Another Weekend at Bernie's - monster PB pic inside!

ccmtcanada

This edition of weekend at Bernie's was windy and wet. Headhunter arrived at my place just before 9 and Fishnsled came to pick us up a few minutes later. We hit the road and headed north. We were racing the rain and wind that we could see on radar. We weren't sure how much fishing we'd get in, but the weekend isn't just about that. It's about good friends getting together a few times a year to relax and enjoy the company!

We arrived at the launch just in time for rain showers to start passing through. It wasn't too bad so Fishnsled and I cast for bass in a nice spot on the way to to the cottage. There was some enticing vegetation in about 4 feet of water and Fishnsled hooks into a monster bass! He's reeling it in and just as its boat side, it shakes the hook. Damn!! We saw Bernie pass us with all our gear so we headed for the cottage.

Fishnsled and I went to pick up a rod holder at a nearby lodge and searched for some bass....but they weren't coming out to play. Back to the cottage and we are treated to an awesome pork roast, potatoes and salad dinner courtesy of headhunter!

Saturday morning the winds were howling and wave after wave of showers blew through. By the time 930 came, Fishnsled and I decided we'd fight the elements and give trolling for musky a try. He gave me an awesome looking Live Target lure for my birthday and I really wanted to give it a try!!

We trolled and trolled, braving rain, winds and 3 foot waves. Just before 11am, Fishnsled makes a tight turn and my rod no longer has the thumping action it had. I asked how deep we were and he said 25 feet...no way I'm dragging bottom so I grab the rod from the holder and set the hook! I feel nothing. Dead weight. Weird! Suddenly I feel the head shakes and the adrenaline starts pumping. It wasn't a long fight....and when I saw the head I thought "holy crap that's huge!!!" It wasn't a Muskie, but it was the biggest pike I've ever caught! My new PB is 40" and just over 16 pounds!

BECF705C-3175-4B79-9759-1FA5624BA9A5_zps

My last PB also came from this lake, but that was tiny at 35". Lol

08804385-DBE2-467D-BFD7-A12E4782B488_zps

That was the only fish of the day....we trolled a little bit longer and headed in for lunch. Good thing we did as a few minutes after we were in the cottage, the winds changed direction and was blowing around 50km/h with 5 footers crashing in outside the bay!

That night, Fishnsled thought he'd try a new bbq potato recipe. He cooked it for a bit and then scooped out the insides and mixed it with cheese and other yummy things. Then he put the mixture back in, wrapped it in bacon and put it back on the bbq. It turned out amazing!!!

6B91C472-4359-42E5-91C5-A43F057ED939_zps

That was it for fishing that day....headhunter and Bernie still hadn't made it out yet. Lol

Sunday morning came and it was chilly. From 19c the day before to 5 degrees Sunday morning. Fishnsled and I trolled for an hour or so but the cold front had things shut down. Oh well....it's always good to be out on the lake!

We packed up and got ready to leave Bernie's little piece of paradise and I asked the guys to line up for a quick group picture. They all hemmed and hawed and turned their backs....so here they are. Can you guess who's a$$ belongs to who??? Lol

F2B47159-3C9A-4F01-997A-352DBA87CE6B_zps

That's wraps up another awesome weekend at Bernie's. Thanks very much Bernie for having us up again! I tried to sweep up the floor best I could....its been better in the past, but I did my best!!

Well I know the answer to the question so I'll pass on that.  A couple more pics of that gator, truly an awesome fish for Cliff and happy to have been the net men for that beast. Congrats Cliff and thanks for doing up the report. Always a great time with these guys and can't wait till the next trip. I guess I'll be making those potatoes again. Thanks again for the hospitality Bernie!!   Cliff%20PB%20Pike%20Sep%202015%202.jpg   Cliff%20PB%20Pike%20Sep%202015%201.jpg   Cliff%20PB%20Pike%20Release%202.jpg    

And some video of the release.

Edited by fishnsled