Their sinking my old ship......NF

lew

Back in my Navy days in the mid 60's I served aboard the destroyer HMCS Annapolis.

She was built in 1963 and was a great ship that I sailed countless miles in, from Trinidad to Norway and pretty much everywhere else in between.

Like everything manmade though, she only had so many good years in her, and I was under the impression that she was sent to the razor blade factory back in the 90's, but have recentely found out that she is infact now in British Columbia and being de-rigged, and thoroughly cleaned of all contaminants.

When she is totally free of anything hazardous, she will be sunk off the BC coast and used as a place for SCUBA divers to explore and will also no doubt become home to thousands of fish.

I always find it kinda sad to see a good ship scrapped, so it's nice to hear my old friend is gonna live on in a different role, and certainly in a different part of the water column than she has been used to for the last 45 years.

1st 2 pics show her in her glory days and you can also see the helicopter she carried on the flight deck at the rear of the ship.

annapolis-2.jpg

annapol1-1.jpg

These 2 show her while she's being stripped down and getting ready for her new home next spring.

I just hope the BC scuba divers enjoy her as much as I did, many years ago.

Just something I thought a few of you may find interesting.

Annapolis2-1.jpg

Annapolis1-1.jpg

Great thread Lew. They used to call those choppers "Grocery carts that fly" because of the food they'd deliver to ships. I guess the provider would fuel the ships and the choppers did the groceries?

HMCS Annapolis did her time but it's still sad to see her go.

What a beautiful ship, Lew, and bitter-sweet news this must be for ya.

I really enjoy reading about the navy and my library at home consists of books from the days of sail, to the battle of the Atlantic, etc. The navy and ships and shipboard life hold a special fascination for me and I can only imagine the kind of adventures you must have had and the places you have seen in your days, Lew.

Thank you for this post and more importantly your years of service.

Cheers!

There are plans to sink one in the St.Lawrence to take dive pressure off the wood wrecks. (Between Gan and Brockville I believe)

The Eastern Ontario Artificial Reef Association says it hopes to sink the decommissioned HMCS Tera Nova by late 2009.

Thanks Lew that was very cool and sad at the same time the ship is was on is now a museum and looks like crap.

Hardly fitting for a Sleek Grey Hound of Submarine Death!!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE THE STEAMERS!!!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Here are some cool links

http://www.southshorenow.ca/archives/07290...ws/index025.php

Peter

What color is my blood you ask....NAVY BLUE !!!!!!!!

Edited by BITEME

Canadian government should have sold it instead!! That's right we just "buy" old military equipment like subs from other countries.

:blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

Its not what kind of toys you have its how you use your toys.

ASW is our game and WE ARE THE BEST AT IT HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!! ask any sub commander on the planet

although I'm all for artificial reefs for scuba divers to enjoy, it would make for sense to me to send this old girl to as Lew said "The razorblade factory"

the price of steel is through the roof right now. Probably worth more in scrap metal now then it cost to build that ship in 1963!

A far more fitting and dignified end for the old girl Lew. My cousin had the priviledge of serving on HMCS Ottawa on her last tour doing the 'good will and show the flag duty'. She was both his first ship and his last.

My uncle was a life long carrier man on the Maggie and Bonnie. I was a weekender, couldn't pass the physical. My family are bluejackets.

Hey Biteme. I saw the Fraser a few years back and she was a sorry state. Sad really. Don't know how well the work has progressed since. The South Shore link wouldn't open for me.

That's cool Lew, I remember seeing a documentary on TV as well about all the ships they sink in Canada for artificial reefs, I think any fisherman could appreciate that especially if you use to sail on it for years. I know I would like her here on Georgian Bay, would be my new favorite musky spot, plunk it down on the deep edge of a big shoal and bounce crank baits of it all fall and hope you don't snag a scuba diver. :D

Edited by GbayGiant

Thanks for your thoughts folks, and it's good to see everyone seems OK with the idea of these ships being sunk for dive locations. I was afraid there may some negativity about it.

And Peter, thanks for those links, I certainly hope they come up with a solution for the Fraser as sitting rusting at the jetty is a sad way for her to end up.

Thanks for your thoughts folks, and it's good to see everyone seems OK with the idea of these ships being sunk for dive locations. I was afraid there may some negativity about it.

And Peter, thanks for those links, I certainly hope they come up with a solution for the Fraser as sitting rusting at the jetty is a sad way for her to end up.

It makes sense sometimes to sink 'em like that. They provide tourist revenues for the area. They provide new fish habitat. As a diver it's pretty darned interesting exploring the ship underwater - as long as you do it safely. Too often the accidentally sunk wrecks make for pretty dangerous dive conditions due to decay, entanglement hazards, disorientation and loose debris, so these properly prepared and properly oriented modern wrecks are much safer.

The Americans have sunk some pretty big ships recently off Florida, but other countries are doing a fair bit of it. There was an interesting documentary on the prep and sinking of the Halifax (I think it was) off BC a few years ago and there was a tv report done on the prep and sinking of the Niagara II at Tobermory. There's quite an art to breaching the hull with explosives so it settles keel down.

JF