Ontario to spend $7-billion on sweeping climate change plan

fishnsled

I had a dream too. Mine was that this country was ruined by the thieves and the young people couldn't get a good job.

If my dream comes true then canada will have fixed its climate change problem.

Well said.

Edited by muddler

Sarah Palin makes the same argument. :) Bill Nye the science guy responds intelligently.

Sarah says why should we worry about the weather in 5000 years. Climate change is changing this world right now.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3151&cm_ven=FB_BLOG_LB_100915_3

Edited by scuro2

Sarah Palin makes the same argument. :) Bill Nye the science guy responds intelligently.

Sarah says why should we worry about the weather in 5000 years. Climate change is changing this world right now.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3151&cm_ven=FB_BLOG_LB_100915_3

Sarah Palin is a joke and it's embarrassing that a response from Bill Nye was even warranted. My trust is with scientists that devoted their lifetime to studying the planet, not some lunatic with a communications and journalism degree.

There is no debate, climate change is real, it's caused by humans. Even here in Ontario lakes are becoming more acidic which means I catch less fish!!!

I like Nasa's climate change website; http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

Edited by Sterling

Sarah Palin is a joke and it's embarrassing that a response from Bill Nye was even warranted. My trust is with scientists that devoted their lifetime to studying the planet, not some lunatic with a communications and journalism degree.

There is no debate, climate change is real, it's caused by humans. Even here in Ontario lakes are becoming more acidic which means I catch less fish!!!

I like Nasa's climate change website; http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

I thought we took care of the acid rain problem...is this something new?

I thought we took care of the acid rain problem...is this something new?

Oldest problem in the book. Acid rain was a huge problem in the 60s and 70s, wiping out fish populations from lakes north and south. Dramatically improved though. But the problem still exists which is why the MNR routinely limes lakes.

My father in law did sampling for the MNR for 30 years, what they found is that there is a direct relationship between water pH and larvae maturation. It's a tough problem to diagnose and fix, especially for more remote lakes.

These liberal politicians make me sick.

Global warming is undeniable. Scientist pretty much universally believe this to be a real issue. By believing otherwise, you are allowing big companies, such as Exxon, to manipulate you. They are wealthy and powerful lobbyists and we are an easy target as change is hard for humans.

Having said that - this plan seems a little rash/aggressive to me. And I am sure there number one plan to get us to use less fossil fuels will involving adding more taxes.

You are clearly drinking the cool aid in Quebec :)

Edited by Lifeisfun

I'm sooo embarrassed to say I live in this province.

When I travel both in Canada & outside the country I tell people I live 3 hours from Winnipeg.

If I do admit to be from Ontario I make it very clear I am very far from the GTA.

There is no way I want to be included with that liberal voting bunch of clowns.

Actually the GTA votes Conservative. The last couple of mayors and current one are conservative. All the GTA surrounding Toronto (Richmond Hill, Oshawa etc...are conservative as well.) Conservative Rob Ford's crack smoking, drunk follies made politics fun.

Make sure to vote for Rona Ambrose federally she is dressed and ready to whip things in Canada into shape...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/3926074/thumbs/o-RONA-AMBROSE-570.jpg?13

Actually the GTA votes Conservative. The last couple of mayors and current one are conservative. All the GTA surrounding Toronto (Richmond Hill, Oshawa etc...are conservative as well.) Conservative Rob Ford's crack smoking, drunk follies made politics fun.

Make sure to vote for Rona Ambrose federally she is dressed and ready to whip things in Canada into shape...

I would let her whip me any day

Lol I pray she doesn't get in ever, typical conservative agenda, and with the mind of a woman compounds it, she was the minister for the status of women, and she voted to criminalize abortions as well as riding the "weed will kill you" train. Edited by Lucas F

Glad you were able to instill some fishing content into this thread!

Hh

Whether global warming/ climate change is real or not, the Liberals are using it as an excuse to pull more dollars out of my already holey pockets.

The job of government is to tackle the major problems of our day for the common good. Global Warming is such an issue.

If the concept of the common good is hard to swallow then the only other option would be to become a bunch of autocratic libertarians, each declaring the republic of me with the limits of our individual property lines. Border checkpoints at the end of our driveways and barbwire are optional. :)

The current mayor and the last one are/were Conservative; (the current one would be considered to be a 'Red Tory'). The mayor before that was NDP. The four recent terms (including the current one) are split two each for Conservative and NDP.

At the federal and provincial level; the GTA definetly does not vote Conservative. The GTA is a Liberal stronghold with the NDP also doing well in many parts of Toronto. There is not a lot of blue in the GTA.

The job of government is to tackle the major problems of our day for the common good. Global Warming is such an issue.

If the concept of the common good is hard to swallow then the only other option would be to become a bunch of autocratic libertarians, each declaring the republic of me with the limits of our individual property lines. Border checkpoints at the end of our driveways and barbwire are optional. :)

Well, my pockets are only so deep and this government can't even tackle the provincial issues. The liberals might be working for the liberal good, not sure about everyone else. My family does it's part, but I might look into the barbwire.

See how I added a fishing term into the first line.

Edited by jimmer

http://abcnews.go.com/US/water-levels-lake-mead-reach-record-lows/story?id=39235749

" The water levels in Lake Mead, the man-made reservoir that serves about 20 million residents in Nevada, Arizona and California, is at an all-time low, according to the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation. "

Who thought promoting millions of people to move into an area that was mostly desert was a good plan? The profits have been made, the taxpayers get the bill?

As we all sit in our carcinogenic energy wasting houses drinking our Starbuck (Timmy Horton) styrofoam wrapped coffee using our electric sucking appliances to cast rocks at each other over who is killing the planet. YES I am guilty as all of you on consumption seems the height of Hippocratic. If you feel that you are wasteful or harming the environment then do YOUR part fix what YOU are doing then preach the answer that is how issues are solved the old saying "do as I say not as I do" solves nothing in almost all cases.

Art

201604-percentiles.jpg

Meanwhile on the climate change front we have the 12th month in a row with a record high global temperatures

....https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/april-2016-earths-12th-consecutive-warmest-month-on-record

And this is proof of exactly what?

Those $7B will do nothing to change any of that.

Edited by Lifeisfun

And this is proof of exactly what?

Those $7B will do nothing to change any of that.

That is a good argument. What does one month of record extreme high temperatures prove in the last 150 years? Nothing. How about 12 such months in a row, and counting, plus many other extreme anomalies occurring at the same time? Then one can safely deduct that it is highly probable that this is not natural variance and that something is influencing outcomes. This is what the climate scientists have done. This is their conclusion. 97% of them believe what we are seeing is caused by us.

You are also right $7B will not change the path of what looks to be the beginning of an exponential curve to extreme climate. At best 7B$ will flatten the curve a little bit.

Scientists have also predicted outcomes based on this information and frankly speaking what they predict will happen in our lifetime is alarming. As a government, when do you start to act on what is predicted to be a world wide catastrophe? I would say now because although one can't predict with certainty what will happen, you don't want to play the odds when there is a good chance that the world as we know it will be permanently altered to a point that we won't recognize it.

Do we really want to be, "penny wise and pound foolish".

Here is a question for you. That 7 b dollars you mentioned. Have you calculated what that works out to be per year? Is that 7B$ to be funded over many years?

Edited by scuro2

The problem is how to get the worst offenders (India, China etc) to do their part.

Any amount we could possibly cut back with that $7B will be increased due to growth in those areas of the world 10 fold.

​Thus Canada would just be wasting money as it may only delay the inevitable by a negligible amount.

But all the Libs will feel good about themselves saving the planet. :whistling: