Lost a wheel on the highway

kickingfrog

I was hunting the South river area on Friday for grouse and on the way home my front diver's side wheel came off on hwy 11.

No injuries and thank goodness no other vehicles were involved. I had let of the throttle has soon as I heard something and we were going much slower than the speed limit when it came off.

At this point i don't know how it happened. The last time that wheel had been off the vehicle was in the spring when the summers were put on.

Don't know if it was tampered with. Just a heads up if you are out in the woods this fall.

Edited by kickingfrog

Glad your ok, could have been nasty for sure

Friends of ours a little to the south around Huntsville have been telling us of people who have had their wheel nuts tampered with ie loosened

Its something u just don't think to check when u jump in your vehicle

Did the hub come off or was it just the tire and rim?

Just the wheel.

Wow you are seriously lucky, if that hits a car going the other way its game over.

It was dark so I couldn't see where it went. I was very worried that it would hit something.

Edited by kickingfrog

Glad everyone is fine. To add to the rest of the advice is to check the lug nuts/bolts after getting the car back from the mechanics. A lot of time they will forget to torque them down. I always redo mine when I bring the car back from the shop with a torque wrench. Sometimes shops wont tighten them enough, and sometime they will over tighten them! Could be a honest mistake, but its not them that will suffer when the wheels fall off.

Back in the days, my dad got his brakes done at a well known shop in Montreal. He drove to toronto the same day and upon reaching, he told me he kept hearing a weird sound. I check the wheels and I was literally able to spin the lug nuts with my fingers. Scary!

Edited by huzzsaba

I always redo mine when I bring the car back from the shop with a torque wrench. Sometimes shops wont tighten them enough, and sometime they will over tighten them!

Same with me, every time I take the truck in for regular maintenance they pull the wheels to check the brakes but when I get home I loosen them off and re-torque them.

Just spent the afternoon going over it with a mechanic. Everything points to tampering. I've just decided on a new spot during the big game seasons. I'll also be bringing some game cameras as well. Haven't decided on whether or not my brother and I will be sitting in the woods watching with a couple more cameras.

Thays crazy. People suck! Glad your ok and nobody was hurt!!

I had one come off years ago on the 400. I had just had new tires installed, and they didnt torque the wheel nuts. I was also lucky nobody was hurt, and my tire flew off the shoulder into a field, rather than unto oncoming traffic. It rolled almost a km before it came to a stop!!

S

Great that you can type about it Rob... I've seen it not turn out so well to others. Leah and I had our own close call on Wednesday night... heard a loud snap and it felt like we ran over something about 10 miles from home after a trip to Guelph. It was rear axle wheel bearing failure with nothing holding the axle in but the brake caliper. Smoking so bad when I drove it across town to Ford one of the mechanics ran to the truck with a fire extinguisher. I yelled "NO, Let it Burn !"

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.oshea.3/videos/923700191048459/?l=4207070615229693284

Edited by irishfield

My dad had his 69 4x4 in for some brake work at Canadian tire ..3 miles north of parry sound on hwy 400..his front tire passed him,truck dropped and he powered it to the shoulder ..all lug nuts were loose..OPP were right behind him when it happened , they both called C Tire ...it was brutal ..my dad kept his cool..they paid to have paint and body work done ..4 new rims and tires

generally nothing leaves my bay without being hand torqued first, but the biggie and no matter how many times i say it is all wheels require a retorque after 25 to 100 miles of driving, doesn't take much corrsion or dirt on the mounting surface to make the wheel come loose quickly ans surprisingly about 1 in a 100 customers will return for that retorque

Yep, there's some real bone head, red neck mentality going on sometimes. "This land is my land, this land ain't your land"

I would call the local police Rob and tell them the story, they may put that info in their back pocket.

Good nobody hurt.

Great that you can type about it Rob... I've seen it not turn out so well to others. Leah and I had our own close call on Wednesday night... heard a loud snap and it felt like we ran over something about 10 miles from home after a trip to Guelph. It was rear axle wheel bearing failure with nothing holding the axle in but the brake caliper. Smoking so bad when I drove it across town to Ford one of the mechanics ran to the truck with a fire extinguisher. I yelled "NO, Let it Burn !"

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.oshea.3/videos/923700191048459/?l=4207070615229693284

and if you had drum brakes would have lost it all, not the first time seeing f150 doing that doubt its the last

Yep, there's some real bone head, red neck mentality going on sometimes. "This land is my land, this land ain't your land"

I would call the local police Rob and tell them the story, they may put that info in their back pocket.

Good nobody hurt.

... and the MNR. Only so many regulars in the area. At this point the calls were only to let them know it had happened. Zero proof of course, and at this point a one-off for me, but you're right, it might be another reason for someone to ask a few questions. I'll be interested to see what the cameras produce.