Lund WC/Princecraft Yukon/Legend Widebody - for my 9.9HP tiller

Tjames09

Looking to get a 14' aluminum utility boat next year, and these 3 seem to all be comparable. They are all 14'x68" (or in and about). They range from 240lbs-285lbs, and all offer the split rear seat, with some storage.

None of these boats are anything fancy and are all about the same price near $4000 for a new one. I already have a new 9.9HP and trying to utilize this for a new hull.

You might get 15mph with one guy in the boat and limited gear. I could run give or take 24mph with 2 and gear in the boat with a 20hp, 18-19 with 2 in the boat with a 15, but it was a bit anemic on a Starcraft 14 that was as the same hull weight and interior design. Very similar to the boats your looking at. The only motor that really made the boat shine with 2 guys was the 20, hence the reason I upgraded. If I where you I'd look at their lighter duty 14's for that 9.9. Just a thought, but I've been there and I don't know that you'll be happy performance wise. As for brand, any that you've mentioned are decent in the utility market!

all offer the split rear seat,

Split rear seat is nice but if you can get a split center seat as well it'll make your day on the water much more enjoyable. Gives you much more room and makes moving around the boat FAR easier without having to climb over that center seat all the time.

If the open concept is beyond your budget maybe worth your while looking at a slightly used boat with the option.

Just a thought though.

You might get 15mph with one guy in the boat and limited gear. I could run give or take 24mph with 2 and gear in the boat with a 20hp, 18-19 with 2 in the boat with a 15, but it was a bit anemic on a Starcraft 14 that was as the same hull weight and interior design. Very similar to the boats your looking at. The only motor that really made the boat shine with 2 guys was the 20, hence the reason I upgraded. If I where you I'd look at their lighter duty 14's for that 9.9. Just a thought, but I've been there and I don't know that you'll be happy performance wise. As for brand, any that you've mentioned are decent in the utility market!

Which 14's are lighter? I thought I was looking at the most entry level stuff offered.

My brother has the 14' Legend widebody, he has a 2-stroke 9.9 Merc on it. Great little boat but would be much better with a 20+ HP. It's rated up to 30 if I am correct. Not sure about current models but his does not really have a front 'nose area' for mounting a trolling motor - something to consider. I'm sure you could rig something up however. (Search back and find the post that Moosebunk did this year on pimping out a barebones 14')

Pete

P.s. Sell the 9.9, and buy this sweet little ride posted here in the classifieds!!!

Edited by Fisherpete

Looked at those boats this past spring plus Alumacrafts V14 and the StarCraft 14. All quite similar really and would have been happy with any of them.

Chose the Alumacraft I did because it had flooring installed when all others didn't, and came in the cheapest by $500 - $1200.

The 9.9 will do it but you'll wanna keep the boat basically bare boned, especially if two on board. Kesagami Lake had 14 foot Nadens of similar specs to all these choices and those had 9.9's. Big winds some days and waves and they'd still get up on plane and rip enough.

On our recent outpost trip the camp haad 4 Lund WC14s with 9.9s and one older Lund a 14 with a 9.9

No boats had floors. WC 14s were very sturdy and ran fast enough for a small lake not sure about making bigger runs on a kawartha lake

The a was not a sturdy but noticably quicker. We helped oull the boats up dry and the a was much lighter

For fishing comfort found the split seat in the back and wider frame made the wc 14s the preferred boat for our group but again small lake 5 miles long maybe a mile wide

Gordy

Edited by gordy28

I have an older Sylvan Sport Troller 14 footer. It has the open floor and a 2 stroke 30 hp Yamaha on it. With two guys and all the gear I go 27 mph. With only me I can go to 29 mph. It was a beater when I got it and after replacing about 200 rivets it now doesn't leak. Only cost 3500 for the whole package

as a point of reference i am running a starcraft 14 with a 15 suzuki.

With casting deck, battery, electric bow mount troller, rods and tackle box, gas, safety kit, paddles and anchor plus myself at 180lbs I can do about 29kmh

but throw a 200lb buddy in the boat and you drop down to 21kmh and she feels heavy, boat into a headwind and you are now topped out at 19kmh

If you are going with a 9.9 you are going to want to keep things bare boned. They get weighed down very easily and with a 9.9 you might be feeling like you are doing more pushing than moving.

Edited by AKRISONER

Just my perspective but I look at this from a different angle. I focus on the boat and not the motor...meaning I hate fishing out of a boat that is tippy, uncomfortable, lacks storage. I'd rather find a used older boat in the 16'+ range than a buy a new 12 footer just so it fits my 9.9. If I fished small cottage lakes mainly I'd still have a 16-18 foot boat. I can fish longer and be more comfortable. And if you do want to venture out to a larger lake, you have options. Just my opinion.

P.s. Sell the 9.9, and buy this sweet little ride posted here in the classifieds!!!

I like that idea Pete :) I'd be willing to figure something out and I'd keep the 20 to sell separate. But not sure if it'd plane out with a 9.9.

Edited by Spooled

I can consider selling the 9.9, feels like a shame, bought it new last year, and it runs really nicely. Just wanted a bigger hull.

I got the 9.9 because of being budget conscious but I should have just gone for a 20 hp from the beginning ... I can't load the boat or put in a floor because the 9.9 just bogs down ... Like I mentioned before , for bigger water it makes all the difference

Go for the bigger motor...

I can consider selling the 9.9, feels like a shame, bought it new last year, and it runs really nicely. Just wanted a bigger hull.

Think of what you are going to be happy doing long term, you don't want to be up grading every couple of years, it gets expensive! You can spend the money on boats and motors or spend it fishing more often?

I would also consider selling the 9.9 and buying a bigger used boat. If you plan to use it a lot, and have the budget for new, you should really consider something a few years old, but bigger. A 16ft deep and wide tiller is a very nice all around versatile boat that isn't too pricey. Finding one is the hard part. For the price of a new 9.9 and new 14ft tinny, you should be able to find an older used 16 footer. Its a much better boat.

That said, a used 14 footer would save you a bunch of coin too.

I don't like new stuff. Its just a waste of money. I buy everything used but good condition. With a bare 14ft hull, you should be able to find something easily, and it will be much cheaper than brand new. An old hull with a new engine would be a great rig.

S.