Question for the tech savy Re. Windows 10

Big Cliff

I have an older laptop, it's a Lenova about 7 years old and I am very happy with it. It is running Vista and still seems to be working fine but I am told that Vista is no longer supported.

I'm not sure if I can upgrade it to windows 10 (not even sure if I want to), I can find lots of free upgrades from Windows 7 and 8 but haven't found anything about upgrading from Vista.

Could I? Should I? Am I going to have to re-install some of my programs like Microsoft Office?

I'd like to stay with what I have because it's what I am use to but am worried that one day soon it just won't work or be able to handle some of the newer programs and features.

I have an older laptop, it's a Lenova about 7 years old and I am very happy with it. It is running Vista and still seems to be working fine but I am told that Vista is no longer supported.

I'm not sure if I can upgrade it to windows 10 (not even sure if I want to), I can find lots of free upgrades from Windows 7 and 8 but haven't found anything about upgrading from Vista.

Could I? Should I? Am I going to have to re-install some of my programs like Microsoft Office?

I'd like to stay with what I have because it's what I am use to but am worried that one day soon it just won't work or be able to handle some of the newer programs and features.

Cliff, in my opinion you are always better to go with a fresh install.

If you have important programs that only work in Vista then you may have to stick with it, but I personally would be going to Win 7. It's much leaner, and I bet it will run even better on an old laptop than Vista.

If you go onto the microsoft website, there should be something there that will tell you if your computer can handle windows 10. I think thats the issue with the Vista computers, they aren't capable of running of 10 without giving up a lot of system resources. I have a Lenovo SL510 Thinkpad, had Windows 7 pro on it, and I did the upgrade to 10 on it no issues. What it comes down to, is your computer specs

You won't lose any programs or information by doing the upgrade, theres an option during the installation process that asks you if you would like to keep your files/pictures/music/videos and whatnot

Cliff. My advice is if vista is running fine then why upgrade the operating system at all? Chances are you will never need support for that operating system if you haven't already. My worry is with an older machine, Windows 10 may bog down your system resources making it run very slowly. The always say "it'll run faster and more efficiently", but if you haven't upgraded your ram or if your processor isn't fast enough it could do more harm than good.

Your printer may not support 10.

Yup, had that issue with canon printer and camera, neither of which is more than 2 years old. Email was all screwed up too. I reverted back to W7 and then a lot of the old archived emails were lost completely. As far as I know windows 7 will be supported until 2020. Maybe by then the chitshow will be fixed.

Cliff, I asked my tech the same question, should I upgrade to Win 10. His answer was quick and to the point, a resounding NO! Too many issues involved in Win 10 that have not been fully addressed. He's had a ton of business come through the door from folks who have done the upgrade, only to have major issues with compatibility and performance.

I tried doning the upgrade on my two year old machine and it bombed out after three hours! My computer was a mess! Went back to my old operating system, Win 7pro and all is well again.

I'm with everyone else, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

HH

Everyone I know is talking about the Free upgrade to Windows 10.. Yes "Paul" its free all free.

Installation and Use Rights.

a. License. The software is licensed, not sold.

What this means is it can become a subscription service at the discretion of Microsoft. Charged for updates, etc..

Nothing is for free!!

If you have windows 7 stick to it as long as updates are pushed.

Vista .. yes its a pain but stick to it as your hardware will need updating for the new software.

Everyone that run's Microsoft products will end up on Windows 10 as that is all they will support after a while.

Cliff. My advice is if vista is running fine then why upgrade the operating system at all? Chances are you will never need support for that operating system if you haven't already. My worry is with an older machine, Windows 10 may bog down your system resources making it run very slowly. The always say "it'll run faster and more efficiently", but if you haven't upgraded your ram or if your processor isn't fast enough it could do more harm than good.

Vista is no longer supported so there will be no more security updates to the OS which will leave the computer vulnerable.

Vista is no longer supported so there will be no more security updates to the OS which will leave the computer vulnerable.

All he needs is something like Malwarebyts Anti Malware and a decent virus app like Avasti. Upgrading is going to cause him nothing but headaches.

I upgraded to 10 on one of my computers and i find it much better then 8

you go to microsoft website and it will tell you if 10 likes your computer

10 is very accommodating, i have discovered i can install a10 on a computer then remove the hard drive and use the drive to boot up any other computer and it will run it and find the drivers all by itself, even if its 64 bit or 32

I updated from Vista to 10 and it was pretty much seamless except ........ huge updates on a regular basis. I'm on a very limited rural data plan and it killed me until I figured out what was going on. The updates are automatic unless you go into your settings and change the option. I now drive into a library wifi once a week to let the system update.

I updated my Dell Latitude months ago,running better then windows 7.Definitely not one issue here.Love 10 .Funny how some like and some don't?.

I've never been much of an early adopter with Windows. Rather wait and see what issues people are having. I won't be giving up 7 anytime soon.. Just a personal preference.

I've never been much of an early adopter with Windows. Rather wait and see what issues people are having. I won't be giving up 7 anytime soon.. Just a personal preference.

I assure you as Terry said.Don't wait till you have to pay.IMO,just do it,you will not regret.If you are worried,back all your important documents or whatever on a external drive. I do this quarterly anyway,because of work documents.

Edited by davey buoy

From PC World about end of life for IE 8-10.

"The only exception to the end of IE versions 8 through 10 will be Windows Vista, which will continue to get support for Internet Explorer 9. IE9 was the last version of the browser built for the OS. But that support won’t run for much longer. Microsoft will end support for Vista in April 2017, which means the OS will cease receiving security updates all together—just like Windows 8 and XP."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021789/windows/microsoft-patch-tuesday-kills-off-windows-8-and-internet-explorer-8-9-and-10.html

I am using Windows 10 and generally like it.

Jon