Hunting Bear with a spear gets some backlash

chris.brock

I read about this in the Star today.

I guess it's legal in Alberta, not here in Ontario. The actual bear wasn't nearly as big as the one in the photo they used for this article.

It's not my cup of tea, but I guess he made a good throw, no different than a bow hunt. I wouldn't have felt at all bad for the guy though if the spear bounced off the bear's shoulder blade and then it mauled him to death.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/16/alberta-spear-hunting-ban-bear-youtube-video

well its not my way to hunt

but if its legal screw the tree huggers

I remember p3ta types saying yeah right killing animals with high powered guns and you call it a sport

the animal doesnt have a sporting chance

well spear hunting sure gives them a sporting chance

I wish they would make up their minds

Looks as if the government in Alberta is going to outlaw hunting with a spear.. I think there's too much room for error myself.. with a bow you can hit the same 3 inch spot consistently from 30 yards, try that with a spear ... Celebrating excessively shows little respect for the animal..

For sure. Alberta has it right. When somebody does something totally legal and posts it on social media and a bunch of people are offended you have to automatically make it illegal.

I saw the video. He had a good weapon, knew how to use it and made a clean kill, legally

No different than an arrow and no different than any hunting show.

I'm pretty sure this guy is a competitive javelin thrower, and body builder. Obviously dedicated to his sports and his hunting. If anyone out there is capable of "ethically" spear hunting, it would be this guy.

Any anyone who has had a successful hunt know the exhilarating feeling when you hit your mark. Every hunter on TV gets excited about their kill, and they don't get flamed for it.

I've watch many spear hunts for bear on Wild TV, most from a tree stand though. The only difference here, is the Go pro he mounted to the spear. That was a little to much for some people. And the fact that he let the bear die alone and came back the next day, which is also a very common practice. Rarely do hunters get flamed for letting their quarry lay overnight to be sure they are dead. I think they actually teach you to do that in the hunters education coarse.

It's ridiculous that Alberta is considering banning spear hunting because of this video.

Edited by N.A.W

Our cave man brothers used spears.

Our first nation used spears.

Its just back to basic hunting.. As long as the meat is eaten, hide is used etc go nuts.

Some of the comments I have seen from overseas relatives is leave the bears alone, let them be etc. Oh the horror

Wonder how long a bear would last roaming around Europe :dunno:

I don't have any issue with someone wanting to use a gun, bow, spear or ballpoint pen to hunt with. I have issue with putting it on social media. What does anyone really expect the reaction to be??? If I found a wounded bird and dispatched it for humane reasons and posted it online, I'd have a bunch of whack jobs freaking out because it should have been taken to Sick Kids for treatment.

Go about your business and follow the law. Don't think that rubbing a tree huggers nose in the fact you harvested an animal will result in anything positive. If anything, our powers at be will modify the rules to satisfy the masses and you're hobby will be gone.

It should be abundantly clear by now that the anti movement has far more political sway than hunters do, this guy was foolish to post his video in the edited format it is (ie: gory images, perceived lack of dignity in his celebration), without expecting recourse against the hunting community. Legal is legal and I fully support his hunt, I believe it was an ethical kill, but not everything needs to be plastered on facebook and delivered on a silver plate to the masses that don't understand the act of hunting...

But why does the anti crowd have so much more leverage than hunters? I firmly believe that hunters are our own worst enemy, more often than not hunters are divided under anti backfire, a tactic the anti's surely realize when they choose to launch these smear campaigns. Even the UK journalist recognized this in his hack job article. Not so much this thread, but on some of the western forums the amount of hunters judging this guy is just sad. We should understand and respect each other's differences and stand together against the anti movements and petition the governments equally strong from our end to not cave into anti demands....rather than constantly giving up inches, until we lose the proverbial mile.

Anti's hate hunters, and fisherman too, just look at that P3TA video on C&R fishing that's been circling lately. All outdoorsman should realize that just because the anti's aren't directly attacking them at this very moment, every little anti victory is paving the pathway to when they do attack whatever it is you love to do....traditional archery, C&R fishing, etc

I consider myself fortunate that I am old enough to have had the opportunity to hunt wild game, I seriously question if hunting will still exist in another 100 years.

It was a very poor decision to post the video online, unfortunate that things ended this way. Extremely impressive hunt though!

POOR ????

Sorry, but there no grounds for this.

It,s the WWW and like said, it,s the huggers that have the issues here.

It was a man VS beast with a spear. He nailed it. Grats to him.

Theres so many people messed up about this stuff. His rights, our rights, thier rights.

I know what my RIGHTS ARE.

Why do poeple feel the need to keep changing, OUR rights?

POOR ????

Theres so many people messed up about this stuff. His rights, our rights, thier rights.

Bullseye!

As others said, it was legal! Fair and square.

As for the "victory dance", I could only find one video shy of two minutes, but from what I saw, it's no different than any hunter/fisherman on TV after scoring a trophy kill/catch.

Kudos to him. Doesn't bother me one bit. I was actually impressed by it.

POOR ????

I agree with you Brian but to answer your question, your RIGHTS are yours because someone allows you the right. The right to hunt with a spear can disappear in blink. You drive a vehicle...not a right. They even have control over how you drive it. The reality is people get all puffed up about their rights when in fact it's a fragile bubble that can be burst at any time. Fishing? you have a licence in your pocket...not a right! Just saying.

Well said Grimsby. Many died for our rights and too many take them for granted. I am from a generation that some had relatives even parents and grand parents die fighting for our rights. Mom lost a 18 year old brother in WW2 and a younger brother early in Viet Nam. Our Grand kids can't say the same so there in the personal nature of the sacrifices are lost.