Can this be legal?

Big Cliff

I haven't looked lately but 30 years ago you had to cover the motor.

As far as fishing alongside duck hunters, they really don't have a lot of range and don't hunt more than a few hours in the morning and evening so I can't see too much trouble unless its so populated there that there is no room left

The lake is fairly narrow in places and if anglers don't see the hunters they are fishing a couple hundred feet in front of the blinds.

When you see a flock of ducks not taking off...well.....and the hunters should see the fishermen and yell at them, ain't no ducks gonna come close enough to shoot with them there anyway

I am an avid waterfowl hunter. And I can tell you that what you witnessed is not un-common. Sad. Horribly sad, but not un-common. I have seen guys on cooks bay chasing flocks of birds around in a pontoon boat at WOT with 2 guys up front blasting away….

The legalities of shooting from a boat have been mentioned already in this thread. And I think have shaken out enough to give you an idea of the law. I have a 14’ aluminum with a 9.9 fully equipped with a duck blind. I only shoot from this rig once the boat it still, and the motor is up and out of the water, 99% of the time I’m moored in to a spot nestled in the shadow grass…. Based on my interpretation of the law, this is perfectly legal.

What these clowns did to you was very far from legal, and IMO they should themselves be shot (non-fatally) and pissed on. They give law abiding water fowlers a bad name.

How I interpret the law, they broke several laws.

1. I am pretty sure you are not allowed to discharge a fire arm a certain distance from a dwelling. For some reason 300 meters comes to mind
  2. You cannot discharge a firearm from a moving boat that’s powered by a motor (a canoe is a different story when jump shooting)
  3. Shooting towards you while you are witnessing… Well. That’s just the most ignorant thing they could have done.. I mean really. Are you that desperate for ducks that you need to drive around from dock to dock blasting ducks from your moving boat like your bass fishing??. I mean really.. What are these idiots thinking??!!!!!

I need to stop now.

These people drive me absolutely nuts. I am so angry about this post, I just need to stop….

Dara we only see them out there in the Am and before dark after dinner..The shots fired are a joke..One of my other neighbors was out fishing one morning or evening (cant remember) last year he could hear the pellets hitting the water all around him..He got the heck out of there..

Have not hunted in years; but when I was a teen-ager some 50 plus years ago. I would prefer to shoot ducks on the water. I would wait until they grouped up and then "harvest" them. Most were head shots which dispatched them immediately leaving the breasts untouched. Easier to retrieve as well without searching through a whole bunch of cat-tails searching for downed birds.

This was pond hunting; not driving up on them in moving boats close to docks. I see your point Cliff.

Have not hunted in years; but when I was a teen-ager some 50 plus years ago. I would prefer to shoot ducks on the water. I would wait until they grouped up and then "harvest" them. Most were head shots which dispatched them immediately leaving the breasts untouched. Easier to retrieve as well without searching through a whole bunch of cat-tails searching for downed birds.

This was pond hunting; not driving up on them in moving boats close to docks. I see your point Cliff.

We would do that as well.

Let the birds come in to the deeks and when the first few hit the water pop up out of the blind and pop em.

Well, the first guy knew he wasn't legal because as soon as I told him I was calling MNR, he headed out as fast as he could go! The second two :asshat: were a little too far away and they didn't even shut the motor off but I did stand out on the deck where I hope they saw me giving them the Bignell good luck salute. ! ! (one for each of them)

This kind of stuff ticks me off so bad. Mostly because I am a local, and hardcore waterfowler, so it makes me look bad.

Shooting towards shore could be considered careless use of a firearm. Thats serious stuff.

Shooting from a moving boat is illegal, unless they were chasing a crippled bird. Even still, if it was a cripple, they should have got between the bird and shore, and fired away from shore.

If they did indeed run up to the ducks and shoot them while still moving, they have broken a few regulations. Its illegal to have a firearm out of its case and loaded in a moving boat. Its illegal to chase waterfowl, and its illegal to harrass waterfowl.

Cliff, pm me a description of their boat and motor. I'd love to see these tools out there. I have no problem letting them know what their doing is not right.

This time of year brings out all the once a year duck hunters, and they just want to shoot their guns. After thanksgiving, just the true waterfowlers are out there.

I was considering going up there this weekend, but I think i'll pass. I dont want to be involved in that chaos!!

S.

Well, the first guy knew he wasn't legal because as soon as I told him I was calling MNR, he headed out as fast as he could go! The second two :asshat: were a little too far away and they didn't even shut the motor off but I did stand out on the deck where I hope they saw me giving them the Bignell good luck salute. ! ! (one for each of them)

Cliff, you should be more upset with the MNR as you are paying them and they don't know their job or even seemed concerned for your safety or the wildlife they are paid to protect.

She should of at least immediately contacted someone on your behave and gave you the correct info you were requesting. She could of called a officer in the field via cell phone and sent him to your location. Other then answering the phone what does she do/know ? ? ?

Cliff, you should be more upset with the MNR as you are paying them and they don't know their job or even seemed concerned for your safety or the wildlife they are paid to protect.

She should of at least immediately contacted someone on your behave and gave you the correct info you were requesting. She could of called a officer in the field via cell phone and sent him to your location. Other then answering the phone what does she do/know ? ? ?

It disappoints me but it doesn't surprise me! I see so many abuses and there just aren't enough COs to cover the area. I at least thought someone would phone me back especially after I told her I had a picture of the guy and the boat.

Slightly off topic, but 15 years ago my bud and I went out one evening to cast for musky. Nice little 2 acre bay we usually did well in with some lily pads, bull rushes, pencil reeds and rocky points on either side.

We'd only been there a short time when a guy pulls up to us in a camouflaged boat and told us we had to leave the area RIGHT NOW because he wanted to back up against the rushes and shoot the ducks that came in and they'd be scared off with us being there.

He didn't ask if we'd do him the favor by leaving, but rather ordered us out of "his" spot.

I told him if he'd have asked us we'd have gladly moved on but because he ordered us out we now had no intention of leaving and continued to cast even though we'd already covered the bay.

He sat in his boat watching the ducks fly past us and finally left as the sun set and then grumbled to us about being in-considerate morons.

I told him to have a nice evening and hopefully his next time out brings him better luck.

People are just ignorant. Ive had tons of fishermen come right thru my decoy spread and just be jerks about it. I dont know where respectand common courtesy went, but you dont see much of it on the water any more.

Not since Michael Jackson advertised the "Pepsi Generation" which quickly became "THE ME GENERATION" have I seen courtesy from hunters, anglers, drivers, people cutting in lines, etc.......you name it.

Edited by Mister G

Slightly off topic, but 15 years ago my bud and I went out one evening to cast for musky. Nice little 2 acre bay we usually did well in with some lily pads, bull rushes, pencil reeds and rocky points on either side.

We'd only been there a short time when a guy pulls up to us in a camouflaged boat and told us we had to leave the area RIGHT NOW because he wanted to back up against the rushes and shoot the ducks that came in and they'd be scared off with us being there.

He didn't ask if we'd do him the favor by leaving, but rather ordered us out of "his" spot.

I told him if he'd have asked us we'd have gladly moved on but because he ordered us out we now had no intention of leaving and continued to cast even though we'd already covered the bay.

He sat in his boat watching the ducks fly past us and finally left as the sun set and then grumbled to us about being in-considerate morons.

I told him to have a nice evening and hopefully his next time out brings him better luck.

Hahahahahah

All the years of being a fisherman I have had lots of run ins and meet & greets with duck hunters and most have always been good !!! I have had BB"s bounce off me before and my boat !!!! Had one guy sighting in his rifle trying to hit a javex bottle out on the lake and had ricochets going by me 1/4 mile away !!!!!! I has a very loud confrontation with him and his buddy at his cottage a few years ago !!!!! But I know as a fisherman this time of year it's duck season !!! And there is gonna be hunters around !!!! They were blasting away this past weekend while I was fishing and we made sure both myself and the hunters know we were there !!! Most are pretty good about it !!! I purposely didn't fish the shoreline in that area as I knew they were there !!!! So it's a respect thing and they do their thing I do mine !! But yes some are careless and don't think it through for sure !!! Sturgeon lake has sounded like a war zone for a few weeks now ... And they will be all gone soon and back to normal when I used to fish the mouth of wilmot creek many years ago in the fall we had pellets raining down on us one day from the corn field next to the creek ..... But ya they should not be shooting towards houses regardless ....

And the cottagers & home owners on the kawarthas don't help the situation as they feed the ducks and geese all summer long close up their cottage go home for the season and the ducks are almost tame and swim along the shoreline looking for their regular food from the people that feed them ..... Hunters have said that many times those ducks end up being easy pickings .....

People are just ignorant. Ive had tons of fishermen come right thru my decoy spread and just be jerks about it. I dont know where respectand common courtesy went, but you dont see much of it on the water any more.

Shane

Fishing the local pond/lake here a few years ago, A friend and i had a set up. This boat came in. Not into the decoys ,but still in close enough that made me not want to shoot at fly bys. Ya we were upset, but hey, it,s part of the game. After about 15 minutes or so, I just walked out and asked if they would mind moving along as I and my friend were ducking hunting. The response was ,sorry sir, we didnt know. That made our morning hunt. Not all are ass ,s Yet I know there are.

We both got our first blacks that morning.

Shane

Fishing the local pond/lake here a few years ago, A friend and i had a set up. This boat came in. Not into the decoys ,but still in close enough that made me not want to shoot at fly bys. Ya we were upset, but hey, it,s part of the game. After about 15 minutes or so, I just walked out and asked if they would mind moving along as I and my friend were ducking hunting. The response was ,sorry sir, we didnt know. That made our morning hunt. Not all are ass ,s Yet I know there are.

We both got our first blacks that morning.

???