That was my last Boat Show

lew

I went to the Boat Show yesterday but it'll be my last one.

Used to be you could park at Ontario Place for free and just walk an extra 5 minutes, but they've done away with that now and it cost me $10 to park my truck. The entrance fee has gone to $15 now so your lookin at $25 just to get in the joint.......take your wife and it's gonna cost you 40 bucks :angry:

I wasn't in there 5 minutes before somebody came from a booth trying to get me to buy a ticket for some charity, and then I was hit up 3 more times by different people for charity $$$$ in the next couple hours.

I dunno, it used to be an enjoyable way to spend a winter afternoon, but now it's just getting to be an expensive money grab, and I think they've got my last dollar.

Think I'll be giving up on the Sportsman Show too........same reason.

This isn't a rant, just one man's observation.

Lew I have to agree with you on the bad show aspect.They have all gone down hill.I wont make it down to the boat show,but did make it to last years Sportsmen show and I must say,my excitement of heading to my first show in 10+ years was short lived.Nothing like it use to be.Maybe were just getting older and expect more :dunno::dunno: .Im sure the kids still think it,s a fantasy day hell I did. Oh the days of the home made corn dogs. :P:):):)

I think a lot of us are in the same "boat" when it comes to boat shows, sportsman show, fishing show, CNE or whatever. We have become de-senitised to them, :sleeping_02: youv'e seen one boat show (or whatever) and you have pretty much seen them all. It is only if you are in the market to make a purchase that it is then of some interest. After all, it is the buyers the vendors are after, not the lurkers like you or me out killing time and looking for some entertainment, and there are alot of us. True you or I may be a buyer, but we are usually not there to take out a 2nd mortgage on the farm.

I went through this conversation at work in the past year when the boss booked 3 home shows. He claimed that only down and out buyers would spend their time going to a home show. I disagreed, I know from over 10 years of displaying at this type of show that many people are just like me when they attend a show, they may have cabin fever or just want to see something new. :dunno:

But then, maybe there is less at the show this year...after all I said the same about the Sportsmans Show 30 years ago!!! :w00t:

I usually just take the GO train when I am going down there, it probably costs as much as the parking but I don't have to contend with the traffic.

Don't like paying their prices for food down there either.

I was planning on going to the boat show this year, thinking about a new boat but ended up here on holidays, from the sound of it it was the better choice!

I hear ya Lew ... guess its a good thing I didnt manage to get away today ... its too bad really because it used to be a nice afternoon walk ... I'll probably still do the fishing show ... it is the one time all the guys from WAYYYY up north get down to the city from the many remote camps... I enjoy chatting with em ... hopefully that wont be a disappointment (besides at that time of year theres no point going to the stores ... all their stuff is down at the show :)

Just an FYI for anyone driving to the show, you no longer buy your parking ticket at the little booth as you pull into the lot, you now park your car 1st, then go to a meter and purchase your ticket.

It doesn't take cash either, only credit cards.

I would agree somewhat on the money grab aspect especially if your just going to look at all the shinny new boats but if your going to buy or research a potenial new purchase then the 25 bucks can be justified as it would cost a lot more to drive around to all the various dealers to look at potential purchases.

The boat and fishing shows always used to offer savings.....years ago. That was the big draw. You could get some really good deals. But over the years they became nothing more than a big cash grab. I've seen vendors actually raising prices for the shows. I haven't been to the show in Ottawa for years. Not like the old days. I don't like paying money to be advertized to, and that's what you're doing at one of theses shows.

I agree, take the GO train down there, it's worth the $6-7/person once you figure in gas/parking, etc....

Too many people at the shows are trying to take money out of your pocket. It's ridiculous to see how many booths there are at various shows that have nothing to do with the show, it's just people trying to hock their overpriced and useless goods.

If I wanted a new boat, I'd just search them on the web, once I had a short list, I'd physically hit a few dealers to see them.

Guest mistyriver1

That's too bad Lew.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Sportsman's show last year either. I did get to meet Sam from Carra Outdoors though :)

So I guess that means you'll be keeping the Crestliner eh. ;)

never been to the Toronto one but the onein Ottawa is the same. They are charging the vendors alot of money and you are not getting the deals that were once offered. It has become more of a money grab then a fun way to spend a day. I would rather take 50 bucks and go to a local bait shop and buy a few new baits

Too bad but these shows haven't really adjusted to the changing times.

I think years ago, these kinds of shows were all we had to gain product information( as well as entertainment ). But let's face it, you can go to a fishing show anytime you want.. just go to BassPro!

And, as for gaining product information, we now can research products on our computers!

Shows that increase their admission and parking charges, sell booth space to vendors that have nothing to do with the theme of the show, etc., are really missing the boat. Excuse the pun...

Look at the muskie bait you could have bought Lew :D Thats why I don't go to those shows anymore. Even at the fishing show, they've killed the vendors. Looks like another empty building coming soon. Smart business people <_< . I'll spend my $40.00 here at Fishing World and save the gas :thumbsup_anim: .

It`s probably been 5 or 6 years since I have been to one here, just seemed a better deal for me and the buds to make the spring run to BPS, Cabelas, and Netcraft than to drop the money at the show. Cost of admission and parking bought me 100 tubes at Netcraft, a better more reasonably priced choice of food along the way.

If your seriously looking for a boat or a place to go on vacation it might be a choice.

I know what you mean. I just went to a fishing show this past weekend. They advertised how it was a fishing show that had the largest selection & best deals on tackle in Michigan. Ya right! They had more tackle last year and the prices were a rip-off.

The majority of the booths were non-fishing related. Some old lady was pestering me to put some stinky lotion on my hands & some other clown was trying to push gutters that don’t get clogged with leaves. Too bad those gutters cause ice damns & cause more damage than a gutter clogged with leaves. Tackle vendors can't afford to spend $800 plus for a little 8' X 8' floor space to sell tackle at a small mark-up.

The only good thing about the show was 2 of the 3 seminars I sat through, Kevin Van Dam was worth the time spent along with this other guy that guides on Lake St. Clair & Lake Erie.

I said in the past that I wasn’t going to any more shows but every year I still end up going because I get bored sitting around the house all day listening to the wife carp & the kids fight.

Edited by Zib

Lew I hear you but let's look at a couple of points.

I got to see a bunch of stuff that I wanted to see all under one roof. With staff etc on hand to answer questions.

I picked up a bunch of stuff that I had to get (well sort of :)). A new anchor, headlamp etc. I definitely spent more on stuff than admission.

If i had to go to all those place seperately it would have cost me $15 in gas alone not to mention the time.

My parking at Ontario Place was 5$.

The real theives are the concession stands. $3.25 for a bottle of water.

Just my 2cents.

Edited by Nemo

they have all gone downhill. boatshow, fishing show, sportsman show.

but i still go cause i just cant help myself

easiest way to get parking ticket is to pull up beside one of those dispensers then park your car with the ticket. no walking back and forth

Right on Lew.

Everyone wants their cut. and are not happy without a profit. Its like anything people try to get as much out of it as you can. Milk it baby

Just wait till attendance is down and they ask the city for funding or the province.. Can we say AD SCAM.

I as a rule never give to charity when they acost me for it.. If they can afford too put up a booth and ask people for money you know that most of the money you give them is going to marketing. Research your charity first there are too many people scamming for this.

I think the only reason I go too the Sportman Show or the Spring Fishing Show is too meet OFC'er and see some new stuff. :worthy: + get a way from the wife

last years show was my last one! same thing 15 bucks to park 15 to get in then 30 bucks for lunch with a buddy. if im going to spend thousands on a new boat i at least want free parking and maybe a coffee or bottle of water for free. i will stick to dealing wiht boat dealerships and get the same deals as a the show.

cheers!

I go to see my friends and tournament competitors that I otherwise would not see until bass opens. A chance to catch up, gab and look at some shiny new boats.

Ya, it's a dirty cash grab, but like many have said, it beats doing the laundry or getting an early start on spring cleaning.

Charles