Balsam Lake Fishing Report May 16-20 2024

Hello everyone. My family and I went to Balsam lake recently and received lots of tips from the kind people on this forum on how to fish the lake, this led us to success fishing for walleye and pike, so I figured I should share what we did so others can benefit from it. We trolled 8'-10' weedlines with cranks (Berkeley flicker shad 7 firetiger) for the first two days and caught a good amount of fish, but as the water rose in temperature (63f->66f) we started to troll the 12'-15' weedlines again with cranks and had lots of success with the walleyes in doing so. Occasionally we would let the wind drift us over the weeds and I would either rip a bucktail around or soak a slip bobber with a 3 inch minnow, I caught 3 nice walleye and 2 pike using these methods and they all fought hard. We caught over 25 walleye (most between 16"-20") and 4 pike (24"-28") and a few accidental out of season smallies. All in all it was a fun fishing trip.

walleye 3.jpg

walleye 2.jpg

walleye 1.jpg

pike1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are into Muskie fishing, fish around Ant Island and the north shoreline in South Bay. There is also good bass fishing on the west side of Grand Island. My dad caught a 45 inch Muskie where south bay starts but that was over 30 years ago.