cry or freak out... NF

manitoubass2

Ive never been so sad and mad at the same time?

Il let our cat out this morning as per usual...

Kids are getting ready for the school bus and I hear screaming from my daughter as I ready the lunches.

I run outside and our dog is rag dolling our cat! Wth???

I grab sweetie(our cat) and ivy (our dog) is just going nuts trying to get at her.

These are beloved pets that have always got along. I dont understand it?

Sweetie cant walk and its vet time, i think maybe her back is broken? She can move around but no use in the back legs when she tries to stand???

Ughhh im so friggen mad, 10 years and im afraid she gonna have to be put down.

Sad day regardless in our household?

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that! You have to wonder what happened to make the dog snap and worse yet you have to wonder if you can ever trust the dog again especially with small children around. Sounds like the kindest thing you can do for the cat is have it put down, a broken back can't be fixed. As for the dog...... I know what I would do as hard as it might be!

That is terrible news Rick. Especially with the kids witnessing it. I have heard of this happening many times before. The Dog never bothers the Cat for years and then one day just attacks it. My own dog years ago got along great with all the kids then one afternoon for no reason or provocation took a chunk out of my 4 year old niece. The Vet said this can happen with a dog when it gets older. Watch that dog closely M2.

Sweetie is going in at 1030. I had hoped maybe she was just in shock.

She moves her legs etc but she cant get up.

Pretty sure the vet will put her down as much as i hate to say it.

But our dogs are invaluable to us as much as our cats. I dont think i can put her down on her instincs(she is a hunting dog/siberian husky)

Im just so mad at her! Shes never been anything other than superb with the kids and cats.

I mean, i dont know, maybe she was playing and took it too far?

Maybe she snapped? I dont friggen know?

Never ever have we had an issue with our dogs or cats for that matter, geebus

dog has all of his vaccines...distemper/parvo?

possible the cat was already injured somehow and triggered the attack?

Yes and no.

Sweetie was always one to play. Shed lay on her back and they would just play and shed leave when she had enough.

Not sure what happend honestly?

Our poor cat and our poor kiddos???

That just plain sucks
Five years ago we had to put our 18 year old cat down. That was bad enough But your challenged even more. I know what I would do but I appreciate your position

As mentioned keep a close eye on the dog. Showing those signs

Yes your dogs are important BUT your kids are more important than any dog imho

especially with a little one on the way

Edited by mr blizzard

Thats terrible bud, always sad to see this stuff happen.

I have a 100lb american bulldog that is truly a big suck, but no matter what i will never trust her 100% particularily around my daughter, you just never know with an animal.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

even the best trained dogs are still animals, and huskys are more wild in nature than most dogs I'd say, not the first time I've heard of a husky snapping (sad stories in Calgary and somewhere in Quebec got national spotlight a few years ago)

you have mentioned before your dog has scrapped with coyotes and wolves right?...I'd keep a close eye on the dog and keep him quarantined until he can see a vet, run some blood work for distemper/whatever else, just to be safe

sorry to hear this my friend. as others have said, watch the dog closely. more so with the baby any time now because if the dog has turned then all small beings can be a target for it. not saying that is why things happened today as they did but my buddy had to put his husky down many years ago.

my sister breeds Weimaraner's for show and hunting if something happens and you need a new pup.

again, sorry to hear man!

My current cat was attacked by my old dog the day we found the cat. She wandered into our yard as a small kitten and I think my old/mostly blind/mostly deaf dog mistook the cat for a squirrel and went at her. A repaired punctured lung and hernia later I now have a 10 year old cat that is almost 20 lbs. Sometimes dogs can get confused or something could have happened and it was being territorial. They are still animals, after all. Not to say you shouldn't keep an eye on this dog from now on...

Sorry to hear about the cat though. Especially the kids having to see that.

Terrible, that's unbelievable for that to just happen all of a sudden between two who are so used to each other, so sorry for your loss! I've had my kitty for a little over 2 months now and couldn't imagine something like that, he's such a good companion