Tree cutting advice

captpierre

Hi guys.

I have a 30-40 ft healthy ash 5 ft away from the cottage on the NW corner. Buckhorn area.

I don't appreciate the shade and the leaves/twigs it drops on the roof. A super strong NW wind could potentially bring it down on the cottage.

They say all the ash trees are doomed in the next few years thanks to the emerald ash borer.

I'm thinking its time to take it down.

I'm not very experienced at tree falling.

When is the best time of year to do it?

I can cut it up for firewood.

Should I call an insured arborist? What can I expect to pay?

Maybe you have more experience than me, but I wouldn't touch that.

This summer, I had 4 big poplars dropped by an insured pro (just dropped, I cleaned it up)I didn't feel comfortable felling, it was $425 plus tax. Pretty cool to watch the guy do it too.

edit- I think it's possible to buy a vaccine for that ash tree if you wanted to keep it, no idea how much that costs

Edited by chris.brock

IF its not dead, I would leave it as well. If its alive and healthy, there is very little risk it will come down in a wind storm.

If you can drop in onto your neighbors yard it doesn't look too bad to fell, but your side looks a bit dicey with the buildings there.

I know a guy who could do it for ya if you really want to take it down. Pm me if your interested.

S.

I spent years working in the bush and from that first picture that tree is going to the right. There is way too much weight on that side for it to come back across those cedars (unless you had some very serious equipment to literally pull it back over) and even then you might stop it from falling where the weight is but it would probably spin on the stump and come down to the side. Also, if it did come down on those cedars it would make a mess of a few of them.

From the second picture it looks like you might be able to take it down and drop it between the house and the shed, the limbs are high enough on it that it would probably work but it is a little hard to tell from a picture.

Regardless of what it is going to cost to have a professional take it down, more important what is it going to cost if it comes down on one of your buildings?

Edited by Big Cliff

I would leave it and hope it lives.

Other than that, there are a couple decent logs in the bottom...not the greatest but I really like ash as a furniture wood.

And a pro to take it down

I should just say, aww heck, just cut it, whats the worst that can happen

Edited by Dara

For $2600 I'd climb it and cut it piece by piece with a hand saw for you! Hell I could rent a crane, rig it to the upper limbs and make a single cut at the bottom. They're out to lunch for a 4 hour job.

You'd be better off to let it fall on your house and pay the $1000 deductible for the repairs.

OUCH. $2600 is a huge pile of coin to pay, but they kinda know they got ya, plus at least you get the satisfaction of knowing they're insured and really know what they're doing, so the chance of misadventure is slim. Wouldn't surprise me at all if other quotes came in the same ball park.

On the other hand, I'll bet that nice healthy tree is looking better all the time right where it is. :)

Good luck with it.

Cheers

They're trying to screw you. Post the name of the snake or the business.

I had 4 poplars felled, 3 were giant, and 1 was leaning towards the cottage, for $425, it took about 1.5 hours, John and 2 students.

John at Boshkung Tree Service, you could Email him the photos, he's not too far away.

$2600. Wow! I'm in the wrong trade! Rent a 30 ton boom truck with an attached man basket. Most crane rental companies would be about $150.00 per hour = $600. includes the crane operator. 1 guy in the basket for less than 4 hours, that tree will be on the ground in small pieces.

If you think that price is bad, try getting a quote in the city!!!! My old neighbour had a Manitoba Maple (weed tree) with one branch hanging badly over his garage. They charged him roughly the same amount to remove that one branch and yes, he did get multiple quotes.

I'm thinking an OFC gtg with some chain saws and a couple of nimble climbers and tree problem solved!

HH