Do you have a preferred boat brand?

Tjames09

Went to the boat show and feel more overwhelmed with choices now than before. Thought I new what I wanted in a boat but I honestly feel less sure now. I was looking for something simple, a side console, 16 feet and enough power to move around the lake. My wife felt a bit differently and was thinking more friendly to having 4+ people on the boat which increased the budget and different boats, all of which were full walk throughs.

Anyways, there was a few brands that stood out to us, but without a ton of knowledge about boat brands and reputation etc, I feel a bit unsure. We were leaning towards Lund, Lowe and Legend. They all offered a similar boat in a similar price range. All of them had a rear bench foldable, with 60hp motors, trolling motors. It was pretty important for the boat to seat atleast 4 people.

Do you guys prefer one brand over another? Is one brand considered more reliable?

alumacraft...lund quality at a lower price. Plus they are gorgeous

we just got one and its the best boat I have ever been in.

fished a smoker craft...not a fan at all feels flimsy

my starcraft tinner has been bulletproof. 15 years old and looks new to this day.

Yamaha outboards...nothing but problems with mercs

Edited by AKRISONER

I've only got first hand experience with two, Legend and Lund. The Legend was a 15ft widebody and was a fantastic boat (Purchased around 2004 I believe). Very well biult, never leaked a drop and we beat that thing pretty good. Second boat was(is) a Lund 1700 Pro Sport. Handles the big water with ease and for us is the perfect fishing machine. Small enough I can drop it into the lake on even the worst of boat ramps (Or no boat ramp at all), big enough to handle the Great Lakes and Nipigon when they whip up out of the blue. Both boats had the max hp ratings for the hull (40hp 4stroke Honda on the Legend, 115 Yamaha on the Lund, along with a Yami T8 High thrust kicker).

Got to admit I like the looks of those Crestliner boats like the one Charlie Wray runs.

Same with the Princecraft the Fishin' Canada guys run.

My boat has been a really good one as it's now 26 years old.

It's a Fisher and the best thing about it is the lack of wood.

Only the transom core is wood. The floor is all carpeted aluminum.

I agree with the sentiment that an 18 footer will be better for a family of 4.

A walk through with a standup cover will also keep the fam dry and happy.

Have fun with your purchase. :)

Lund, Lowe, Crestliner, & Princecraft are all owned by the Brunswick Corporation who also owns Mercury. I don't think it's impossible but ordering any of these brands with anything other than Merc power is very, very difficult. That said, I have had two Princecrafts both with with Mercs (one 115 Opti and one 150 4 stroke) and have had zero issues with either of them but would probably have bought different engines had I had the choice at the time.

Point is, you don't really have 100% flexibility when mixing and matching brands of boats and motors unless you want to do some customizing especially with controls & wiring harnesses.

Edited by G.mech

My first choice is StarCraft, I have a 21 year old Superfisherman 190 and it is like new, Second would be Lund, The question is like what would you prefer, GM, Ford or Chrysler as well as all the European and imports for Asia? That's a lot of choices. If you ask a boat owner their opinion they will most likely say the boat brand they have is the best.

I have been in most all of the brand boats mentioned here. Pal has a newer Prince Craft and he isn't too happy, small things like the glove box lock broke, carpet lifting in spots. In order to narrow your choices down determine your budget and look what you will get for the money.

I would not buy new, slightly used will save you thousands.

Whatever you do stay away from a Tracker boat, scrap.

I have zero interest in an aluminum boat after being in my brothers Skeeter

it does everything an aluminum boat can do without jarring your fillings loose

saying that I fish mainly big water

Dan

you sir need to take a rip in a lund or alumacraft...80kmh across chop...hardly feel a thing.

I have many of times even owned a pro-v there's absolutely no comparison in ride

I put 100's of hours out in big water each year and a good glass boat (Ranger, Skeeter, Yarcraft, ext.) puts any tin boat to shame

these are all multi species ie. Ranger 620, Skeeter WX series

Dan

you sir need to take a rip in a lund or alumacraft...80kmh across chop...hardly feel a thing.

Have you even been in a glass boat? Only reason I ask is because if you have, you would know there is no comparison with glass and aluminum on big/rough water.

Sure, some aluminums rice nice, but not like glass.

I have had the same 16ft widebody starcraft since '93. Doesn't leak a drop and I beat the hell out of it. I duck hunt and fish from it, so it sees a ton of abuse. Still going strong. I will probably have it until the day I die, then my son will abuse it some more. I'm thinking I may upgrade my engine this year to a new yammy 40 tiller, but for now I have a yamaha built mariner 40hp tiller which has also been bullet proof.

I have been in many Lunds similar to mine, and the lunds do ride nicer in rough water, and they are a bit dryer for a tiller.

One thing for sure, if you plan to have 4 ppl in your boat with a full walk through, you are going to want more power than a 60hp. At least a 90, and make sure to max out the HP rating on the boat. It does make a huge difference in handling, especially in tight quarters, and rough water.

I really like the looks and layouts of the alumacrafts, but i haven't been in one on the water.

IMO, a deep and wide 16ft boat is the most versitile rig there is. You can do a lot with a 16footer from big water to small water, easy to tow, easy to maintain, and very fishable.

S.

Edited by Sinker

Aluminum boats come in riveted and welded

The better boats have double bottoms and ridged "I" beams beneath the floors rather than ribs.

Ribbed boats will end up leaking sooner down the road.

I have a Lund now for 10 yrs. no problems.

My last boat was an entry level ribbed boat. Leaked badly after 10 yrs.

Met a CO on Nipissing a few years ago with a Crestliner. Welded. That's big water and he said they beat the crap out of it. No leaks.

Bigger the boat the better.

More HP needed and harder to tow and store.

Big decisions.

Watch Kijiji

Yeah, you really can't compare a glass boat vs alum for ride quality. It's a whole other level.

Glass is in a different category all together and is far superior to the ride of aluminum in any kind of water.

Bang on information. Aluminum has it's advantages over glass but ride isn't one of them.

Bang on information. Aluminum has it's advantages over glass but ride isn't one of them.

Correct, glass is quite a bit heavier so it gives you a smoother ride.

Aluminium on the other hand being lighter you need less motor for the same kind of performance, is easier on gas and towing.

And the big one for me is the ability to beach it in shield country without chewing the crap out of the bottom. ;)

Have you even been in a glass boat? Only reason I ask is because if you have, you would know there is no comparison with glass and aluminum on big/rough water.

been riding in a 93 glasstron nearly my entire life.

maybe im just biased because i havent rode in a lund or alumacraft under 18feet long?

my only experience under 18 was in a smoker...and that thing is terrible.

the ride comparison to me is not that substantial enough to overcome the peace of mind that an aluminum can clip a rock and not sink.

Most lakes are rocky around here unless you are south or east.

Edited by AKRISONER

been riding in a 93 glasstron nearly my entire life.

maybe im just biased because i havent rode in a lund or alumacraft under 18feet long?

my only experience under 18 was in a smoker...and that thing is terrible.

the ride comparison to me is not that substantial enough to overcome the peace of mind that an aluminum can clip a rock and not sink.

Most lakes are rocky around here unless you are south or east.

I think we're talking apples and oranges here if a 1993 Glasstron is the comparison boat. And as for clipping a rock and sinking?... you could chainsaw a hole through the bottom of my Ranger or a Skeeter and it's not going to sink. I understand like all of us, your knowledge is based on experience, but the glass boats built specifically for fishing are incredible. If you get a chance to get out in one, take it.

One other thing to look at between the aluminum walkthroughs is the windshield location. Some have a much larger foredeck and smaller cockpit than others and one may suit your needs better than the other. There is a huge difference between many of the brands once you get looking at them.

As far as glass vs aluminum, they are different animals in almost every way including the price tags. I don't think the OP is in the market for a new Ranger just now but dreaming is always free!

Edited by G.mech