Cormorants

jimmer

They sure present a hazard boating too. I was going out almost WOT and saw a line of them coming from the left about a mile out. Well I figured at my speed they would be clear by the time I got there at 30 some odd MPH. No way, that flock flying at just about head height had to be a mile long or more, how many is that, lots! I went to the left and slowed right down to let them pass. A cormorant in the yap at 30 MPH is going to leave a mark. I am all for an open season on them. I don't know what purpose they serve in Mother Natures business plan. Why are they a protected species? I don't get it, anyone have an answer?

A story I read some time back. There's 2 guys on a water rocket Ranger. The guy thought it might be fun to run through a flock at WOT with his 300 horse. The helmets went on and he plowed through them. A broken wind shield, smashed gunnels, dent in the hull, scratches in the paint and a smashed face shield and strained neck latter the experiment didn't work out well. Stupid human tricks and Darwin Award winner. And he told the story!

I like this statement at the end of said article

"There's much consternation about getting the policy right in relation to these birds," says Ridgway. "It's the first case where we've gone from having an organism that's a rarity to having a management issue [with a large number of birds]. No one's confronted this before."

Guess they don't remember the low numbers of the Giant Canada Goose, Branta Canadensis Maxima in the 60's , early seventies. Waterfowl hunting at Long Point they were protected then, because of the work of Lee Brown trying to get them re-established. Now we got extra seasons and bag limits just to keep them in check.

A recent trip to Couchiching and this was quite a site. At least they limited their destruction to one island.

http://vid1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/jimmer5/M4H00786.mp4

There was a small island in Sandusky Bay in Lake Erie across from the city boat ramp that was looking like that, 13 years ago, I can imagine it now.

Just a theory of mine, but, a reason for their increase is the increased water clarity from the filtering zebra mussels as they are sight feeders. In the sixties you were lucky to see your toes standing waist deep in Lake Erie, today you can often see bottom in 20 feet or more of water. Well that and no DDT making the eggs fragile.

Are double-crested cormorants protected in the U.S.? Double-crested cormorants are one of approximately 800 species protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, and subsequent amendments. This act was first passed to implement the terms of a treaty between the U.S. and Canada for the protection of migratory birds. Excessive market hunting of migratory birds prompted this treaty, which was later followed by treaties with Mexico, Japan, and Russia. Double-crested cormorants were first protected by U.S. law in 1972 through an amendment to the Mexican treaty. Double-crested cormorants may not be injured or killed, and nests with eggs/chicks may not be taken according to Federal and most State laws, unless specifically authorized.

Are double-crested cormorants protected in the U.S.? Double-crested cormorants are one of approximately 800 species protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, and subsequent amendments. This act was first passed to implement the terms of a treaty between the U.S. and Canada for the protection of migratory birds. Excessive market hunting of migratory birds prompted this treaty, which was later followed by treaties with Mexico, Japan, and Russia. Double-crested cormorants were first protected by U.S. law in 1972 through an amendment to the Mexican treaty. Double-crested cormorants may not be injured or killed, and nests with eggs/chicks may not be taken according to Federal and most State laws, unless specifically authorized.

I had checked into that a while back. From what I found; they are not included in the migratory protection act.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/midwestbird/documents/dccofactsheet2008.pdf

US fish and wildlife on cormorants.

A good point on water clarity and cormorants, Sandusky Bay is the largest spawning area for fish on this side of the lake. My dad started taking us there when we were 5 to fish, you didn't see cormorants there back then, and it was rare to see the bottom, even in very shallow water.

The Sandusky river, which is the main river feeding the bay is also home to a spring walleye run, same with white bass, and the bay itself is one of the few places to have a chance at catching northern pike here in the early spring.

I believe they are protected.......where did you see they are not........hoping you are correct.

There is something in here about them not being protected in article 1. There may be other sections of the act that cover them though

https://ec.gc.ca/nature/default.asp?lang=En&n=496E2702-1

Families not included in Article I of the Migratory Birds Convention

The following list presents the families of birds not named in Article I of the Convention, but whose member species occur in Canada (including accidental, exotic, undetermined and extirpated status from Wild Species 2010). These families and their species are not protected under the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 but may be protected under provincial or territorial legislation or other federal conventions.

• Accipitridae (osprey, kite, eagles, harrier, hawks)
  • Alcedinidae (kingfisher)
  • Anhingidae (anhinga)
  • Aramidae (limpkin)
  • Cathartidae (vultures)
  • Corvidae (jays, crows and ravens)
  • Falconidae (caracara, falcons)
  • Fregatidae (frigatebirds)
  • Odontophoridae (quail)
  • Passeridae (weaver finches)
  • Pelecanidae (pelicans)
  • Phaethontidae (tropicbirds)
  • Phalacrocoracidae (cormorants)
  • Phasianidae (partridges, pheasants, grouse, ptarmigan, sage-grouse, prairie-chicken, turkey)
  • Phoenicopteridae (flamingo)
  • Prunellidae (accentor)
  • Ptilogonatidae (silky-flycatcher)
  • Strigidae (owls)
  • Sturnidae (starlings, mynas)
  • Tytonidae (barn owl)
Edited by JohnBacon

Maybe there is some kind of controll going on that we are not aware of. This year and the last, I have personnaly noticed the numbers down here on lake Simcoe. I have not seen the large flocks like in the past. I see 1 or 2 at a time. I can remember seeing 100,s fly in a group. And man did they stink.