Jack's Update Part II

bigfish1965

Jacks surgery went about as expected. There was too much ligament damage to do the TPLO surgery. Instead it had to be done the old fashioned way (like they do on us mere humans) and stick and staple stuff back together. Unfortunately this takes his recovery time up to 8 to 16 weeks depending on how quiet I can keep him.

The good news is that somehow he managed not to tear any meniscus/cartilage when he got hurt. This means he is much less likely to develop arthritis at an older age.

He is going to be heavily sedated for a week at home to allow healing. Any wrong movement can re-tear the ligaments. He's not allowed up any stairs or allowed to jump up onto anything for quite awhile too.

I've used up some vacation time to be with him over the next week or so so there will always be someone here for awhile.

He may be home tomorrow and I'll put up some pictures if he is.

It's nice to be able to breathe again.

That's great to hear Rick. I thought about him all day.

Take a deep breath and have a beer or something and relax. The hard part is over.

Enjoy your time together over the next couple of weeks and let us know his progress.

Joey

Good deal Rick. Been hanging out waiting for an update. Although the recovery time will be extended, it sure sounds like everything will be fine in the long run. Developing arthristis is a concern I'll have for my girl following her surgery in a couple weeks. Good to see you made it through the day as well.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Thanks for the update Rick. Ben's ACL/MCL surgery was done the "old way" too so I know pretty well what you are going to go through. Knowing you as a person, I know that he is in the best possible hands.

Great news he is going to be OK.

John.....

Rick, that's great news that Jack's surgery went well today - with so many good thoughts being sent your way, how could it not go well???

Glad to hear that you'll be able to spend some time close to your buddy - I know he'll enjoy having you around for sure! Just enjoy your down time with Jack & keep thinking positive thoughts. I'll keep you both in my thoughts. Here's to a speedy recovery for Jack! :thumbsup_anim:

DebS

Dog recovery time and their ability to handle pain has always amazed me. What would put a human away for weeks seem to only be days for them, unfortunately thats why you have to be so careful with their recovery. Hard to keep them down so they do the medication for a week or so. Just do your best and time will go by faster than you think.

Edited by Garyv