Fishing Section

grimsbylander

I have to ask...does anyone else see the merit in having a forum under the Main Section that is actually for fishing?? Maybe it's just me but scrolling through the threads to looking for something interesting and remotely related to fishing is getting harder and harder. I mean no disrespect when I say, I don't care what your political views are, or if your dog likes to chase seagulls... I log on for the fishing. There's obviously a place for this stuff or it wouldn't be so repetitive, but maybe the powers at be could separate it?

I don't mind some politics, I don't mind some off topic. I hear ya though, there are a couple dudes here that only post to hear themselves talk and I'm not even sure if they're fishermen at this point. It is what it is though, private site, run how they like it, and if we don't like it we can leave. I just stop reading when the Bull gets too deep. Give it a try!

I have to ask...does anyone else see the merit in having a forum under the Main Section that is actually for fishing?? Maybe it's just me but scrolling through the threads to looking for something interesting and remotely related to fishing is getting harder and harder. I mean no disrespect when I say, I don't care what your political views are, or if your dog likes to chase seagulls... I log on for the fishing. There's obviously a place for this stuff or it wouldn't be so repetitive, but maybe the powers at be could separate it?

It's the peak of the winternet Grimsby. No ice, too early for open water. So what do you suggest we talk about? Just scroll down until someone talks about a rare catch and comment "nice fish". I like a great fish report but there just aren't many if any at all. What do you suggest?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

There should be a minimum 'content' system, for every two fishing-related posts you get the right to post 1 non-fishing post.

Of course, I'm kidding, people should be able to self-monitor their own yaketty-yak, and I don't mind the system we have here, but I like to think that without my fishing posts I'm just another wind bag.

We learned a long time ago it does not benefit the board to chop it up into little compartments. We have separated it to an extent for the specialty things but past that we have asked people to just put NF Not Fishing at the header.On a brighter note we will be past winternet early this year and the fishing stories will flow again.

Art

I was actually just about to make a thread about this. Most forums have a section for politics or even a no-politics rule.

We learned a long time ago it does not benefit the board to chop it up into little compartments. We have separated it to an extent for the specialty things but past that we have asked people to just put NF Not Fishing at the header.On a brighter note we will be past winternet early this year and the fishing stories will flow again.

Art

What I do with my forums is require that users input a thread category before being able to post. That way content can be sorted easily when browsing.

When I first joined I was obsessed with the awesome fishing reports people were posting, only problem is that I couldn't find them. A tagging system would make this trivial.

From what I've seen so far the NF tags are not working, at a glance there are 14 NF thread on the first page, 2 of which are tagged as such.

It's the peak of the winternet Grimsby. No ice, too early for open water. So what do you suggest we talk about? Just scroll down until someone talks about a rare catch and comment "nice fish". I like a great fish report but there just aren't many if any at all. What do you suggest?

Hi Iron, thanks for the reply. I never suggested the NF content be eliminated. I only asked why it could not be separated. If there was a dedicated fishing section and it slowed down in February, so be it. I'm sure in July it would be busier and the winternet section would be quiet.

I thought there was no harm in asking. I figured if I could go to 3 different areas within the classified section, adding one area for fishing on a fishing forum wouldn't be a stretch.

Edited by grimsbylander

Art

Do you promise? I'm going through withdrawl. I just keep going to outdoor stores and buying stuff I don't need and scouring YouTube for fishing shows I haven't watched yet.

You probably know better than me, but a fishing section and an "off-topic" section couldn't hurt. All you need is two.

I would bet that there's more active members here that have never posted a report from their fishing experiences than those that have. That's just what this place is, always has and probably always will be. I like this community, and fish a lot so I like to post reports as an attempt to keep things on track a bit haha. The subforum thing has been brought up a million and one times and nothing has ever came of it, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

I first joined because of the quality of the fishing banter that used to go on here. Then there are Solopaddler's and Moosebunk's epic reports. Stuff most of us only get to experience vicariously through this forum. It seems a lot of the more friendly banter has disappeared. Sad really. I wish I was contributing more fish reports, but life just gets in the way sometimes. I'm sure that is true for many others. I know some have given up posting reports thanks to the flamers and perfectionists.

Ice down here is anything but consistent, so I fill my time making more tackle. Taking a few minutes to scan OFC is a great break from bending over my vice and bench.

If Nothing worthy here, I switch to viewing Simon's videos on youtube.

Sorry feel free to debate this but it will not change. We have a limited amount of time to check up content and if a NF slips thru then the first sentence will tell you if it is NF. I personally own/run a plumbing company and it and running the farm and taking care of my family take up a lot of my time. I am grateful for the chance to make this a pleasant place for a great group of people to come and hang out and visit. If this was a sole source of income I would dedicate lots of time tweeking and making it into sub categories etc. The trade off is we would have to fill this site up with pop ups and then spam the heck out of it. This is not our intent we keep a few ads running to pay most of the bills here and rely on people acting like sober adults. We have a few other mods that are quietly working in the back round and the time we all spend is time we steal from other things driving our lives. I won't go into details but we all decided the best course is to keep this site as simple as possible so we can keep it going. Behind the scenes we discuss ideas as they come up and weigh what amount of time we have to spend and if we felt like it would make the site better without burdening anyone to much we work them in. Hopefully this insight makes people happy with the path of this site given we have over 7000 members and we all look at things differently.

Thanks

Art

Winternet yeah.

But I've said this before as well(as it gets brought up every year.

A buncha people on here are friends and friends talk about more than fishing.

There are fishing only sites you can also visit as well.

And as pointed out, if ya dont like a thread or a topic skim past it

Been here since almost the beginning, tried other fishing boards and you would post a question and wait a few days. Sometimes you would get an answer, sometimes not.

When I go fishing with my friends we talk about all sorts of things, family, friends, cars, computers, politics, religon......(and sometimes even fishing LOL).

Well for me this board is just like going fishing with my buddies, we talk about anything and everything. Just like my buddies, we don't always agree but we learn from each other. I love this board and the community that makes it what it is, lots of other "fishing" only boards have come and gone over the years, this one just keeps growing stronger.

I abhor fragmented forums, thus this is how it'll stay here I suspect for the long run.

And yes, if my friends only wanted to talk fishing 24/7 I'd likely move on......

I can see why you would feel that way. Stuck in the dungoun making rods, no time to play with the fishy.LOL :sarcasm:

I think this year has really put up more NF posts, due to the lack of quality of ice . Once the thaw starts, all the pinners, crappie guys,perch,n boys, cat fish hunters will be posting again.

I for one, cant wait til the thaw starts. I miss my pin already and got soooooooo many waters I want to fish this spring. :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Love the way it is,nice to read and learn about everything.I do read them all.lol. The people /members,have helped me from Fishing,to boat ,to vehicle,to anything I need help with.Usually very quick.I still believe it is the best site from what I';ve seen .Thanks to everyone for your continuing help when needed.

As mentioned,easy enough to find the fishing threads if that's all you want?.