are out there.

Edited by misfish

Guest steel'n'esox

wow congradulations on a truly remarkable muskie, very healthy and thick from head to tail, for all the doubters on this board that fish eats fish the size of the ones you continually post pictures of. No tape beside the fish required that fish speaks for herself, I even heard the shimano live release boat offered to take the fish to the Niagra so Lew could catch her on the 13th, but the angler said nope she goes back where she was caught. Had to throw that in there as they just dont grow that big where your trailer is and where we both have been known to pluck a few out once in a while.

This is one of the main reasons why so many musky fishermen never post pictures or stories of big fish, as it's just not worth the aggravation or doubtful accusations of so many others, and what's even worse, is so very often the remarks come from people who have never caught or even seen a big musky in their lives.

We've lost several excellent musky fishermen from this board in the last couple years and comments like these are one of the main reasons they left.

they are in the shadows lew.....

Why would anyone have doubts about this fish in the first place?

:whistling: remember august 16th bill....