Kids worm business shut down by city

Unreal.

Some kids making some cash by working. Let them be for frig sakes.

When I was about 10, I made mad money(lol) selling crawfish on rainy lake at 10 cents a piece. Made about $40 a day and I was rollin in cash lol.

Anyhow, this is rediculous.

Let them kids work and provide a service

This smells like a local tackle/bait retailer making complaints more less tying the hands of the bylaw officer. Quick trip around Cornwall will likely find a doz biz run out of residence, likely brother laws of the mayor.

You can sometimes get around this by non permanent signage.

Anyway if I was the kid my $240 would be spent on a lawyer because no bylaw # was quoted.

It's the way of the world today. Kids that do try to do something positive and some idiot has to jump all over them instead of encouraging them. What next, are they going to stop little kids from having a lemonade stand? Selling Girl Guide Cookies?

UPDATE

City Councilor Justin Towndale issued a statement on the subject:

“Earlier today I was made aware of an issue in which a By-Law notice was served to a local family advising that their three children could no longer sell worms from their property. I’ve since met with the family, have reached out to our By-Law supervisor, and contacted my Council colleagues. I’ve been advised that in the past, this same By-Law provision has been used to shut down lemonade stands that were also run by children. My goal is to remedy the current issue and fix it for all going forward. We should let kids be kids.

Thanks,
Justin

This smells like a local tackle/bait retailer making complaints more less tying the hands of the bylaw officer. Quick trip around Cornwall will likely find a doz biz run out of residence, likely brother laws of the mayor.

You can sometimes get around this by non permanent signage.

Anyway if I was the kid my $240 would be spent on a lawyer because no bylaw # was quoted.

That was my 1st thought as well. Once a complaint is made the bylaw officer's hands are tied, and his job is on the line if he doesn't do his job to the letter.

It's the way of the world today. Kids that do try to do something positive and some idiot has to jump all over them instead of encouraging them. What next, are they going to stop little kids from having a lemonade stand? Selling Girl Guide Cookies?

X 2 and yet people can get off with a bit of "stuff" on them or disrupt traffic with no penalties But some young people who show they want to work in this world and contribute back instead of becoming whinning leaches with their hands out get the gears, a little common sense goes a long ways

All the bait shops pay taxes and licensing fees, the kids don't....you think the government is going to let anybody get away with not giving them their FAIR share

I agree with your reasoning but if some of our elected officials reflected back to when they were kids I am sure some of them were doing the same thing, its amazing with time how some people forget the past, my wife and I will still stop and buy lemonade or whatever, baked goods etc, we will always say u should be proud of yourself to work hard to make some money, some kids dont hear enough of that these days , there is always so much negative thrown at them, we sold pears, worms and lemonade in front of the house in Woodbridge and we never put any business out of business, you were learning some fundamentals of how to make money, how to interact with the public and how to do some simple budgeting, those things are great learing skills

All the bait shops pay taxes and licensing fees, the kids don't....you think the government is going to let anybody get away with not giving them their FAIR share

They let drug dealers and "ladies of the night" do business all the time and don't collect taxes on those!

They let drug dealers and "ladies of the night" do business all the time and don't collect taxes on those!

Yup, but when they catch them they shut them down...same as the illegal worm sales bussiness

You have to remember that the bylaw people don't come around for something like this unless there is a complaint. Like some Richard neighbour. We all seem to have one around.

Good to see the Councillor step in to correct the situation.