Kijiji

Tjames09

Was wondering what people think is reasonable to offer someone on Kijiji for their boat. For example if someone is asking 20,000 what is a reasonable amount to offer without being a lowball? Theres a few boats ive seen that are pushing 10 years old and I feel they are asking to much. I guess some of it depends on how long its been for sale?

I don't think you can make a generic statement about what percent below asking that your offer should be. In some cases their asking price may be reasonable; in other cases they may be out to lunch.

If you plan to offer significantly below asking, then I would do some research and provide some evidence that their asking price is well above market value. If someone sent an offer that was way below what I was asking, I would probably just ignore them. But, if they sent some links to similar boats or other evidence of what the boat is really worth, I may be a little more open to discussing the issue.

I would say if you are giving them a low price sight unseen

You are low balling. If you go and look at it and offer a low price , you can argue the value.

When I put something on kijiji and someone low balls a price without looking at it. I ignore the offer and anymore correspondence they try having

I would never make an offer without seeing the boat. You can't really tell from a picture. They usually say firm price or Best Offer in their ad, so you know if they are willing to take a lower offer. Make the offer in person.

It's all about how bad you want/need it versus how bad they want/need to sell it. Most of us see haggling over price as distasteful where many parts of the world it is expected and some feel insulted if you don't haggle. If someone wants to be sensitive over an offer that's on them not you.

As long as you can provide a reason for the price you're offering I don't think there should be any issue. I'll often send in low offers, and make sure that I provide evidence to back it up. Sometimes it leads to some negotiation, other times they walk away. No reason for anyone to get offended over that.

On the other hand, if you're one of those guys who's going to lowball because 'thats all the money I can offer' or some lame excuse like that it's a different story and you can just get lost in my opinion.

Do some research and find out what the fair market price is for any item you are going to negotiate for. For a boat go to NADA.com and enter all the info and see they say the boat is worth. You need to know what all the accessories are on the boat. It can get easy to get a boat price up several thousands of dollars on a 10 year or older boat when you start adding up electronics added to the vessel. Price fenders, 4 PFD's, marine fire extinguisher, lines, 200 feet of rope and a new anchor, a flare gun, plus, plus and you could see a bill for 2 grand. If that's all included the same boat could very well be more $$.

Spring is a sellers market for a boat. Fall not so much.

In my years of negotiating deals there is no such thing as a low ball offer, maybe an offer below market value and that all depends whether the seller accepts is how motivated the seller is to get his or her cash or to be rid of the item or property. On a bigger deal I will invest time and money to get a feel for who is selling and why. On one deal I found out the seller had just been transferred to the west coast and had already bought property there with a quick closeing, ball was in my court and a "low ball" offer was quickly accepted.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I find the best way to haggle on price is to show up with cash in hand. The problem with kijiji is there are too many tire kickers. If you have the cash in hand, go have a look for yourself, and then start the haggling. Emailing is only good to make an appt to go for a look IMO.

S.

I find the best way to haggle on price is to show up with cash in hand. The problem with kijiji is there are too many tire kickers. If you have the cash in hand, go have a look for yourself, and then start the haggling. Emailing is only good to make an appt to go for a look IMO.

S.

YUP

I find a lot of the kijiji adds way overpriced considering it is used merhandise.

YUP

I won't sell on Kijiji. Not only tire kickers I have seen Tweekers at a pals place basically scouting the place for nice things available after hours and it was so obvious he called them out on it. They couldn't afford the gas to get to his farm. If I had to sell something it wouldn't be at my home to any Tom, Dick and Harry. If a friend needs something I have they can have it. What's a few hundred bucks going to do for me. I donated a 12 foot inflatable to a member of a different Fishing Forum. A young guy that could use it more than I. I have gotten breaks when I was younger, so I pass it on.

And we are all aware of the tragic story of Tim Bosma selling on Kijiji. Of course that can never happen again.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Listen closely to some of the advice on here because it has years of experience to back it up and it all makes good sense. The one thing you are lacking right now is the experience and that will only come with time.

Right now I think your best bet would be to buy from a dealer, someone that has checked the package out and is prepared to give you a warranty with it. Then, before you buy, check out the dealer, if they have a good reputation then you are probably safe! You might pay a little more buying from a dealer but their prices are negotiable and the piece of mind you'll get might well be worth the extra security.

Bought and sold a few boats on Kijiji myself.

When you buy something new you typically know the circumstances of the sale (i.e. a business selling a new product for a profit)

When you buy something used off kijiji you rarely know the circumstances of the sale - you may have someone who is testing the market and won't take a penny below asking, or you may have someone who has already financed a new boat and is about to miss his first payment if he doesn't sell his old one.

I bought an older 16ft tracker 30hp 4 years ago that was listed on Kijiji for $5000. My first offer was $3000 and we ended up settling on $3500. I would consider $3000 a lowball offer but the seller needed the boat gone so it worked out.

Laws of negotiating would always tell you to open extreme so you leave yourself enough room to negotiate back to your target price. I know I hate this when I'm selling a boat but I do it when buying from Kijiji. Sellers don't like it but it takes 5 seconds to reply to an ad and even less time for the seller to ignore it...no harm done and you just might find the guy who needs it sold yesterday.

Good luck with your boat search.

FF17

thanks for the replies guys. Ive gone to a bunch of dealers, almost all of them had zero used inventory. Anyone suggest any dealers? I went up to Innisfil and further north.

Ive found about 3 boats on Kijiji I wanted to move on, but they've all sold within the first day full asking. One boat sold within the first few hours of posting.

That would indicate that most of what your looking at is appropriately priced given current market conditions. The US dollar has pushed the price of used boats quite high at the moment. What would have been overpriced a couple of years ago is now the going rate, and as you've noticed, anything not ridiculously priced is gone quickly. Kijiji has its flaws, but overall it's one of the best venues to buy and sell that I've been on. You just have to know how to weed through the nonsense, or the guys with big eyes and no money. Try selling on Facebook, all the guys are broke and want everything for peanuts or free. As for buying on Kijiji, if it's well priced and you want it, be prepared to act quickly. I've gotten some smoking deals over the years but I don't negotiate over email, I get a phone number,follow up with a call, see the item and if it's good I've got cash. I will negotiate, but if something I want is well priced I don't haggle too much. If a boat is worth 20k, then you'll probably be told to pound sand if you come in at 17k, and somebody else will get that boat! I bought 2 church's tackle walleye boards and a nearly new tekota 600LC off a guy near me on Kijiji for $200 a few weeks ago. I didnt try to argue his price once I saw the condition of the reel. New Church boards are $50 a piece and a tekota is $260. Add tax to that and his used price was more than fair! Take a look at what it will cost you to buy new and figure out your used price from there. This is also the absolute worst time to buy a boat! Good luck.

Excellent reply porkpie, you know your stuff.

Finding a good boat at great value this time of year is very difficult, I looked for a good year both private and I went to every Marine dealer within 250 miles. There was plenty of junk or not a boat for us. Look at Proctor Marine in Simcoe On. website and give them a call. There will be having their big open house and sale next week I believe. Many trade ins actually this time of year. Call and ask for Doug Hayington and tell them what you are looking for. If they get it in on a trade you will be their first call. They will be saving money marketing it. If they offer a engine warranty demand a leak warranty as well, 2 weeks will all you need because you will know as soon as you splash it. I did the exact thing when I bought a nice used Lund trade in they had in for 2 days and they did all it's service for the life of the boat. I told Doug I know you would never sell me a boat that leaked and if you are positive it won't just put it on paper. I also told Doug I trusted him enough I didn't need to splash it and that would save him at least $100.00 or more in salary as he didn't need to send someone to the lake with me to splash test it when that person could be making him money getting all the boats out of storage. It leaked like a sieve. Long story not Proctors fault. Needless to say they cut me a cheque that day and gave me a $200.00 credit for anything in stock at the store. And he found me a boat within a week. Go to iboats.com and go to the boating forum. There is a sticky at the top of the general boat discussion page. It is a check list of what to look for in a used boat. It will give you a great start for what to look for. On a used boat condition is everything. If it looks trashed on the outside there is a very good chance what you can't see will be as well. I do not enjoy buying As Is but many times it's a must. Buy a previously owned multi million dollar home and you are buying As Is, can't even sleep in it for a night. Do a 20 minute walk through and then plop down your lifes savings.

Good luck James, there's something that right for you out there, don't rush anything. My saying is experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Edited by Old Ironmaker