Ontario to spend $7-billion on sweeping climate change plan

fishnsled

One acre of trees consumes 2.6 tons of carbon dioxide per year.

One tree can produce a days supply of oxygen for 4 people.

We have a 36 unit wind farm here that caused the total destruction of at least 100 acres of trees per windmill.

Thats plus access roads that amounts to another 100 acres per windmill.

How much carbon dioxide does a windmill save when we dump 80% of the power produced.

How much carbon dioxide did it produce in the manufacturing and construction of each windmill.

I am hearing arguments lately that Canada actually consumes more CO2 than it produces

I would like to see a few calculations before I believe this Premier is actually saving the planet.

Edited by Dara

On the bright side, we are now approximately half way through Winnie's mandate... and she has promised to run again! :wallbash:

HH

On the negative side , urban Ontario gave her a majourity after the McGuilty years and then turned around and did the same thing federally :wallbash:

If Manitoba wasn't so far away, I'd be gone.

hope you like taxes (yes i think about manitoba too but below kinda turns me off)

Ontario

5.05% on the first $41,536 of taxable income, +

9.15% on the next $41,539, +

11.16% on the next $66,925, +

12.16% on the next $70,000, +

13.16 % on the amount over $220,000

Manitoba 10.8% on the first $31,000 of taxable income, +

12.75% on the next $36,000, +

17.4% on the amount over $67,000

that's 4700 (ON) vs 8450 (MB) provincial tax bill for someone earning 70k.

Edited by Raf

Sorry but none of the data means anything to me. The earth heats and cools

The affects of man is unknown.

Also I'm all for canada to have warmer winters.

Ive been saying this all along.

Data is useless in this case. You need to go back thousands if not 100s of thousands of years

Data is useless in this case. You need to go back thousands if not 100s of thousands of years

you only have to go back 15 minutes if you want your name in history and the premier that saved the planet

Exactly, they have documented a Medieval Warm Period from 1000 to 1400 AD and what is referred to as the Little Ice Age from 1400 to 1900 AD, so we are in a warming period again, going to happen and we can not change it, just how much we are are contributing is pure speculation, maybe in a few hundred years they will be able to say we screwed up or they will refer to us as the "Chicken Little " generation.

Exactly, they have documented a Medieval Warm Period from 1000 to 1400 AD and what is referred to as the Little Ice Age from 1400 to 1900 AD, so we are in a warming period again, going to happen and we can not change it, just how much we are are contributing is pure speculation, maybe in a few hundred years they will be able to say we screwed up or they will refer to us as the "Chicken Little " generation.

Allow me to play devil's advocate here.

We have observed a depletion of the ozone, and determined that Freon was a major contributor. Was that speculation? Similarly, I don't believe that since we don't have one thousand years of temperature records we should just ignore the records we do have. More data is never a bad thing.

We know that if you close yourself in a garage with a running car, you will die. And yet millions of cars pour emissions into the environment every day. Regardless of whether or not these emissions are changing the climate, we know they are poisonous. Shouldn't we be using technology to reduce pollution whether the "chicken little's" are right or not?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they'd go electric as soon as they make an electric pickup that can tow his boat to the cottage. Fair enough. We have electric vehicles that can tow much more than gas trucks already. They're called trains. The reason we don't have electric pickups is due to battery limitations.

There are those who will reply to me that as soon as there's a profit in it, industry will come along to fill a need. I generally don't disagree with that kind of thinking. But in this case, industry can make more money by poisoning us. That is why our government should use policy to guide the stakeholders (industry and citizens) towards a mutually sustainable society. That may mean subsidies, it may mean prohibitions. There's a lot of discussion to be had. But right now there's a well financed lobby trying not to have the discussion at all.

Finally, I'm not as old as some of you fellas, but I'm 45 years old and the Wynne Liberals are the most corrupt government I can recall in my lifetime. They are not the people to implement anything, let alone something this important. Further, they are idealists who make decision based on belief.

We need realists, not idealists. Because if we don't fix this, it will eventually catch up to us. Maybe not soon, maybe not for 20 or 50 generations. No one really knows. But I do know you can't mix poison in our air forever and not pay the piper someday.

Edited by Dutch01

Right on Dara.

I don't know how but I expect wynne to get in again.

This post probably made the keenest observation of the last batch.

Indirectly I'm defending Wynne by making the case that climate change exists. I don't like that position.

If you are a denier those around you don't like being put in that position either. When the obvious is denied because of willful ignorance or politics you get polarization, those you try to influence don't vote like you.

There have been awesome Conservatives and I have voted for them. I am fiscally conservative by nature yet the recent Ontario and Federal Conservative parties have chosen leaders who have been catering to Commonsensers and these leaders have sucked.

Frankly I think Climate Change to be such an important issue that I have just voting Green party and will continue to do so until there is concrete change. I voted like that back with Reform when our deficits were at crisis levels.

Edited by scuro2

203_co2-graph-021116.jpeg

http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

LO AND BEHOLD A GRAPH THAT GOES BACK MORE THEN A THOUSAND YEARS

From Nasa,.those conspiracy hungry, money loving government stooges. Why do they keep on making graphs of nothing!?!?!!!!!? :)

Well now at least we know time travel exists! Exciting! Edited by manitoubass2