August at the lake by irishfield

irishfield

Thought I’d break the summer down into Months and post what we’ve been up to up North. We had a great summer, with Leah only taking ill a couple times during the rainy/cold times in July and earlier in September.

I succeeded in doing some firsts, both on the fishing front and renovation fronts. Taught my two young nephews (Leah’s sisters kids) how to cast successfully and safely. One even caught a “BIG” rock bass from around the dock. Fished with my 81 year old mother and my 50+ year old sister for the FIRST time in my life. Targeted Lake Trout all season and got pretty good at figuring out where they go when it’s calm and when the wind blows. Had numerous guests up this season and not one went home without putting a Laker in the boat…or four for that matter. I learned how to split rock to any thickness I desired and hell I even managed to make it stay on a wall. May not be to Bricknblock standards…but I’m happy with my creation. Thanks to a good friend/customer (another reason why you should treat customers like they’re a king), who picked me up at the end of my dock and flew me into the back country one day, I finally got a comfortable enough feeling to explore the back country solo and over the last couple weeks did some exploring and fishing on the back lakes of Temagami.

Here’s the month of August

Funny how there’s work to do each month before I can go fishing. New laminate floor going down…green carpet gone!

aug1.jpg

aug2.jpg

aug3.jpg

Got that all done just before this wonderful couple dropped by the dock. Dano and Fern off for a week of houseboating on Temagami

aug4.jpg

Iguess all women are the same when it comes to pictures!

aug5.jpg

..and off they go to have fun!

aug6.jpg

Here’s my customer, that has become a close friend, dropping in to pick me up and take me on a tour of the back country of Temagami

aug7.jpg

aug8.jpg

aug9.jpg

auga.jpg

Was really happy our son made it up this summer. Leah was happy to have him around for a few days as you can see in her face..

augb.jpg

The view from Caribou Mountain if you’ve never been up there…you should go.

augc.jpg

Can you tell he’s mine?

augd.jpg

About says it all !

auge.jpg

Son tugging on a Laker up around Racoon Point in the North Arm

augf.jpg

augg.jpg

The Eric Lindros hold on another one..

augh.jpg

Shot I thought was neat off the engine cowling

augi.jpg

Dang…more work..

augj.jpg

augk.jpg

augl.jpg

Ready to play

augm.jpg

Maple Mountain fire tower…looking South

augn.jpg

Took Leah into Florence Lake for some exploring and a swim

augo.jpg

augp.jpg

augq.jpg

My buddy Tom came up and I put him on 4 lakers in a couple of hours. This was his best at 27 inches and fat.

augr.jpg

His wife Sheila helping me flip the grill over and can’t wait to try Lake Trout for the first time.

augs.jpg

And my Daughter with the biggest of the season..32 inches long

augt.jpg

augu.jpg

Got my 81 year old mother and older sister out fishing. Have never fished with either of them in my life! Why do we leave this stuff so late in life?

augv.jpg

Sisters big Laker…better than a boat skunk!

augw.jpg

And the highlight of my summer! My 81 year old mother, quad bypass at 66, three aortic anurisms beyond operating size out tubing !

augx.jpg

That is awesome (mom tubing LOL). I had an elderly gentlemen come in the store a couple years ago looking for parts for a 427 big block chevy (it was NASTY too... easy 500hp!). Curious, I asked him what he had this in and he said a flat bottom boat, then proceeded to go grab some pics out of his truck of him standing this thing right up. I was shocked. I asked him how fast he had it and he replied 104mph. I grinned from ear to ear and asked if I could shake his hand. Boy, I hope I'm like that when I'm in my eighties.

81 and tubing..wow

nice pictures, are they from the camera that went in the drink

Yes Terry Canon A570IS

I hope I'm still moving at 81, but hope I'm not the ticking time bomb my mother is afraid that her next step's her last.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks for the comments so far guys! Even got some PM's from a couple of the younger guys thanking me for the inspiration to work hard but enjoy life, and those mean a lot to me.

I bugger off the whole summer now to keep Leah in cleaner air and keep her out of the hospital, but the penalty for me will be 6 or 7 months of 12 to 16 hour days in the shop all fall/winter...as long as I stay of OFC (said that last year didn't I!)