Do you have a boarding ladder on your boat ?

lew

Just thinking about the boater that fell out of his boat on Lake O the other day and drowned.

I've got a drop down ladder on the back of my boat that I could use to climb back in...hopefully...in the event I fall overboard.

What's everybody else using ??

Just curious if everyone has thought about it because it could happen to any one of us on the next trip.

Here's my ladder on the right side of the motor.

Cnv0361.jpg

id like to point out that boarding ladders are not easy to board from, as a wakeboarder, im 27 and work out all the time and even i find boarding from a boarding ladder difficult. For the old timers and those of us who are slightly lazier, i wouldnt count on a boarding ladder to bail you out.

It is required by law if your freeboard (distance needed to climb vertically from the water surface to the edge of the vessel) is more than 20" Whether required or not,it would be useful for almost any boat provided of course your motor was stopped hen you fell out OR you were wearing you kill switch tether.

I run the dock lines the length of the boat for grab lines, the boarding ladder is stowed out of the way. I recall one of the squadron members tossed his OL'Lady over the side for a man overboard practice and they couldn't get her back in the boat. She was not happy.

We've always stepped on the cavitation plate as the motors usually in the down position. We stop for swims and snorkeling a lot up north and even I can haul my big carcass back in the boat this way. I can always reach up on the motor and drop the trim down if it's still up to high from being on plane.

Kind of hard on the knees getting over the transom but it works

id like to point out that boarding ladders are not easy to board from, as a wakeboarder, im 27 and work out all the time and even i find boarding from a boarding ladder difficult. For the old timers and those of us who are slightly lazier, i wouldnt count on a boarding ladder to bail you out.

Granted their not all that easy to use but their a heck of a lot better than no ladder at all.

Interesting thread. We have none, but a number of years back, one of our dogs fell out of the boat and I had to go in after her. She was a lousy swimmer and the water was a bit rough. Yes, my life jacket was on when I went in. :angel: After lifting her back in, I also used the engine to get myself back in. Not the best idea, but was my only option. Might be a good idea to pick something up that we could just hang over the back when we need it.

I have a boarding ladder. I was talking to a guy yesterday. A number of years ago him and a friend required rescuing from a local lake. They were both wearing life jackets. By the time they were picked up the cold water had zapped their strength to the point that they could not even climb the ladder. They were probably minutes from being in a very serious situation.

Falling out of a boat while trolling alone is a real bad situation. If your not wearing your PFD, your in big trouble.

Getting back into a moving boat isn't going to happen.

Getting back into a stopped boat is a workout in itself. I don't have a ladder, I use the motor as well, but my boat isn't that high.....I'll have to measure, I may be over 20".....

S.

I have one of those great old school ladders with the rounded aluminum rail and wood slats.Two piece and is tied up in half with one of those heavy duty black bungy cords I will call them .Little stretch at all.Great for a dive in ,and easy coming in.

I recently looked at the regs for a boarding ladder. It is measured from the waters surface to the top of the gunnel. The question is exactly where. I think it was the rear forward of the transom. I have a boarding ladder and it isn't the easiest thing to climb. I wear a hydrostatic inflatable.

My new 2015 PolarKraft Frontier came with a small bracket/step used to board on the starboard side of the transom. It folds down and snaps into place very easily then flips up when not in use and it's made of METAL ! ! ! I think all new boats should have one.