Ontario to spend $7-billion on sweeping climate change plan

fishnsled

That farmer would have had a ton of land available to lease... likely about 100 acres to get that return a month.

Definitely, and they are likely overpaying at that rate too, I know a guy with 70 acres in binbrook I think he gets 7,000 a year? It's not lucrative unless you have A LOT

Definitely, and they are likely overpaying at that rate too, I know a guy with 70 acres in binbrook I think he gets 7,000 a year? It's not lucrative unless you have A LOT

The leases to the wind farms are just to put the turbine on and guys are getting as much as $30000 plus per year for one turbine from what I've been told. You still get to farm your property around the base of the windmill. The land leases you guys are referring to are for cash croppers to rent your land for growing grain....

Edited by G.mech

Total pollutant emissions by country, Canada 1.6%, China 24%

We all live on the same planet, I don't have the answer and neither does this plan

Kathleen McGuinty wants to set a really really good example in hopes that she/he can be credited with saving the planet...on our dime

Total pollutants minus the pollutants that this huge country cleans by itself.

I have been hearing that too but that doesn't get you in the history books for saving the planet so that science doesn't count

They can lie to me all they want but I know people who travel and see the truth. Protests and pollution.

My friend just got back from bejing. He said people puked as the plane flew over the city the air was that bad.

Once you rent to a wind farm, you give up all rights to your land

Not in Haldimand, Niagara, Strathroy-Caradoc, Essex or most of the other wind farms on the Lake Erie Shore. They all still farm their land, some farms near Nanticoke have 3 or 4 turbines on them and they still grow cash crops.

Edited by G.mech

Not in Haldimand, Niagara, Strathroy-Caradoc, or Essex. They all still farm their land.

But you can never get rid of the windmill...sorry..I don't like them

They just put up 36 of them on the shore of lake superior right on the park border..really nice addition to the natural beauty of the area

Edited by Dara

That farmer would have had a ton of land available to lease... likely about 100 acres to get that return a month.

A small farm here is 60 acres, 100 acres is the norm. One gentleman has been buying up all the farms available, he has thousands of acres now. Remodels the farm houses, sells them off, leases the land for other farmers to work and reaps in the leases on the Wind Turbines.

Once you rent to a wind farm, you give up all rights to your land

Dara, that is simply not true. The early leases that were being offered were non transferable, no one I know bought into that and the smart farmers held off as the early leases offered are nowhere close to the prices they are getting now for leases. All the prime lakeshore land is all spoken for as far as turbines go. That is until the Gov. changes the setback minimums.

I live very close to 3 of them, they don't bother me or anyone else I know here. And housing prices are going up not down as predicted. A neighbour had what they call flicker on his home, shadows at certain times of the day. Nextel rep. went to his place and installed top of the line blinds on all windows, and central air because he couldn't open the windows and get the breeze they had.

They did renege on the balance of the "community" fund where a few million was to be used as the county wanted to enhance the community, that is Bull. The money the county did get was wasted by them of course.

They just put up 36 of them on the shore of lake superior right on the park border..really nice addition to the natural beauty of the area

No. You have to keep the turbine on the property for the length of the 20 year lease with the IESO.

Not sure what you meant by "never". You can't during the 20 year lease....that is the point of the lease, lol.

Dudes, I'm saying we all live in the same atmosphere, why do we have to breath China's crap?

Because they make more money when they pollute, and aren't afraid to give the rest of the world the finger while doing it.

I never said I liked them either especially when they clutter up places lake that and Manatoulin Island with them but the land under them is still owned and usable. That said, they are now a fact of life and span the entire North shore of Lake Erie from end to end...strangely, there doesn't seem to be as many along the shore of Lake Ontario for some reason.

I never said I liked them either especially when they clutter up places lake that and Manatoulin Island with them but the land under them is still owned and usable. That said, they are now a fact of life and span the entire North shore of Lake Erie from end to end...strangely, there doesn't seem to be as many along the shore of Lake Ontario for some reason.

G. Mech.

The number of days, velocity and duration of wind is rated from 0 to 5 if I remember from a seminar years ago. The 2 highest wind ratings in Ontario is the north shore of Erie, Haldimand county being the windiest and the Bruce peninsula. It is far less windy on Lake O. They had set up testing stations along here more than 10 years ago. I see red lights flashing all along the NY side of the lake now too.

I had a dream where I was in the future, explaining to my grandchildren how we ruined the planet.

Told them Canada didn't take part in cleaning up its act because other countries wouldn't follow suit. If my neighbor doesn't pick up his dog crap, I shouldn't either.

Also, we stopped building windmills because they didn't look nice. Instead we kept pumping CO2 into the atmosphere - at least that's invisible.

We didn't trust the 99% of scientists that agreed human-driven climate change was destroying everything, including the oceans. Besides, there were still the 1% of doubtful scientists to re-assure us everything would be ok.

I had a dream where I was in the future, explaining to my grandchildren how we ruined the planet.

Told them Canada didn't take part in cleaning up its act because other countries wouldn't follow suit. If my neighbor doesn't pick up his dog crap, I shouldn't either.

Also, we stopped building windmills because they didn't look nice. Instead we kept pumping CO2 into the atmosphere - at least that's invisible.

We didn't trust the 99% of scientists that agreed human-driven climate change was destroying everything, including the oceans. Besides, there were still the 1% of doubtful scientists to re-assure us everything would be ok.

???

yada yada yada

:sarcasm:

Edited by Dara

Currently ice melt in the arctic is about 3 deviations from the norm. http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/In so many ways once in a lifetime climate events are becoming events that happen once every ten years, or once every several years.

Whatever any politician does is worth the effort, and frankly the cost simply because it puts the issue on the front burner for people who don't pay much attention to this issue.