Coyote or wolf track ?

lew

We had a fresh snowfall yesterday and this morning while wandering around the back yard I came across the tracks of several different animals but these ones got my attention because of their size.

Definitely canine but they're huge at about 5" long including the claws and 4" wide.

There's coyotes around here but not many and I'm thinking these could be wolf tracks but I'm just curious as to what others may think.

I had a critter on my front lawn a couple years back about the size of a German Shepard that I'm absolutely sure was a wolf.

FWIW I'm 3 miles south of Burliegh Falls

These are pictures of 3 different tracks to give you an idea.

003_1.jpg

004_2.jpg

005_3.jpg

Edited by lew

I would say Coyote.

I think a wolf tracks is about as wide as it is long. Those are elongated, which would make me think Coyote or a stray dog.

I read a similar thing Nick, but then as jimmer suggests they seem to be too big for a coyote or even a large dog.

Leaning towards dog or wolf and away from coyote for what that's worth. The pattern and path taken can also help with identifying as well. Wild animals are moving with a purpose, for the most part, while domestic ones have the luxury of wandering much more aimlessly. These apply generally of course but it does help sometime when you're trying to pice things together.

Leaning towards dog or wolf and away from coyote for what that's worth. The pattern and path taken can also help with identifying as well. Wild animals are moving with a purpose, for the most part, while domestic ones have the luxury of wandering much more aimlessly. These apply generally of course but it does help sometime when you're trying to pice things together.

There's a trail that winds through the woods behind me Rob that goes about 1/2 a mile out to the hwy and this fella followed it without veering away. Nice easy walk for anything and I spose he was taking advantage of not having to step around things.

He definitely appears to have had a destination rather than just meandering

There was also fresh deer tracks on the trail basically parallel to the others but I don't know who was there 1st and he eventually wandered off into the trees.

Anyhoo, whatever the critter was it's good to have the fresh snow and see all the activity that goes on after the sun goes down.

Best sighting I've had so far though was this big ole bear that was sleeping in the yard when I wandered out on the back deck one morning.

318a5ba3-51a1-4a7e-a1e7-2d4a2d019f74.jpg

Edited by lew

There's a trail that winds through the woods behind me Rob that goes about 1/2 a mile out to the hwy and this fella followed it without veering away. Nice easy walk for anything and I spose he was taking advantage of not having to step around things.

There was also fresh deer tracks on the trail basically parallel to the others but I don't know who was there 1st and he eventually wandered off into the trees.

Anyhoo, whatever the critter was it's good to have the fresh snow and see all the activity that goes on after the sun goes down.

Best sighting I've had so far though was this big ole bear that was sleeping in the yard when I wandered out on the back deck one morning.

A dog would likely wander from side to side on a trail like that and, on occasion, off of it unless it was on a leash and there are human foot prints paralleling them.

It's hard to tell the actual size from those prints. Snow always makes prints look larger because of the way snow recedes or puffs out during the entry and exit. Especially in snow deeper than 1-2 inches. The same animal will look different on snow versus dirt/mud. In this case, at best you'd have to measure down in the bottom with a pad to pad measurement and allow for some natural melt back. Any idea how old the prints are? If they're fresh...under a couple hours max, the fact it compressed the snow down to the fallen leaves indicates a heavy animal. If they from the previous day, the temperature would have played a part in that, and the size. It certainly looks like a large animal though.

Any idea how old the prints are?

We got 5-6 inches of snow yesterday so those tracks were made last night sometime....or early this morning. It was mild over night and above freezing today so there was certainly some snow melt.

with all the animals stopping by in your backyard, it would be nice if you had a trail camera and shared the photos with /quote]

+1

I think you would be amazed at the stuff passing through in the middle of the night. Great fun.

http://www.wildlifelandtrust.org/wildlife/diy-activities/how-to-identify-coyote-tracks.html

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Gray-Wolf/Identification

If it's any help, we have coyotes in my area, they can be heard at night, but I have yet to see one. A couple have been hit by cars and reported and collected.

Yup, definitely possible to be a big dog but as far as I know there aren't any large ones around here. We're well off the hwy and if it was a dog he would have walked a long ways thru the woods to get here.

318a5ba3-51a1-4a7e-a1e7-2d4a2d019f74.jpg

This is how TJames...

How can anyone tell whether these tracks are roaming side to side based on single paw print pictures? lol

Actually there were 100's of footprints along the narrow trail and I followed them for probably 1/4 mile and they were definitely sticking to the easy path rather than wandering into the heavy cover.